Game Pass for Xbox and PC

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Are you guys talking about this? It's about as straight forward as it gets.

asdfasfd.png

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, and every game install I do it lets me choose what drive I install it too. Just like Steam.

The only annoyance I have with it is that my windows sign on MS Account is different than my Xbox gamepass account and it constantly asks me which do I want to use.

Vorph

Are you guys talking about this? It's about as straight forward as it gets.

View attachment 342290
Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem people have with the Xbox App is. It's always worked fine for me. Just don't try to use the regular Windows Store app for Game Pass stuff and you should be fine.

The problems with PC Game Pass begin when you try to navigate to the program's install directory, only to find out that even an administrator account has no access whatsoever to any of it. Sure, if you really know what you're doing with Windows permissions you can eventually grant yourself access to the file system, but even then it doesn't do any good if your goal is to mod something.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem people have with the Xbox App is. It's always worked fine for me. Just don't try to use the regular Windows Store app for Game Pass stuff and you should be fine.

The problems with PC Game Pass begin when you try to navigate to the program's install directory, only to find out that even an administrator account has no access whatsoever to any of it. Sure, if you really know what you're doing with Window's permissions you can eventually grant yourself access to the file system, but even then it doesn't do any good if your goal is to mod something.
Harebrained actually patched the game pass version of Battletech so that the mod folder wasn't buried in that abyss.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Gamepass PC isn't going to be good for AAA games like Fallout 4, Skyrim, Stellaris, EU4, etc. Wait for a Steam sale on shit like that. But it is good for trying lots of different indie games without dropping $20 for each of them. Undermine, Monster Train, Children of Morta, Bloodstained:RotN, Ori, and Enter the Gungeon are all fun little games that I've had fun playing the last couple months without having to wait for a big Steam sale.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, Gamepass' interface on PC is about 80% of the reason I cancelled. It's fucking godawful trying to navigate between games, install folders, etc. The price increase was the final push over the ledge I needed.
I love achievements so I’ll play on Xbox forever but thanks to steamvr I’m slowly migrating back to Steam. PC gamepass is ok but man they need to fix their shitty ass app.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Microsoft has improved their xbox related apps over the last few years, but for them trying to make windows a one-stop-shop they still can't manage to do anything without 3 or 4 different apps. Some settings are in the console companion, despite saying it's been replaced by the xbox app. Xbox app is fine once a game is installed, but doesn't do much beyond that, and why wouldn't you just launch a game from an icon so you don't have to open an app to play a game on your PC.

Now the test/fix connection is in the settings, but used to be in the console companion, not the xbox app where your games are. This is important because if you want to play some multiplayer games published BY Microsoft, you'll have to 'fix' your connection and hope it holds long enough to fulfill requirements of their online daily quests.

To update the xbox app, that is replacing the console companion, or to update apps that used to be known as games and programs, it opens a window to the windows store. Not really a full windows app, just a window to the windows store with half-ass browsing where they do that thing where they show you the same 10 games over and over they really want you to install. So, maybe you install them just to stop seeing them, nope, still advertising products to customers who already own the products.

Have Game pass and want to do something with your subscription? Hey, you, stranger, wanna buy Game Pass!?!?! No, click manage, scrolls down, click manage, links to Microsoft website.

That update for the xbox app? It's been stalled for 10 minutes, in a new MS Store window... that shows it recently updated the "phone" on my gaming PC.

And of course the store app has the picture/icon I replaced 6 months ago, the xbox app has the new one, my windows login only ever shows the error blank-man one because none of them ever load.

Some shitbird sent me a salty message when I was playing on my Xbox, so now when I right click on the xbox app on my PC 10 hours later it prompts me to send a message back, though I already did on xbox. Oh, and would you like to pin this prompt to send a message to some butthurt asshole to your taskbar?!

They've made improvements, but in my opinion they still have a ways to go before they're as user friendly as steam (which for years I'd never need to go to the website to get anything done) or GeForce experience that I still sometimes use when I can't remember if I even have a game installed, much less where to launch it from.

Edit: will add, actual Xbox is surprisingly stable and easy. But anything PC and MS related seems to suck. Particularly annoyed because MS's last Windows 10 update broke Forza Horizon 4 multiplayer, which was the only reason I use my PC because it has a racing wheel installed. Or to play Wreckfest with wheel, but despite being the same game version and same username, it doesn't carry over progress and there isn't crossplay so there are only a handful of shit servers, and it doesn't let you play with the Steam server people on PC.

The End.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the Xbox Game Pass PC app is simple to use.
How long ago did they update it? I haven't touched Gamepass in probably at least 5 or so months, but I remember the XBox PC app being absolute loose butthole. And don't even get me fucking started on the 2 MB/s download speeds.

Vorph

Huh. That's going to piss off a lot of people if they don't patch the Steam version too. FAR has been around for 3+ years now and they never bothered to just copy its fixes.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
How long ago did they update it? I haven't touched Gamepass in probably at least 5 or so months, but I remember the XBox PC app being absolute loose butthole. And don't even get me fucking started on the 2 MB/s download speeds.

The xbox console companion was through late 2019 when the new Xbox app launched, so it's the loose butthole you've experienced. They've been improving it and PC Game Pass gaming in general, but it all still feels like an unneccesary middle-man. It reminds me of Windows 8 and how all the handy 'new' features just ended up being an additional layer of bullshit interface to fight through to get to the stuff that used to just be normal PC use.

Argarth

On the verandah
Everything that popsicledeath popsicledeath said, and... three different portals that list games for XBOX PC Game Pass can't even agree on the number of titles/packages.

Xbox App (takes ages to load the list, stalls, and requires up/down scrolling and opening/closing the side menu to get it to reload/finish) lists 251.
edit: As long as the App is left open, it fills the Event Log with hundreds of DCOM errors per hour.
Windows Store > Games Pass for PC > Games > Show all > lists only 238, and I can immediately see two Wolfenstein titles missing.
The Web Store page for PC Xbox Game Pass Library | Xbox lists 252.

Which one is right? Shit Tier experience all round.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
microsoft paid some random third party to roll in the mods and stuff into Nier "PC GamePass" Edition

• 1WTF

Vorph

It says Platinum contracted them to do it, and still doesn't make sense that there so far seem to be no plans to make a patch for the Steam version. Kind of shooting themselves in the foot with NieR Replicant coming out soon; based on how SE has handled Automata and other games on Steam you'd have to be retarded to even consider buying Replicant there. For some people that'll mean not buying Replicant at all.

spronk

FPS noob
you have to read between the lines and basically see Microsoft paid Square $x million to port the game to GamePass PC, why would microsoft give a shit about the steam version. the port contents are probably exclusive to gamepass PC too, at least timed

• 1Like