Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
So my external hard drive took a shit yesterday. Was nothing great. Western Digital 1tb. I got it at a fair price during black friday about 3 years ago. It started clicking, and wouldnt load shit, which sucks because I have about 10 years worth of stuff saved on it. It started working intermittently, which luckily has given me the opportunity to get all of the most important stuff off of it, though it has taken almost 24 hours to transfer about 60gb.

Anyways, what is a good and affordable hard drive out there right now with a low/no fail rate?

rrr_img_104503.jpg
who in their right mind would store data on an external drive? and not backup important data?
speaking of drives my WD's have not failed me yet. Been using them for years. Right now I'm rocking about 20TB of storage space on my main rig that is working 24/7. 3TB ones are like 100 bucks (green) although the last two I bought were Red NAS ones which are around 110.

fucking pic too

rrr_img_104570.jpg

If you are looking for a replacement drive for you to work with everyday go SSD. Its one of those technologies that once you go SSD you wont go back. Depending on how much data you have you might want to get an SSD drive for your OS and applications and a mechanical drive for your data.

TheSamsung 840 Pro SSDgets really good reviews.

If you are looking for a drive as a backup option here is what I do. I have several TB's worth of movies, music, pics. e-books etc that I would hate to lose at this point. So I have my main drives where the data lives, I then backup that data to an external USB drive that is permanently attached to my PC that strictly acts as a backup incase my main PC dies. I then have another external usb drive that I do a full backup on every 6 months or so and leave at a buddies house for safe keeping. That's my "off site" copy in case shit gets real bad. My friend doesn't mind because I let him have access to all that shit so he has more movies and music then he can deal with.
Seems like the SSD is the way to go for what I need. I mainly have pictures and music, and could probably get away with 250gb. They seem to be reasonably price now, so it wont kill the wallet too bad.

Sterling

El Presidente
Seems like the SSD is the way to go for what I need. I mainly have pictures and music, and could probably get away with 250gb. They seem to be reasonably price now, so it wont kill the wallet too bad.
SSD is just for your OS and games and shit you need to run fast. Do not put media on one it's a waste.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Goto the desktop help thread in technology, what you want to do is wrong and not worthwhile (buying a ssd and putting shit on it)

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
You guys are silly. If he can fit all his os/apps/data on a 256GB SSD hard drive that costs $100 there isn't shit wrong with that. If we were talking multiple TB's of data then I would agree that the cost wouldn't be worth it. But for such a small amount of data it would be dumb to buy an ssd drive for system files and a mechanical drive just for data. If you can fit all your shit on one $100 SSD drive buy that shit and call it a day.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
You guys are silly. If he can fit all his os/apps/data on a 256GB SSD hard drive that costs $100 there isn't shit wrong with that. If we were talking multiple TB's of data then I would agree that the cost wouldn't be worth it. But for such a small amount of data it would be dumb to buy an ssd drive for system files and a mechanical drive just for data. If you can fit all your shit on one $100 SSD drive buy that shit and call it a day.
rrr_img_104590.jpg

agripa

Molten Core Raider
So my external hard drive took a shit yesterday. Was nothing great. Western Digital 1tb. I got it at a fair price during black friday about 3 years ago. It started clicking, and wouldnt load shit, which sucks because I have about 10 years worth of stuff saved on it. It started working intermittently, which luckily has given me the opportunity to get all of the most important stuff off of it, though it has taken almost 24 hours to transfer about 60gb.

Anyways, what is a good and affordable hard drive out there right now with a low/no fail rate?

rrr_img_104503.jpg
rma it those drives have a 5 year warranty.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
even Kristen Stewart did a better job than Channing Tatum
rrr_img_104598.jpg
Why am I now suddenly really attracted to her in that open-mouthed pic? I mean, I realize she's attractive, but I've been repulsed by her personality for the most part for years. That pic though, hmm. I'm so confused now.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why am I now suddenly really attracted to her in that open-mouthed pic? I mean, I realize she's attractive, but I've been repulsed by her personality for the most part for years. That pic though, hmm. I'm so confused now.
Because she's trying to look like Emma Watson.

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
I use a couple of these Samsung Pro 840 drives, really fast and priced just right. I also backup all my data daily at 9am to a QNAP NAS
rrr_img_104620.png
TS-469 Pro :: QNAPdecent NAS, though WD makes a nice NAS now it seems. I have WD RED drives installed in mine and its on 24x7 for a few years now (no issues) and its also running my Plex server and all my movies are served up from it. I also have a ReadyNAS Duo with some Seagate NAS drives but after the 3rd drive failure I gave up on it and Seagate.