Game development career thread:

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I started watching that MMO guide but I found he doesn't explain his choices very well. Maybe it changes over time though

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Flobee Flobee TJT TJT Noodleface Noodleface

I bet we could do better than project n
I'll be finished with my professional advancement by end of next month and will have much more free time to do this. I'll get Unreal engine then.

But I will definitely be trying my hand at creating some stuff. My goal will be at least equally as awful as EQ1 graphics.

Making my own dungeon sounds like a fun pet project.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
TJT TJT

I think we can world build as a game with the collaboration tools and have our teams fight.

I expect to be completely raped as the scrub. But should be interesting and get the result I was describing when we spoke

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
TJT TJT

I think we can world build as a game with the collaboration tools and have our teams fight.

I expect to be completely raped as the scrub. But should be interesting and get the result I was describing when we spoke
Sounds fun.

Flobee Flobee hit me up with the retard lore to base this around.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Sounds fun.

Flobee Flobee hit me up with the retard lore to base this around.
I need to write more of the stuff I've been daydreaming about down. I've basically just taken EQ races and (generally) classes as a base and tried to create something different, but recognizable from that. Have been building ideas around systems that I would like in my imaginary game so knowing more about what we'd build in a general sort of sense would be helpful because what I think would be cool may not match up with what the group would want to build.

Example:

I like slower combat (TTK for a solo kill >60 seconds) so building a reason into the world for beating on something for that long makes sense to me. Fighting stuff to get stronger should make some level of sense too IMO. Think Dragon Ball Z style but with less yelling a grunting, hopefully. I've been toying with the idea of some sort of EVENT that happens to the world that separates 'adventurers' from normal citizens. Lazy example being some all-mighty force comes in and waves its hand making rats, bats, orcs, and wolves incredibly dangerous somehow. A lot of people die in all civilizations, pushing them back to a handful of (starting) cities. At this point the gods come to the world and offer to 'help' if the people will worship them in return. This help takes the form of allowing adventurers to gain strength from combat or whatever. Bonus points if you set this sort of thing up in the background where the player doesn't really understand the specifics unless they dig into the world to figure out whats actually happened in the past.

Another silly example could be something like a 'soulstone' system where players carry x stones and lose one per death that must be recovered via corpse run. Losing all of ones stones provides more extreme death penalties (maybe you lose all 5 and next death causes severe xp loss, perm death, whatever). Could even have a system where mobs pick up stones from players they kill and gain strength (and better loot?). Something like the rival system in that LoTR game (shadow of mordor?). Gameplay mechanic like that changes how you write a world significantly.

Doesn't need to be anything like the above really, but thats the kind of stuff I think would be cool to build into world lore, but you need to have an idea of the kind of game you want to make first.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Don't need magic for rats etc to be deadly.

Those fuckers carry disease. No reason why you can't have something trivial like a rat bite someone for minimum damage, and they die of the plague after like 3 days.

As far as orcs, well, they are orcs. Lol

Don't see why MMOs even put trivial monsters into the exp grind.

It's just odd, but easy I guess and a remnant of d&d?

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Don't need magic for rats etc to be deadly.

Those fuckers carry disease. No reason why you can't have something trivial like a rat bite someone for minimum damage, and they die of the plague after like 3 days.

As far as orcs, well, they are orcs. Lol

Don't see why MMOs even put trivial monsters into the exp grind.

It's just odd, but easy I guess and a remnant of d&d?
Yea, I imagine its from D&D. I like it honestly. It feels good to progress from dying to rats, to slaying dragons. Where a game like EQ fucked up is putting in lvl 70 rats. Its a linear progression and you shouldn't go backward. You certainly don't HAVE to justify anything in a story, but I do think its worth considering if you can use it to come up with something cool.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For the sake of simplicity here I am just going to make some zones. Plan is to have a few up by end of December. Not finished, just kind of worked out I guess. A simple dungeon and some the zone outside of it.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So the 48th Ludum Dare 48 is coming up! Themes look good overall though the worst always seems to win:

two.png
one.png
three.png

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Deeper and Deeper won! That's a good one!

Having a hard time thinking of something I can actually finish though.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Didn't make it but had fun! Nothin like wasting hours debugging bad anims then realizing they don't even import back into blender properly.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It is on again, theme is Delay the Inevitable.

My D drive, with all my github crap on it died today. So here it is into the 4th hour and I'm still trying to salvage / move stuff off it and haven't even started :emoji_laughing:

There's a new "extra" or something to go with Compo and Jam. You have a full 2 weeks to finish something but you don't get scored with the compo. People will still play and leave feedback though. I might do that if I can come up with a decent idea.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm having fun with this one, just working on whatever I feel like. The pressure of the 48 hours has always kind of been the whole point, but I'm too old and sleepy to do it anymore.

My saturday was a grub_calloc not found hell as pulling that dead drive led to grub completely shitting itself. That took awhile to fix, and I'm not even sure I did anything or if it just fixed itself.

I was making a timelapse but It is so full of tiddies and butts that I just stopped. I've been making a character and trying to get the musculature right so I actually dug around in our very own pretty lady thread and found some good back and shoulder references.

Something I never had time to really think about is the position of the arms in a standard T pose. It is kind of unnatural. With a flat spread out hand, flat with the palm facing the floor as in a standard T pose, with me at least that makes the flat part of my forearm at a sort of wonky 45 degree angle.

Game models have that forearm vertical though. To do that on my real arm I have to grab it with my other hand and then twist my hand beyond the natural pose.

I've been using this arm reference alot and you can see the forearm is vertical with the flat bit facing straight forward. For me that only works if the flat part of the hand is facing forward.
vaser-lipo-arm-bat-wing-61987-45yo-caucasian-female-leftarmback-after-3-months-nj.png

I'm tempted to do it the natural way and see how it animates, but there must be a reason everyone does it like that. Maybe my arms are just deformed and have a half twist in them :emoji_laughing:

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm converting my directx dependent stuff to this: GitHub - amerkoleci/Vortice.Windows: .NET bindings for Direct3D12, Direct3D11, WIC, Direct2D1, XInput, XAudio, X3DAudio, DXC, Direct3D9 and DirectInput.

So far quite similar to SharpDX but missing bits here and there and easier to build and being actively worked on. I asked a dumb question and the owner responded right away.

No effect file support though so I've got to redo my whole shader library in the newer constant buffery way. Also has DX12 stuff in case I ever want to cut my target audience in half.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm having fun with this one, just working on whatever I feel like. The pressure of the 48 hours has always kind of been the whole point, but I'm too old and sleepy to do it anymore.

My saturday was a grub_calloc not found hell as pulling that dead drive led to grub completely shitting itself. That took awhile to fix, and I'm not even sure I did anything or if it just fixed itself.

I was making a timelapse but It is so full of tiddies and butts that I just stopped. I've been making a character and trying to get the musculature right so I actually dug around in our very own pretty lady thread and found some good back and shoulder references.

Something I never had time to really think about is the position of the arms in a standard T pose. It is kind of unnatural. With a flat spread out hand, flat with the palm facing the floor as in a standard T pose, with me at least that makes the flat part of my forearm at a sort of wonky 45 degree angle.

Game models have that forearm vertical though. To do that on my real arm I have to grab it with my other hand and then twist my hand beyond the natural pose.

I've been using this arm reference alot and you can see the forearm is vertical with the flat bit facing straight forward. For me that only works if the flat part of the hand is facing forward.
View attachment 406531

I'm tempted to do it the natural way and see how it animates, but there must be a reason everyone does it like that. Maybe my arms are just deformed and have a half twist in them :emoji_laughing:
BTW I found the answer to this:

The short of it is that women and shorter people tend to have the more vertical elbows more often than taller male folk. I think.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Ray -> capsule collision for bones. I think this will be much faster than my old way of axial boxes.

• 1Like