Furor's 14 Days rant & First Look at WoW

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Was Tigole married at any point through any of this? Or was he a single guy smarter than all these retards, despite his name?

Cybsled

Did Tigole get caught up in this? His resignation seems suspiciously timed now.

His team has mentioned it was one of the few "safe" spots at Blizzard and no one has said anything. The only "damning" thing anyone has said about him is "he knew Alex!!!" and the EQ1 shared history.

He would have been tossed on the sacrificial bonfire long ago if something was up. I strongly suspect his departure was 100% related to Overwatch 2 - progress was too slow for the likes of Darth Kotick. Notice that very shortly after Jeff left, Aaron Keller did a progress update where they showed the 1 tank meta build which left a lot of people head scratching because they had already tried that experiment in OW1 and the consensus was it just didn't work. To me that was a sign of "our former boss got outed for too slow progress, so lets hastily toss some shit together to show that we are making progress".

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I just got so fucking bored of raiding. EQ1 with its endless trash clears, which became even more boring when I wasn't even doing the pulls anymore. Then a brain dead gear check bosses. 15+ hour raid marathons because of bullshit design in some spots.

Then WoW came out and gave it a go again. Made it until Naxx, got sick of the same shit and boring trash clears, got benched by my guild in WoW after I publicly mentioned this fact, then I just stopped caring anymore and went full casual. I don't even like to do savage trials in FFXIV. And the short time I spent in Eureka gave me such EQ1 PTSD than I noped the fuck out of there and have never returned.
When they added that Raid Pick Up grouping in WoW it was a revelation. You could join a bunch of fellow scrubs and do powered-down versions of dungeons and raids and get powered-down sets and weapons that actually looked cool and had decent stats and bonuses.

Then the elitist super nerds realized the unwashed masses were actually having fun in the game and didn't want to join their Suck My Dick Because I am the Leader guilds. The super nerds complained so loudly that Blizzard pared it all back to useless equipment that had base armor appearances.

It was so fucking petty and retarded that was the point I quit WoW, and ultimately MMOs, for good. They had a really good thing there that would keep the casuals on subscription but they had to fuck it up. I realized long before WoW that raiding was retarded, and I wasn't going to waste hours and hours waiting on people and then still see it all get fucked up or watching gear pass me by. Maybe I was narcissitic or something but I thought from a very early point that my time was worth far more than that, and I certainly wasn't going to sit there quietly while some neckbeard or ADD kid yelled at everyone like they were a drill sergeant.

I went back to EQ through Steam a couple of times but just solo'd a shammy with a merc to get my Epic 1 spear and roam through stuff I had not seen before. Was fun killing shit in easy access PoP that used to require groups. But it was ultimately boring. I still enjoyed the get to camp/pull/wait for respawn cycle, but it didn't have the same allure.

Yeah, sorry diary, entry done for today. Still haven't asked Sarah to the prom yet.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
When they added that Raid Pick Up grouping in WoW it was a revelation. You could join a bunch of fellow scrubs and do powered-down versions of dungeons and raids and get powered-down sets and weapons that actually looked cool and had decent stats and bonuses.

Then the elitist super nerds realized the unwashed masses were actually having fun in the game and didn't want to join their Suck My Dick Because I am the Leader guilds. The super nerds complained so loudly that Blizzard pared it all back to useless equipment that had base armor appearances.

It was so fucking petty and retarded that was the point I quit WoW, and ultimately MMOs, for good. They had a really good thing there that would keep the casuals on subscription but they had to fuck it up. I realized long before WoW that raiding was retarded, and I wasn't going to waste hours and hours waiting on people and then still see it all get fucked up or watching gear pass me by. Maybe I was narcissitic or something but I thought from a very early point that my time was worth far more than that, and I certainly wasn't going to sit there quietly while some neckbeard or ADD kid yelled at everyone like they were a drill sergeant.

I went back to EQ through Steam a couple of times but just solo'd a shammy with a merc to get my Epic 1 spear and roam through stuff I had not seen before. Was fun killing shit in easy access PoP that used to require groups. But it was ultimately boring. I still enjoyed the get to camp/pull/wait for respawn cycle, but it didn't have the same allure.

Yeah, sorry diary, entry done for today. Still haven't asked Sarah to the prom yet.
They killed LFR because the 1% bitched about it? rofl

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
They killed LFR because the 1% bitched about it? rofl
That or they didn't want the extra work for coding in the powered down versions. I don't know, but the raucous cries of the Haves over the "welfare epics" was Legion at the time. Pun intended.

IMO it was the single best thing Blizzard ever added to a maturing WoW, and its nerfing killed any interest I had in MMOs, evermore.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That or they didn't want the extra work for coding in the powered down versions. I don't know, but the raucous cries of the Haves over the "welfare epics" was Legion at the time. Pun intended.

IMO it was the single best thing Blizzard ever added to a maturing WoW, and its nerfing killed any interest I had in MMOs, evermore.
MoP was what killed my interest in WoW, but LFR felt great with my giant alt army.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Raiding isn't all bad. The first time my guild on the test server beat Vishimtar after failing it many, many times was amazing. I was the main tank/raid leader and to see each group go from total chaos to it all clicking and everyone doing their job at the same time it was one of the funnest evenings I can remember and I don't even know what he dropped. That said though, the thousands of hours of grinding, recruiting, farming, dealing with all sorts of drama etc. that it takes to make those moments happen just aren't worth it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
we somehow did it, but it was a clusterfuck of miscommunication. no surprise a lot of us ubers noped out of this game after PoP. i think that was the intention. they didnt like the hardcore raiders burning through entire expansion in 3 months and farming magelo profiles til the next expansion. probably because the end game wasnt finished and they would have to roadblock us til it was done. they did that in velius with the sleeper's tomb revamp. they did it in luclin with DT emp ssra+endless rare key piece farming, they did it in PoP with Rahe Council and they did it with the silly expansion afterward til i quit.

Actually, for as long as I was on the team, it was WELL understood that the bleeding edge guilds would absolutely murder any content we put out in a matter of weeks. The ONE time we tried really hard to give those guilds a challenge was Underfoot, and man that pissed off a HUGE segment of the playerbase, because it was pretty hard. In hindsight, I think it was tuned pretty well, and the majority of complaints were from people who used to solo everything who now couldn't. So they whined. But orders from the top came down that we made it too hard and had to 'fix it'. So /shrug.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Actually, for as long as I was on the team, it was WELL understood that the bleeding edge guilds would absolutely murder any content we put out in a matter of weeks. The ONE time we tried really hard to give those guilds a challenge was Underfoot, and man that pissed off a HUGE segment of the playerbase, because it was pretty hard. In hindsight, I think it was tuned pretty well, and the majority of complaints were from people who used to solo everything who now couldn't. So they whined. But orders from the top came down that we made it too hard and had to 'fix it'. So /shrug.
we had a few theories, some of them likely wrong. like when we did the death touching emperor ssrazaaa(sp) we were happy as hell because we worked out a strategy to beat him and the encounter was so hard that way, we felt like it was a great accomplishment and would keep competing guilds off our back so we could work on Vex Thall all summer. well VT had a lot of messed up mobs and pathing issues that needed to be retuned, i guess we were the beta testers for the zone. one time i got fluxed above the zone and got stuck in the geometry. was pretty funny, using those flux goos to bypass trash mobs until we got a strike on our guild for exploiting it. aside all that we were happy with how it was. then VT gets retuned and what a surprise, so does Emp Ssra. no longer a death touching badass. no longer limited Emp keys to hand out only to active members. now it was a free for all. luckily he was still too hard for our #2 guild because they never even finished their commander keys.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
we had a few theories, some of them likely wrong. like when we did the death touching emperor ssrazaaa(sp) we were happy as hell because we worked out a strategy to beat him and the encounter was so hard that way, we felt like it was a great accomplishment and would keep competing guilds off our back so we could work on Vex Thall all summer. well VT had a lot of messed up mobs and pathing issues that needed to be retuned, i guess we were the beta testers for the zone. one time i got fluxed above the zone and got stuck in the geometry. was pretty funny, using those flux goos to bypass trash mobs until we got a strike on our guild for exploiting it. aside all that we were happy with how it was. then VT gets retuned and what a surprise, so does Emp Ssra. no longer a death touching badass. no longer limited Emp keys to hand out only to active members. now it was a free for all. luckily he was still too hard for our #2 guild because they never even finished their commander keys.

VT was a joke. Roughly 30% of the zone was populated the day before launch because the designer responsible for the zone had quit, and QA somehow missed that an entire area of the zone was empty. There was no 'tuning' per se of VT.. it was a giant clusterfuck. There was one boss that was pure melee, and I remember tanking it, backing into a corner, and once I had solid agro, I just went AFK for 35 minutes to get some food. When I came back from lunch, he was almost dead. Literally nobody in the guild knew I'd left. I still to this day don't know how anyone thought that was fun? Just a giant HP sponge.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

FF14 seems to get this right, the "LFR" gear looks good and is decent item level but the weapons are limited to the higher difficulty.

There's also no trash in 8 man and very little in 24 man, it respects your time.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
VT was a joke. Roughly 30% of the zone was populated the day before launch because the designer responsible for the zone had quit, and QA somehow missed that an entire area of the zone was empty. There was no 'tuning' per se of VT.. it was a giant clusterfuck. There was one boss that was pure melee, and I remember tanking it, backing into a corner, and once I had solid agro, I just went AFK for 35 minutes to get some food. When I came back from lunch, he was almost dead. Literally nobody in the guild knew I'd left. I still to this day don't know how anyone thought that was fun? Just a giant HP sponge.
that sounds like you're describing va xi aten ha ra. or whatever her name is. she took forever to kill. not hard at all, just forever and ever. she emitted some AOEs that were just annoying. nobody wanted to kill her because it took so long, but the loot was what we were after, as i said we were tossed all kinds of crazy hurdles. with forever keying members and the very hard version of Emp Ssra, we thought VT was meant to be a reward because it wasnt a hard zone. well those upper floor Goos could get mean. our most difficult encounter in that zone was some weird aggro due to bard song through the walls that aggroed and then kept re-aggroing the same two full rooms. we ended up with 10 mezzed mobs in a room we had just cleared and we had to kill the mezzed mobs before the repops started happening. it was 3am on a saturday night and it was only about half the guild there so we had poor DPS and it took us 90 minutes of constant killing to get through there. it was a lot of fun and a hell of a good practice, but those damned thin walls. you could see Aten Ha Ra chilling out 3 floors up if you pushed your face against one. no idea why some zones had walls like that.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
that sounds like you're describing va xi aten ha ra. or whatever her name is. she took forever to kill. not hard at all, just forever and ever. she emitted some AOEs that were just annoying. nobody wanted to kill her because it took so long, but the loot was what we were after, as i said we were tossed all kinds of crazy hurdles. with forever keying members and the very hard version of Emp Ssra, we thought VT was meant to be a reward because it wasnt a hard zone. well those upper floor Goos could get mean. our most difficult encounter in that zone was some weird aggro due to bard song through the walls that aggroed and then kept re-aggroing the same two full rooms. we ended up with 10 mezzed mobs in a room we had just cleared and we had to kill the mezzed mobs before the repops started happening. it was 3am on a saturday night and it was only about half the guild there so we had poor DPS and it took us 90 minutes of constant killing to get through there. it was a lot of fun and a hell of a good practice, but those damned thin walls. you could see Aten Ha Ra chilling out 3 floors up if you pushed your face against one. no idea why some zones had walls like that.

That sounds about right. VT when it first opened was way harder than after retuned for sure. The mobs that would AoE blind, and then run were always a party favorite.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
The mobs that would AoE blind, and then run were always a party favorite.
I was always staring at the floor 99% of the time, blind was such a kick in the nuts while your down move, no matter where it was used lol

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I was always staring at the floor 99% of the time, blind was such a kick in the nuts while your down move, no matter where it was used lol
blind is a shitty thing, but if you have your positions set up already and you know your hotkeys by heart, you can work through it with little problem. i think there were some people who would get glitched and would stay blinded for a long time or have to log out and come back to clear it. good luck telling those people that if they cant see the messages. lol, one of the reasons we had EQwindows and MIRC set up.. "hey i'm still blind what do?"

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Does anyone have Furor's quitting-EQ farewell(s)? I remember one a little bit where he was basically saying he started playing EQ as a form of therapy or something.

Cybsled

Death touch was such a lazy mechanic, especially with XP loss and no way to mitigate it. All it did is force you to bring a shitload of tanks/people that could snap aggro to eat the DT and then you moved along.