Ford v. Ferrari (2019)

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Watch the IOM TT .. Same thing still today, track side with bikes going past at 300+ kph .. People die almost every year

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Watch the IOM TT .. Same thing still today, track side with bikes going past at 300+ kph .. People die almost every year
Blows my mind every time those bikes get airborne and look like they're about to eat complete shit when they wobble at those speeds on landing.

Excited for this movie.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Isle of Man's a crazy race. Even just watching them race on video with a headcam is pant shitingly frightening.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Adam Carolla made a documentary about this a couple years ago that you can watch on Amazon Prime. I haven't seen it but if you're interested...

The $3.99 price is only if you don't have Prime.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Big part of racing history and iconic American Muscle. Sign me up.
American Muscle beating the tits off the smug Italians makes me happy in my pants. Knew what this was as soon as I saw the cars before it even said anything about what it was going to be. Ford being a joke at the time and taking the top 3 positions without a single Ferrari finishing the race.

Let's hope Bale can keep Damon from Team America'ing. MATT DAMON.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I have free tickets, but I need to go once the movie has been in theaters for at least 2 weeks. I'll definitely go to see this the weekend of the 30th. Has anyone else gone yet?

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Great movie, I liked it more than Rush (which is also great to begin with).

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today, it was ok. I liked it, but unlike amigo I thought Rush was a far better movie. I never really understood the characters that well in this movie, Bale was great but he seemed like car Rain Man. I didn't really understand why Damon did anything or what was even going on in his head, whereas with Rush I really felt like I understood what motivated Lauder and Hunt and there was a great contrast in personality.

It was also disappointing that we never really got much of a peek at Ford or Ferrari, woulda loved more insight as to what made those men tick and while the movie is probably realistic it coulda used a touch of over-dramatization in their "conflict". They kinda come across as buffoons here. Shelby is also a much more interesting person IRL than we see in the movie, he was married 7 times including a few weeks to a New Zealand chick who he married to get her a visa, and he had tons of affairs with Hollywood actresses. None of that is here :(

With Frozen 2 taking up all the oxygen in 3 days, not really much time to see this in the good theaters. I saw it in Dolby and the sound is absolutely fantastic, your seats fucking rumble constantly. Must be pretty cool in 4DX or whatever too. Still, I'd say unless you are a HUGE racing car fan (and you probably already saw it then) just wait for it on HBO/Netflix

I don't really follow car racing that much but it blew my mind that Le Mans is actually 24 hours of actual racing. Thats just nuts. Sure, 2 people swap but I don't really get it at all

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i am a car guy, and am looking forward to seeing this

Saw this today, it was ok. I liked it, but unlike amigo I thought Rush was a far better movie. I never really understood the characters that well in this movie, Bale was great but he seemed like car Rain Man. I didn't really understand why Damon did anything or what was even going on in his head, whereas with Rush I really felt like I understood what motivated Lauder and Hunt and there was a great contrast in personality.

It was also disappointing that we never really got much of a peek at Ford or Ferrari, woulda loved more insight as to what made those men tick and while the movie is probably realistic it coulda used a touch of over-dramatization in their "conflict". They kinda come across as buffoons here. Shelby is also a much more interesting person IRL than we see in the movie, he was married 7 times including a few weeks to a New Zealand chick who he married to get her a visa, and he had tons of affairs with Hollywood actresses. None of that is here :(

With Frozen 2 taking up all the oxygen in 3 days, not really much time to see this in the good theaters. I saw it in Dolby and the sound is absolutely fantastic, your seats fucking rumble constantly. Must be pretty cool in 4DX or whatever too. Still, I'd say unless you are a HUGE racing car fan (and you probably already saw it then) just wait for it on HBO/Netflix

I don't really follow car racing that much but it blew my mind that Le Mans is actually 24 hours of actual racing. Thats just nuts. Sure, 2 people swap but I don't really get it at all
Le Mans is a crazy race, it has a bloody past as well.
google the pics, too grisly to post here.

Fadaar

That guy
Cirque de Sarthe without the little dingly bit on the long straight is my favorite course in Forza games

dizzie

Triggered Happy
i am a car guy, and am looking forward to seeing this

Le Mans is a crazy race, it has a bloody past as well.
google the pics, too grisly to post here.

It was insane back in the day. A bunch of spectators got decapitated by the flying bonnet of a car in the Le Mans 1955 disaster when it came off during the crash.

There's footage here that's suitable to watch, you see the car parts just fly into the crowd. The bonnets like a huge shuriken and ploughs through the spectators at shoulder level.

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I watched the film a few days back. 7.5/10

Pretty good film, it captured the feel, the danger etc of the effort involved in trying to topple the Ferrari dominance.

Good performances all around.

I felt like some of the script was a little too cookie cutter for my liking. Mostly the un-likable corporate jerk character, was there a need to have him be there as that part? did the film need a 'bad-guy' like that?

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw this today. Really enjoyed it. Good story overall. Another successful racing movie. The end was a little weak, but the main chunk of the movie was great. They probably should have ended with the race, then put everything else in text before the credits.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Great fucking movie. I did get teary eyed, didn't know about miles story. Friend that's a huge car nerd said a lot of the movie was accurate

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
^^^

It pretty much is as accurate as they could make it. Which is saying a lot ( re: ending of Argo )

The only main thing that they skip is that the Ford team did two failed attempts at LeMans, one without Ken Miles, then he joined, helped Shelby develope the car yes, but the first time the team as we see them in the film went to LeMans, the cars didn't even finish, it was only on their third attempt, second with Ken Miles that they got a win and had all 3 cars finish.

I can see the reason why they left that out of the story as you'd need a much longer film and also to have it so that there's a build up and only to fail, followed by another build up and then success.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you cut Josh Lucas out maybe you have room for the middle attempt. I generally like him and he gets you to instantly hate him whenever he's playing the bad guy but I've preferred him as the protagonist.

Haven't watched a good old car movie in quite a while, was enjoyable.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Props to whoever it was that recommended Rush earlier in the thread, but you left out that it wasn't just Thor, it was Thor vs Zemo!