Fun Ass Indie Games for < AAA

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Sometimes it's hard to find some of the great indie games on steam so I figure we should drop our favorites in here, old and new. Here's my top 5 that I always find myself going back to:

Binding of Isaac
Dungeons of Dredmor
Heroes of Hammerwatch
Project Zomboid
Rimworld

Any go to games that ya'll have put a lot of hours into?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dead Cells
Hollow Knight
Slay the Spire
Darkest Dungeon

If these aren’t all sub-20 bucks, they’re pretty close to it. All excellent games.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Rimworld is well above $20 so I'm going to ignore the price bit.

Factorio
Kenshi
The Long Dark
Euro Truck 2
FTL

All fair priced games made by small indie studios that didn't assfuck the privilege of early-access, and that can offer hundreds of hours of gameplay each.

• 2Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Good lists.

I've been playing Rogue Empire, its an absolute shit game with RNG that is way out there, but it offers the promise of snowballing it after enough grind, so I am tormented

Euro Truck 2

Do you get mostly drunk and slack about until you drive into the back of a traffic jam or something?

Review would be nice.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Do you get mostly drunk and slack about until you drive into the back of a traffic jam or something?

Review would be nice.

My first dozen hours or so was an endless series of horrific wrecks. What followed was over a hundred hours of the most zen-inducing gameplay I've ever experienced. It's an incredibly relaxing stress-free experience that is exactly what's called for at times rather than needing to think about complex logistical gameplay or bullet hells or whatever.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't think I can emotionally handle being in gridlock traffic and having that be a feature of my fantasy video game.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I forgot to mention terraria, man I have some hours in that and it has great mods if you wanna take it further

• 3Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't think I can emotionally handle being in gridlock traffic and having that be a feature of my fantasy video game.

It's mostly highway travel so you spend very little time being limited by AI vehicles. There's an occasional issue with the AI being stupid and trying to pass at the wrong time or whatever, but it's rare enough to add spice to it rather than making it a shitty experience.

-

Essentially the core gameplay is like go to A > Pickup load > go to B > drop load (kek) but there's also buying and upgrading your truck, hiring drivers to drive loads for you, buying garages to base out of, and there's a lot of area to drive to, with a good number of DLC expansions. Some trips can take over an hour. Goes really well with a beer or two after a stressful day.

• 2Like

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not built for survival games. The Long Dark is too fucking hard for me.

Szlia

Papers, please! Historico-political satire, brilliant execution of a simple concept. My GOTY for 2013.
Stephen's Sausage Roll The best puzzle game ever designed. 100% meat, 0% fat. My GOTY for 2016.
Proteus Almost more of a therapeutic tool than a game. It's about walking around on a low-fi digital island, basking in the sights and sounds, in awe of this synthetic nature that surprisingly strongly evokes the real one.
Environmental Station Alpha Extremely well designed Metroidvania, also packed full of secrets and post game.

Full disclosure: I am credited as tester in the last three games.

Bonus: rRootage a 2003 freeware (not on steam, just google it) which is a kind of multi-purpose bullet hell simulator with modes that mimic classics such as Psyvariar or Ikaruga.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Papers, please! Historico-political satire, brilliant execution of a simple concept. My GOTY for 2013.
Stephen's Sausage Roll The best puzzle game ever designed. 100% meat, 0% fat. My GOTY for 2016.
Proteus Almost more of a therapeutic tool than a game. It's about walking around on a low-fi digital island, basking in the sights and sounds, in awe of this synthetic nature that surprisingly strongly evokes the real one.
Environmental Station Alpha Extremely well designed Metroidvania, also packed full of secrets and post game.

Full disclosure: I am credited as tester in the last three games.

Bonus: rRootage a 2003 freeware (not on steam, just google it) which is a kind of multi-purpose bullet hell simulator with modes that mimic classics such as Psyvariar or Ikaruga.

paper's please is awesome

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You should check out Cart Life if you enjoyed Paper's Please. It's very similar but in this you're an eastern european immigrant trying to make ends-meet by running your little cart shop. It's free (dude made it open source) though I can't seem to find a 100% safe download for it at the moment.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I agree I hate the ones that are just absurdly hard for no real reason other than fuck you that's why.

ya dead cells wasn't nearly as hard as gungeon for me

I just hate the mechanic where the more you unlock, the worse your starting rng. As a new player figuring out I would have to restart and not pick them up just to avoid this is just picard for me.

I need to try isaac and finish dredmoore.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Terraria
Hotline Miami 1+2
Bastion
Trine
Torchlight
Rogue Legacy

• 1Like

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Some trips can take over an hour. Goes really well with a beer or two after a stressful day.
jMdLWpO.jpg

Battle Brothers, wait for a sale to catch it under $20
Avernum series
Legend of Grimrock

• 7Worf
  • 5Like
Reactions: 11 users