Funny, Strange, Random Pics

FiReBReTHa

N00b
secretary of education

idiocracy2.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
We put man on the moon with engineers who were mostly educated using nothing more than a textbook and a blackboard. Now we use computers and all the new teaching methods and we can't graduate kids that can make change at McDonalds.

My dad is in this pic, it's a series of famous depression era photagraphs and this one was taken at his school in San Augustine, TX. He never went past highschool and ran a team of engineers all his life doing design work and still does to this day at age 74. Yet we have people that can't add 2+2 despite millions more spent on them
frown.png

2179121221_3140ba5238_z.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Back then only the best of the best and the wealthy got those educations. We as a population are better at math than we were 50 years ago, the difference is we have higher standards for the WHOLE population now, and not just a tiny subset of it.
Were talking about basic math, not who gets into MIT.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Speaking from what my kids bring home, they still place an emphasis on rote memorization of single digit addition and the subsequent subtraction of up to 18. What these methods do though, is they allow teachers to go into more advanced forms of math at an earlier age by, as Chris stated, breaking it down a bit more into something they can understand. I pointed out earlier that my daughter, who is in first grade, brought home an assignment that had her doing a form of division. And she did it, even though she didn't necessarily make that connection. All she knew is that she had to break up 12 boxes into smaller, equal groups of boxes. Initially she broke it into groups of three boxes, creating four groups total, but afterward she said, "I kind of want to do it with two boxes so I can get six groups."

Education as a whole has moved on past what was used when we were kids. A lot of it has to do with the understanding that people learn in different ways. What common core is trying to do is create a means by which the primary methods of learning (visual, audio, kinetic) are combined in the lessons so everyone learns. It seems more complex than it actually is.

TLDR: Bitch all you want, common core is here until something else comes along.

Pic not related:

rrr_img_65047.jpg

Borzak

And Borzak was specifically talking about world class engineers solving massive problems, i.e. those who got into MIT...or more accurately for the period, went to highschool/college at all. Middle school students weren't getting us to the moon.
How do you explain kids with a high school degree (I personally do not have one) that can't make change at McDonalds if the machine doesn't tell them?

I know everyone but 1 person in that pic I posted. Everyone was just as poor as my dad who were failed cotton farmers during the depression (working someone elses land) and all the ones I know became sucessful people who do math everyday.

When we have our frequent hurricanes and the stores don't have power they often resort to having stuff priced to exactly a multiple of a dollar with tax because the young people can't make change without a powered cash register.

Borzak

Speaking from what my kids bring home, they still place an emphasis on rote memorization of single digit addition and the subsequent subtraction of up to 18. What these methods do though, is they allow teachers to go into more advanced forms of math at an earlier age by, as Chris stated, breaking it down a bit more into something they can understand. I pointed out earlier that my daughter, who is in first grade, brought home an assignment that had her doing a form of division. And she did it, even though she didn't necessarily make that connection. All she knew is that she had to break up 12 boxes into smaller, equal groups of boxes. Initially she broke it into groups of three boxes, creating four groups total, but afterward she said, "I kind of want to do it with two boxes so I can get six groups."

Education as a whole has moved on past what was used when we were kids. A lot of it has to do with the understanding that people learn in different ways. What common core is trying to do is create a means by which the primary methods of learning (visual, audio, kinetic) are combined in the lessons so everyone learns. It seems more complex than it actually is.

TLDR: Bitch all you want, common core is here until something else comes along.

Pic not related:

rrr_img_65047.jpg
The only thing wrong with the old way was kids who didn't want to pay attention or a couple of generations who saw no value of learning while actually in school. If you can't read/write and do simple addition by the time you graduate you either have a severe learning disability or just don't give a fuck.

Education may have moved on but we're not graduating kids that are any smarter.

Reading some of the political threads I often feel like asking if nobody knows people who started with basically nothing and became very well off?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Are our children too fucking stupid to comprehend basic subtraction in this day and age? What voodoo magic is going to be taught when theyre learning calculus?
I know right? I was starting college at age 7, it only takes one lesson to learn each thing right? In fact I'm pretty sure I was BORN knowing this shit.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
How do you explain kids with a high school degree (I personally do not have one) that can't make change at McDonalds if the machine doesn't tell them?

I know everyone but 1 person in that pic I posted. Everyone was just as poor as my dad who were failed cotton farmers during the depression (working someone elses land) and all the ones I know became sucessful people who do math everyday.

When we have our frequent hurricanes and the stores don't have power they often resort to having stuff priced to exactly a multiple of a dollar with tax because the young people can't make change without a powered cash register.
I think you're answering your own question. Many people are bad at basic math nowadays because they don'tneedto be good at it. Because, as you've said, we have shit like powered cash registers and everyone walks around with a calculator in their pocket (phone). How many baby boomers do you know that can't use a computer or operate a smart phone to save their lives? I know many. Different generations, different technology, different skillsets emphasized in the daily lives of average people.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Are our children too fucking stupid to comprehend basic subtraction in this day and age? What voodoo magic is going to be taught when theyre learning calculus?
Lets be honest... any children who need that new way to do simple subtraction probably aren't going to be taking calculus ever

lower case g

Lord Nagafen Raider
The problem is, in the U.S. at least, education reform has become a business. If you "fix" education, then there is no more government money coming in.
rrr_img_65052.jpg

• 1Jew
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know a guy who knows a guy with a bar or restaurant or whatever and they say they go through 20 waitresses before they find one that can actually add up a bill with 5 items without error.

The simple type of course, 2.40, 3.30, 5.90...

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem is, in the U.S. at least, education reform has become a business. If you "fix" education, then there is no more government money coming in.
rrr_img_65052.jpg
That comic's pretty fucking dumb, it's insinuating black people somehow excel in our current system.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
That comic's pretty fucking dumb, it's insinuating black people somehow excel in our current system.
Have you thought about changing the system to be about swimming? Pools closed. It's a dolphin's world again, haHAA!

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
ITT: people who only know how to do something one way, saying that's the best and only way needed. It's funny in a sad kinda way, most of you would be in the Political thread mocking Republicans who want woman to stay at home and raise kids, and have no access to birth control. You know, like it used to be.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
ITT: people who only know how to do something one way, saying that's the best and only way needed. It's funny in a sad kinda way, most of you would be in the Political thread mocking Republicans who want woman to stay at home and raise kids, and have no access to birth control. You know, like it used to be.
rrr_img_65054.jpg

Conflating conservatism and birth control is a new low for this thread. Congratulations!