Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Jait

Molten Core Raider
People who join the military somehow think that magically grants them some metalevel of understanding beyond ordinary citizens in the same way organized religion does. Truth is it just makes some, well many, even more ignorant to reality. You'll find just as much a cross section of retards as anywhere else, and plenty of my friends who didn't serve know just as much if not more than I do about civic duty and all that bullshit. And I come from a very long line of military service. We shouldn't need to say things like that, but apparently we have to in order to join in the conversation.

tl/dr Fedor is right

rrr_img_48942.gif

Jais

Trakanon Raider
People who join the military somehow think that magically grants them some metalevel of understanding beyond ordinary citizens in the same way organized religion does. Truth is it just makes some, well many, even more ignorant to reality. You'll find just as much a cross section of retards as anywhere else, and plenty of my friends who didn't serve know just as much if not more than I do about civic duty and all that bullshit. And I come from a very long line of military service. We shouldn't need to say things like that, but apparently we have to in order to join in the conversation.
I feel like spending four years in the Marine Corps infantry gives me an understanding of it that those who didn't lack. I never meant to imply that I have some deeper understanding of civic virtue or patriotism. I joined for my own reasons and they weren't strictly for God and Country or the like. But having gone through it, I feel like I have more of an understanding of it than those who haven't, like a lot of professions, trades what have yous.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Hey look, a marine got rustled over my saying a book he likes that is about how glorious it is to be a marine is a book about how glorious it is to be a marine. Don't get mad at me. I said I liked the book. My criticisms of Starship Troopers are not special, unique, or even uncommon. I prefer The Forever War.

rrr_img_48943.jpg

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Hey look, a marine got rustled over my saying a book he likes that is about how glorious it is to be a marine is a book about how glorious it is to be a marine. Don't get mad at me. I said I liked the book. My criticisms of Starship Troopers are not special, unique, or even uncommon. I prefer The Forever War.
*Marine.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Why did I click that?

I can assure anyone that is curious that the first 30 seconds or so isn't "pretty funny". If something funny happened later on, I never made it there. I don't even know why I watched those 30 seconds, maybe I was expecting something else to happen than what actually did? I don't know
frown.png
But I make it a rule to click every Fedor link/spoiler, so I'm still batting 1.000.

Grimsark

I feel like spending four years in the Marine Corps infantry gives me an understanding of it that those who didn't lack. I never meant to imply that I have some deeper understanding of civic virtue or patriotism. I joined for my own reasons and they weren't strictly for God and Country or the like. But having gone through it, I feel like I have more of an understanding of it than those who haven't, like a lot of professions, trades what have yous.
I had the pleasure of actually watching Starship Troopers after it hit theaters, shortly after I was stationed in Okinawa. Lucky for me, it was at the Navy base theater FULL OF MARINES.

Best damn time I ever had, watching a movie, in my life.

rrr_img_48945.jpg

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I guess with the Marine Corp b-day and Veterans day coming up this is not a completely useless derail?

rrr_img_48947.png

image.png

humor-other_00225592.jpg

owl.jpg

meh.ro10924.jpg

Marko_sl

shitlord
For what it's worth, RAH discussed his reasons for writing Starship Troopers in the anthology 'Expanded Universe'.

IIRC, Starship Troopers was written in a fit of anger at the Eisenhower Administration for suspending nuclear testing while the Soviets happily went forward with nuclear testing. He wrote it in something of haste and over the years represented the book differently as his ideas evolved and got nuttier.

rrr_img_48949.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
you missed the subtext, watch it again
Something makes me think this is a trap....

On the subject of Starship Troopers, that was the first "sci-fi" book I ever read as a kid (5th grade I believe), and I absolutely loved it. Reading it later it doesn't hold the same attraction for me, for various reasons, but it made me want to read more sci-fi, so I'll forever be grateful.

If you want to know just how out there Heinlein really was at times, try reading some of his later books. I was heavy into Iron Maiden and such a few years later and picked up Heinlein's book The Number of the Beast for obvious reasons. While the teenager in me enjoyed all of the rampant sex depicted in it, that book was fucking whacked. I'm not saying that Starship Troopers is a bad book, or trying to ascribe any particular meaning to it (because unless the author specifically says what he intended for any book, I've always felt there isn't much point in arguing about it), but just pointing out that he wrote some exceedingly weird shit, so there are any number of other reasons I could invent for the true meaning behind Starship Troopers as well.

To be honest, I loved the movie far more than the book because it was clearly tongue-in-cheek, whereas my 5th grade mind wasn't sure about the book. And still isn't.

Pics somewhat related.