Forbes article got PEWPEWPEW'd off the internet

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
How much would a product cost if corporate executives were paid twice as much? would make a nice companion article

drychnath

Golden Knight of the Realm
How much would a product cost if corporate executives were paid twice as much? would make a nice companion article
Or half as much...

The article assumes that profits would stay the same absolute number, that's a bad assumption right there. If a company doesn't make a certain % margin, it's considered a bad investment and the stock price drops... It's not an assumption you can actually make in the real world.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The article doesn't really go into its assumptions, but I'm sure it's very simplified. If they alone of all of the fast food places started paying $15 an hour then I think they would see a fall in turnover, better quality employees, and an increase in productivity. No one cares about losing a McD job now, but if it paid twice what a similar job at a different company did?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If McDonalds workers got paid $15 what would the uptick in complaints be? There's a lot of shit we let slide because "it's the C-teamers" but if expectations are raised, every sandwich better be perfect and god forbid you don't give large size fries.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
How much money would the country saved in health care if they outlawed fast food? That's the bestest question.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I love that article. Please. PLEASE raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour. PLEASE. I can't wait to get the popcorn out.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
more blacks will live in slums and all the white rich ass kids with student debt will work for McDonald.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Why is the discussion centering around $15/hour anyways? Just because it's a neat rough doubling of the current one? Up here in Soviet Canuckistan it sits at around $10/hr in most provinces, and seems to work fine.

Besides, aren't there states and cities with minimum wages that approach $10/hr? Has there been any comparisons done on what fast food, or other retail goods cost vs. states with only the Federal minimum?

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
The issue isn't nearly as simple as they are trying to make it out to be. Raising the rate of pay increases the cost of business for McDonald's; they can counter this by raising prices. Raising prices will reduce the amount of volume they sell (fewer people, even if it's just a small %, will buy the Big Mac or whatever example it was at $4.68 vs $3.99). Reducing the volume they sell will increase the unit cost of each item they buy for their producers. Now the producers are in the same boat; they can raise their prices and that will trickle down. Eventually the price increases will expand beyond the sphere of just McDonald's into other businesses that are buying the same commodities (corn, soda, wheat, whatever).

There's no way this stays isolated at McDonald's. Who would want to work at Burger King for $7.25 when the exact same job at McDonald's pays $15? The industry standard for a McDonald's type job would become $15/hour. Eventually, "better" jobs that are currently paying $15 an hour will have to increase their wages because who would rather do low end programming work or whatever at $15/hour when they can go flip burgers for the same wage? So those jobs move to say, $25/hour. Then the $25/hour jobs have to increase their wages etc etc. The price of everything will increase to compensate, wages across the board will increase to compensate. It's a never ending cycle that will just make it so that in a few years time $15/hour has the same real world value that $7.25 an hour or whatever has right now and in 2025 the same people will be protesting that $15/hour isn't a livable wage.

The real problem is that a minimum wage position at McDonald's requires no skills at all. It's not a job or role in society or whatever you want to call it that should be providing wages for people to raise families and live off of. It's a job designed to be part time, for young kids or students and the like. Management and what not makes more than a livable wage. The industry standard for restaurant manager level (at least in the Northeast) is around $45k/year. The instant you try to make it a career opportunity for the bottom of the chain, the whole system will rebalance around that. The simple fact is people in this position are always going to be making the absolute minimum and the true value of money is just going to decrease to compensate for any increase provided.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Why is the discussion centering around $15/hour anyways?
We spent four billion dollars coming up with a number that poor people thought was "a lot".

No. Seriously. These people are fucking morons. I will tell them I'm having a sale and all items are 50% off after I triple the original price. And they will buy it.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
People are kidding themselves if they don't think the cost will be passed to the consumer, hell let's raise every bill we get $10 we can pay for everybody elses problem then.

small business's generate more hiring than corporations who can automate mininum wage increases only help corporations because it causes a labor surpluss the large corporations can manipulate and hurts small business generation.'

if you want to know why inflation keeps chomping at your purchasing power and why walmart is beating out small business you can look at the mininum wage and apply basic market principles.

any commodity even labor,if you set a price ceiling you will create a shortage, if you create a price floor you will create a surplus.

if your goal was to get more people employed and through the velocity of money generate more wealth for an area mininum wage hurts that, it prices the bottom rung out of the market, it further entrenches the economic divide between masses of poor and masses of middle class. it's actually the most anti-black law in the entire nation in that regard.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The issue isn't nearly as simple as they are trying to make it out to be. Raising the rate of pay increases the cost of business for McDonald's; they can counter this by raising prices. Raising prices will reduce the amount of volume they sell (fewer people, even if it's just a small %, will buy the Big Mac or whatever example it was at $4.68 vs $3.99). Reducing the volume they sell will increase the unit cost of each item they buy for their producers. Now the producers are in the same boat; they can raise their prices and that will trickle down. Eventually the price increases will expand beyond the sphere of just McDonald's into other businesses that are buying the same commodities (corn, soda, wheat, whatever).

There's no way this stays isolated at McDonald's. Who would want to work at Burger King for $7.25 when the exact same job at McDonald's pays $15? The industry standard for a McDonald's type job would become $15/hour. Eventually, "better" jobs that are currently paying $15 an hour will have to increase their wages because who would rather do low end programming work or whatever at $15/hour when they can go flip burgers for the same wage? So those jobs move to say, $25/hour. Then the $25/hour jobs have to increase their wages etc etc. The price of everything will increase to compensate, wages across the board will increase to compensate. It's a never ending cycle that will just make it so that in a few years time $15/hour has the same real world value that $7.25 an hour or whatever has right now and in 2025 the same people will be protesting that $15/hour isn't a livable wage.

I personally don't see an issue with kids first jobs being McDonalds and the like. It's when wages across the spectrum are so out of whack that even McDonalds jobs are in demand by people trying to raise a family that I feel like there is a problem. Raising minimum wage isn't the answer though. People not being stupid is.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

The real problem is that a minimum wage position at McDonald's requires no skills at all. It's not a job or role in society or whatever you want to call it that should be providing wages for people to raise families and live off of. It's a job designed to be part time, for young kids or students and the like. Management and what not makes more than a livable wage. The industry standard for restaurant manager level (at least in the Northeast) is around $45k/year. The instant you try to make it a career opportunity for the bottom of the chain, the whole system will rebalance around that. The simple fact is people in this position are always going to be making the absolute minimum and the true value of money is just going to decrease to compensate for any increase provided.
Hey man artificial inflation is a good thing.

What it comes down to is this is a litmus test for basic economics and logic. You think $15 an hour wage for flipping burgers is a good thing? You're a fucking moron and should stick to basket weaving and hand thrown pottery.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
I love that article. Please. PLEASE raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour. PLEASE. I can't wait to get the popcorn out.
Fuck any other form of entertainment. I go to McDonald's, sit in a booth, and watch them try to run the entire store with 3 employees for hours on end. Shit would be breathtakingly funny. I'd have a set of headphones pumping out Yakety Sax on an endless loop.

Also, I hate to be a dick, but it's your own damn fault you never learned a marketable skill. Getting a decent paying job isn't that hard as long as you aren't a complete fuck up. I do IT, and in the same building we hare our marketing/collections people, and some of them look and sound like Idiocracy rejects, and they're starting them out at like $15/hour.

If you're making $7.40 an hour @ the age of 30 your life went off the rails years before.

Zotha_sl

shitlord
Just for comparisons sake, minimum wage for an adult in fast food service in Australia is $16.18 and a Big Mac costs about $4.50-$4.75 depending on the restaurant.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea Australia's minimum wage is bonkers. I'm convinced it's just to bribe people in to staying on an island continent full of things that can murder humans in 2 seconds.