Fun Ass Indie Games for < AAA

spronk

FPS noob
i've enjoyed Yoku Island Express on switch, its like a mix of a platformer and a pinball game

not sure it'd be as good on pc/consoles, handheld switch mode is really good for the game

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
We somehow forgot to mention Mount & Blade

Two free down the rabbit hole options:

Cataclysm DDA: ascii (or tiles) zombie horror survival RPG with extensive character customization and neat mechanics. Has a nice sci-fi spin to the genre. It's very similar to Fallout 1/2 in ways. My last character was a fireaxe wielding drug-addict cyborg that had schizophrenic hallucinations and eventually died to a grenade launcher wielding zombie. Project Zomboid is based off of this game if I'm not mistaken.

And Dwarf Fortress of course. It's Rimworld on crack and Adderall. Simulate a world's entire history and then join in. Be sure to dig too greedily and too deep.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If somehow anyone hasn't actually gotten around to it yet -- Undertale is great.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
They Bleed Pixels. Happens to be 1.99 right now on steam, normally $10. Love the atmosphere of this one.
Touhou Luna Nights, a metroidvania, feels very polished.
Plague Inc.

• 1Solidarity

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Transistor
Bastion
The Forest
Aragami
Pit People
Mark of the Ninja
Wizard of legend
Dead Cells
Heat Signature
Hotline Miami
Guns, Gore and Cannoli 2
Magicka
Bladed Fury
Into the breach
Slay the Spire
Darkest Dungeon
Cuphead
Crosscode
Salt and Sanctuary
BattleBlock Theater
Darkwood

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Monster Slayers
Book of Demons

Two good ones I haven’t seen mentioned yet.

• 1Like

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
Throwing in a plug for UnReal World it's a roguelike game set in a low fantasy world, modeled after what is now Finland during the iron age. It has a pretty realistic feel to it, for example there are no coins and if you want to trade, you have to barter goods. It takes a while to figure out how to play but I had a lot of fun with it.

Heres a shot of my character as he managed to sneak within a few meters of a hawk.
URW Goshawk.png

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Amod Amod will you take the "under $20" off, I realize now that there are a lot of very awesome indie games that go up to 40 bucks, games that wreck 60 dollar AAA assholes, thx

I mainly put the $20 on there because there are so many high quality games that are less, but might as well catch all the greats in here

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
World of Goo. I'm not a big puzzle fan, but this one is just amazing. And the music is outstanding.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

I think I have 250 hrs in Kenshi. I hope they add more map and lore and take more of my money. I kinda want a Bone Dog and Pack Bull to follow me everywhere in RL.

• 1Like

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Child of Light may not be an indie game technically since it's published by Ubisoft oddly enough. But it certainly fits what you would expect from one. It's also 4.49 on ps store right now and is really good.

Cosmic Star heroine is the only Indie game i have that i don't see mentioned so far. It trys very hard to be a 16 bit rpg so if you liked those SNES rpgs you might wanna give it a try.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We somehow forgot to mention Mount & Blade

Two free down the rabbit hole options:

Cataclysm DDA: ascii (or tiles) zombie horror survival RPG with extensive character customization and neat mechanics. Has a nice sci-fi spin to the genre. It's very similar to Fallout 1/2 in ways. My last character was a fireaxe wielding drug-addict cyborg that had schizophrenic hallucinations and eventually died to a grenade launcher wielding zombie. Project Zomboid is based off of this game if I'm not mistaken.

And Dwarf Fortress of course. It's Rimworld on crack and Adderall. Simulate a world's entire history and then join in. Be sure to dig too greedily and too deep.

Dwarf Fortress is a ton of fun. With all the third party tilesets out there you don't even have to deal with the ASCII. Even though the ASCII interface has it's charm.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think I have 250 hrs in Kenshi. I hope they add more map and lore and take more of my money. I kinda want a Bone Dog and Pack Bull to follow me everywhere in RL.

What makes Kenshi so good?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Child of Light may not be an indie game technically since it's published by Ubisoft oddly enough. But it certainly fits what you would expect from one. It's also 4.49 on ps store right now and is really good.

Cosmic Star heroine is the only Indie game i have that i don't see mentioned so far. It trys very hard to be a 16 bit rpg so if you liked those SNES rpgs you might wanna give it a try.

I loved child of light.