Fondest Memory of MMOs

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
For what it's worth, the Wizard one was a damage shell as well. It was only like 400-800 points (I don't remember exactly), but it became a "must have". It definitely saved my life more than a few times. Maybe not in a raid situation, but absolutely while grouping or soloing.
It also gave a mana regen with the damage shield (think higher than any flowing thought item available at the time) if I recall?

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
It also gave a mana regen with the damage shield (think higher than any flowing thought item available at the time) if I recall?
rrr_img_79656.jpg
rrr_img_79657.png

It was awesome for quad kiting wizards for when you aggroed all your raptors, or the alien things on the moon (outdoor zone or the indoor one with the wurms) because after you "click sticked" them all to aggro you had to run in a circle for a bit to group them and then turn around and cast the AoE snare. If you had a fizzle or weren't fast enough, the mobs would bitch slap you a couple of times before doing it again. Sure the flowing thought was nice but for the solo wizzy the damage shield was almost better.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I liked the necro epic.

It had a long cast, but pre pop it was stillveryuseful for solo and some group/raid stuff because it did not care about global cooldown and saved a ton of mana. Soon as PoP was released the lure fast cast snare made it useless however.

In retrospect those PoAir drops were the worse part of the nec and most epic. That zone was soo awful and none wanted to raid it.
I played a Necro alt often enough to get his epic by the time Velious rolled around and actually raided some of PoP with him. I know some of the world best necros and NO ONE would use that stupid epic click unless you were somehow out of mana with nothing else to do. The entire point of the darkness line was snare. Of course it came with a very small dot component but no one really gave a shit about it. The snare was what it was all about for fear kiting, etc. No one sat around for 9 seconds to cast snare. No one.

From what I remember, everyone used Engulfing Darkness (lvl12) which cost a measly 60 mana with a 2.45s cast time. Could have been the next one up lvl29 that had a 4s cast time... can't remember. All I know is the DoT component of darkness line was completely negligible, so the longer cast times and higher mana cost were never worth casting any higher level versions.

*Edit* And the epic for comparison:
rrr_img_79660.jpg

9 Seconds for 65% snare (level 29 is 60% scaled to level)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Unfortunately, they opted not to let the wizard epic stack with beastlord regen buff so every one had to wait until the WoIF from Plane of Time for their epic upgrade, since that did stack and had a much shorter rune cast time.

Also, the first one was guaranteed to go to some seniority level douchebag who then went on deployment and was never seen again.

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
One thing that was funny back in the day (at least from my point of view) was when Legacy of Steel got suspended for "exploiting" in Vex Thal. The GM that did it was an officer in our guild (Triton). Just a few of us even knew he was a GM and we never said a word about the LoS thing. I know those guys were pissed, but the few of us that knew about it laughed at that shit for months.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
One thing that was funny back in the day (at least from my point of view) was when Legacy of Steel got suspended for "exploiting" in Vex Thal. The GM that did it was an officer in our guild (Triton). Just a few of us even knew he was a GM and we never said a word about the LoS thing. I know those guys were pissed, but the few of us that knew about it laughed at that shit for months.
Damn that's greasy. I remember that update too haha.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure he meant it was so bad (as in quality) that no one got it. I completed it on my Necro alt after my warrior and it wasn't that bad difficulty wise, it was just complete dogshit. Off the top of my head it was some stupid 9 second long cast time snare dot bullshit. Keep in mind, pretty much every necro worth a shit used the low level darkness snare dot because it was fast cast time and low mana vs the upper tier versions. So yea = worthless epic.
Lol necro epic. At least you got a nice earring from the little event in lake rathe. When I played on Vulak as a necro I ended up having to spend 20k on the golem gaunts because one of the stupid fucking officers in the guild decided to keep and not remind anyone he had a one for his necro alt. Stupid fuck Wulias.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Lol, necro stick; that shit was awful. I used my robes from temples of veeshan all the time, when bringing back a raid. Yes, it was 10 second cast time to summon a corpse but whatever, I'd summon other necros first.

Also, I used I think level 29 of darkness 'dooming', my engulfing would resist too often. Final note: I loved Splurt, and I used it a lot!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Honestly, all of the loot for casters was pretty much worthless before SoL came out, and even then it wasn't too much better until PoP came out. It was all just +more mana until maybe some VT loot, and into PoP, when casters started getting items that decreased cast time, increased damage, critical hit chances, decreased mana cost, etc.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
SK epic was cool! At least for non-large races who weren't killing the last three bosses of NTOV. Spear of Koi, Pal's axe, and there's probably one more that I am forgetting were all better, but with the ability to bash while using it (pre Luclin), the proc (which I honestly don't remember ever getting a resisted message. I'm sure it happened, but I just don't remember it) it was an actually decent tanking tool prior to 1hander/shields actually being useful for a time. And it benefited more from the 2h weapon buff based on delay more than the pally epic. Oh, and the primal shit was better on raw damage, I just swapped them back and forth like 90% of other shit. SKs early on (before they randomly became fotm that everyone had) had a lot of pretty awesome tools available to them, and being able to switch in the right one when needed was awesome. I'm sure other classes enjoyed this, but I think SKs enjoyed it more due to vast amount of effects we had on weapons and crap.

edit: etchazz... pretty sure focii were in the game with Luclin at some point. Maybe not release, but they were definitely there. And they were retroactively added to a shitload of items, especially those in TOV/Sleepers/et al. The looks department never really came along, as the best robes often looked like shit you could find in level 20 dungeons and what not.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
SK epic was cool! At least for non-large races who weren't killing the last three bosses of NTOV. Spear of Koi, Pal's axe, and there's probably one more that I am forgetting were all better
Flamberge off Tunare as well. Only one I ever saw drop for my guild went to an SK friend of the guild leader who proceeded to transfer servers and sell his account less than a month later. GG loot council vs DKP.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
I remember Spear of Dawn could proc on anything if you were LD (mot just undead), so some people would start a boss fight (like vulak) that had AEs and then force disconnect. The AE would keep them attacking and the spear would proc for tons of damage over the entire fight.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
I remember when my guild were struggling for tanks during Luclin a necro friend and I camped the DA hammer from GE for about a week so my pally could Rampage tank Emp. Worked a treat, Sword of Ssra dropped, and... the guild leader gave it to his girlfriend. I have so many happy memories of loot decisions in that guild.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
We never had problems with Chardok queen.

Necro epic was so fucking bad almost no one completed it.
I walked around with some other skull staff during this time. Forget the name, but it had right click fear on it. All the time people would give me congrats on getting my epic even though it was a totally different item. I know for a really, really long time only one necro on our server had one.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I walked around with some other skull staff during this time. Forget the name, but it had right click fear on it. All the time people would give me congrats on getting my epic even though it was a totally different item. I know for a really, really long time only one necro on our server had one.
Drops from Kaesora named guy iirc? Still sells pretty well on p99.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Shit from Necro epic was the pegasus cloak from Plane of Air (air?) nobody would really raid that hellhole because of shitty loots so I had to wait a few years before I could go back and get it

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Plane of Sky is the only raid I haven't taken part in. I've done some PUG shit that only got to the 3rd or 4th isle, but never a full clearing. /sigh

Oh, also Seru & the Grimling army too. We didn't do that either.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Seru had a glitch (can't remember how it worked now) and you could kill him easily.

I spent some time as a Guide in Zebux server, and it was like exploits everywhere.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Lol, necro stick; that shit was awful. I used my robes from temples of veeshan all the time, when bringing back a raid. Yes, it was 10 second cast time to summon a corpse but whatever, I'd summon other necros first.

Also, I used I think level 29 of darkness 'dooming', my engulfing would resist too often. Final note: I loved Splurt, and I used it a lot!
I never played a necro but a friend of mine did some quest to get a cap with splurt on it. It's been a long time so I could be wrong but I remember him being pretty damned happy with it.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Shaman epic, while a stat stick for 99% of its life had a joyous period of time where it was a clicky heal. It was some odd-ass bug that they introduced into the game, that made it a heal but only targettable like a detrimental spell. The beauty? You can cast detrimental spells on yourself. So you could click the spell on yourself and it would heal what it would normally do damage for. This meant it was a little stronger than torpor and didn't have the snare effect, plus it was mana free.