Gamefly sucks. News At 11.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I decided to try and sign up for Gamefly again to see if I could actually get any games this time around to try before buying them. I am trying to cut down on buying so many games that end up in a back log, and said to myself... "Well Ut, you want to get Nier, Nioh, Persona 5, The Last Guardian, etc and try about 5-6 others... let's give it a shot to see how well it works. So I signed up but already did a trial - so my bad on just not making a new email and getting another trial (If that would have worked) so I plunked down $22.95 for 2 games out at a time for a month and lets see how many I can burn through or at least try out.

I log in and see that damn near every game I want is low/medium availability. Nioh, a game that launched almost 3 months ago is still medium which means it has a 50%-74% chance to actually reach me. Nier, low. Persona, haha good luck, Yazuka 0, Medium... So I threw in Dishonored 2 which actually shipped today (I signed up Saturday and had 5 days of no games I wanted being shipped, and that was with the Last Guardian being high availability as well. Christ, I didn't even care to play Dishonored 2 but I guess I will give it a shot. Which is hilarious in of itself because there is a free trial this weekend for Dishonored 2 and the first 3 missions.

This service sucks ass. Not only do they have out of stock games just launched and do not anticipate demand (Something I can see happening though so it's forgiven) they also do not have stock of games that are 3 flipping months old. I went 5 days without anything even being shipped with half those games at Medium/High availability. But hey, Dwarves on PS4 is available right now!

So I did some other digging for fun. Holy hannah. A shit ton of games are medium/low, some very low, very few are high, and only complete shit titles are available for rent now. Come on. And the best part? Before you log in and own a subscription, they do not show you the availability! Ass meet Plunger.

Vorph Vorph I know you use this service. What is your trick to actually even make it worth while? I want to play Nier and Nioh before I land in the nursing home while trying this new scheme of mine. I have added the new Star Trek VR to Queue, but that isn't out yet. How do I get figured into that equation? First one to try and rent the game is automatically first in the shipping queue for games not out yet?

Are these guys tied into the game industry at all or into any other pockets? Because so far this place seems like a total fucking sham and all it will do is drive me to just go buy the game so I can actually play it. Which I can trade in games at Best Buy, use Gamers Club, get the games I want when I want to play them, and probably end up saving money in the long run when compared to a $22.95 a month service.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I tried Gamefly and the turnaround was unacceptable. 6 business days between games when I'm only 350 miles away from the distribution center connected by straight interstate. I just use Redbox for games I know I will beat in a day or two.

• 3Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
When I saw the Gamefly commercials I thought...

What kinda.... casual... fuckin... ugh.. cheap shit is... how can this possibly be good..?

• 3Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Definitely should have done a trial. They would have prioritized getting you whatever you wanted (within reason, there are certainly no copies of P5 in stock anywhere until the first batch starts being returned next week by people who didn't like it).

Anyway, the trick is I almost never try to get games that have been out for a while. I'll give you two examples for the games I have now:

1. RE7. I skipped this when it was new because I was debating getting VR along with my Pro. Eventually decided against that, so I returned a game and tossed RE7 on top of my queue. I was playing Horizon or Nier and didn't care about rental games anyway. I shipped the game back on 3/7, they "received" it (Fast Return) on 3/9, and shipped out RE7 on 3/10. I think the availability at the time was Medium. I really didn't expect a one day wait on a game like that, normally it would have been 2-4 days but I guess I got lucky.

2. ME:A. I shipped a game back on 3/15, they received it (Fast Return again, but there was a snowstorm Wed/Thurs of that week) on 3/20 and shipped out ME:A on the same day. This is what I was talking about in the ME:A thread where I said that I had my queue set up so the only game that could go out was that one. This is what I do with every new release I don't preorder from Amazon, and I haven't had GF fail to ship one out in years.

--------------

I'm almost exactly 350 miles from my distribution center too. Only reason I can see it taking 6 full business days is if your local and regional post offices never got on board with Fast Return. My turnaround is 2 days out and 2 days back unless I send back a previous game super early to take no chances on a new release.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I just Redbox everything and marathon it over a weekend to beat it. I have about 7 different Redbox's within 5 minutes of my house, so one of them always seems to have the game I am looking for. Costs like $6.00 and I don't have to hassle with anything.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I was going to do this, but Nier, Guardian, Nioh, none of those are at Redbox for me. (Or for what seems like ever in stock)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
So you want to pay 20 bucks a month and play every game the day it releases and expect them to have enough copies in stock to make it happen.... sounds like a good way for a business to not be a business any more.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So you want to pay 20 bucks a month and play every game the day it releases and expect them to have enough copies in stock to make it happen.... sounds like a good way for a business to not be a business any more.

No. What I do want is to pay $22.95/month and have access to at least a game that's 3 months old. How about I give them nothing? That's a good business model too. Because I can buy the damn game on sale for the price of a subscription by the time the thing becomes available on this horseshit ran service.

Looking at reviews, it looks like these idiots should just go out of business.

Hey Zombie I'll tell you what. Let's go out and buy 2 copies of each game starting now. We will charge $22.95 a month and rent out those two copies and we will just collect the cash as they wait for the copies to come back to us to send to the other 2 suckers while 89 wait.

We should own a private island in the bahamas within a week.

• 3Solidarity

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It's good for people with kids, for adults? Meh. It always sounded to me like one of those 8 CD's for a penny type of thing. Never really liked those as I always had to pay for music that I didn't want if I didn't return the card that they sent me.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
No. What I do want is to pay $22.95/month and have access to at least a game that's 3 months old. How about I give them nothing? That's a good business model too. Because I can buy the damn game on sale for the price of a subscription by the time the thing becomes available on this horseshit ran service.

Looking at reviews, it looks like these idiots should just go out of business.

Hey Zombie I'll tell you what. Let's go out and buy 2 copies of each game starting now. We will charge $22.95 a month and rent out those two copies and we will just collect the cash as they wait for the copies to come back to us to send to the other 2 suckers while 89 wait.

We should own a private island in the bahamas within a week.

Lets play hypothetical: They pay $40 per copy of a game they get. 22.95 lets you get 2 games per month so that's about 11.50 per game. That means they need to get 4 months of subs per copy of a game they get just to break even. You are mad about a game not available 3 months after it came out (instantly available even, instead of just "soon"), they aren't even at their break-even subs yet hypothetically for that copy of the game. Should they just drop the cash on 5million copies of the game and hope to make their money back off of subs who want it? You're not even talking about games that get mediocre reception or attention, you literally listed off every game that 99% of console gamers can't stop raving about but you want to get it for 11 bucks instead of 60.

Or you could show me where Nioh is on sale for 12 bucks at the 3 month mark, that'd work too, or P5 or any of the other games you listed.

PS: Don't try to pull the "but that's 11.50 every month!" because you just said you subbed back up for one month to burn through all the games you wanted to play, which i'm sure a lot of people do (I do the same with Netflix etc.) so really they're not even getting 11.50 per game they rent out when people want to snag 6 big titles in their one month sub.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ZW, I don't think your numbers are even in the ballpark of being accurate. I have never once heard anyone that subs to the service like it or promote it.

Compare similar business models and the evolution of Netflix & Gamefly...

If Netfilx was still trying to ship physical copies of their disks, they would be out of business (94 million subs for streaming, 4 million retards & grandma's still get their DVD's in the mail). Gamefly is 5 years behind the times and do not have partners that want to work with them to evolve with streaming technology. As Ut says, the value for the service you get is just not there. They will go the way of Blockbuster soon enough.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That would be an interesting service where basically they could ship you something like a Fire TV and it operates as a thin terminal and they just have a network of consoles that are effectively just streaming the game to you. I don't know if anything like that exists and I'm sure the legality would be a nightmare.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I use Gamefly off and on but I basically only put games that aren't released yet in my queue, with the occasional game or two I absolutely want to play. I generally get what I'm looking for, but yeah, if you have any game that you are remotely blah about on your list you are pretty much guaranteed to get it instead of what you really want. It's definitely not a service I would use all the time.

• 1Like

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I guess we can't know exactly how GameFly internal strategy is designed, but the company hasn't filed for Chapter 11 yet and I had been expecting to see the headline for years.

Is $40 as a retailer per game copy to studios a typical price point or is that a random hypothetical?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
When I worked at Best Buy margin on the actual games was next to nothing. That is why places like BBY and Gamestop try and push all sorts of accessories and shit with each purchase because after labor and everything just selling one copy of a game to someone is at best a break even venture. So I'm guessing GF probably pays close to the full $60.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
When I worked at gamestop 3 years ago they made about $9 per new game

And about three times that on used. That's why they are pushing Switch so hard, the combination of Nintendo game pricing plus cartridges means they'll make a killing if it pops off.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Lets play hypothetical: They pay $40 per copy of a game they get. 22.95 lets you get 2 games per month so that's about 11.50 per game. That means they need to get 4 months of subs per copy of a game they get just to break even. You are mad about a game not available 3 months after it came out (instantly available even, instead of just "soon"), they aren't even at their break-even subs yet hypothetically for that copy of the game. Should they just drop the cash on 5million copies of the game and hope to make their money back off of subs who want it? You're not even talking about games that get mediocre reception or attention, you literally listed off every game that 99% of console gamers can't stop raving about but you want to get it for 11 bucks instead of 60.

Or you could show me where Nioh is on sale for 12 bucks at the 3 month mark, that'd work too, or P5 or any of the other games you listed.

PS: Don't try to pull the "but that's 11.50 every month!" because you just said you subbed back up for one month to burn through all the games you wanted to play, which i'm sure a lot of people do (I do the same with Netflix etc.) so really they're not even getting 11.50 per game they rent out when people want to snag 6 big titles in their one month sub.

I get the business model. I understand they have to make a profit. You aren't taking into account how many just keep the game, send it back, or how many do they purchase when compared to their subscriber base. I listed games within the last three months. I can point out shit that's over a year old on various platforms that they aren't providing as anywhere close to available.

I just won't use the service any longer. And then will come to the internet to warn others because I basically just spent 22.99 to play a game I couldn't give fuck all about which I could buy used for 15 bucks. If nothing else comes within a complete one month period between last guardian and dishonored 2, that's a company who shorted the shit out of their supply and my guess is they don't give a shit as long as they make money. Which is fine. But that doesn't mean it isn't a rip off.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
We have Game access not gamefly in Canada.

It took me 10 days to get a game from back east, it was $22.95 a month, that is $275
So i canceled it, actually they would not let me cancel, no return emails, no return phone calls...nothing. i had to ride out 3 months until my CC expired, i was SUPER PISSED.

So i was spending $275 a year on rentals, they i started to read threads and deals posted by @spronk and it changed my buying habits.

Part of the fun for me is gaming the games. How many games can i buy for as cheap as possible.

I have about $200 in BB GC and $150 in EBgames credit, for anything i need right now.
i buy games from amazon with the prime discount, i finish them in 2 weeks and i trade them in to EB or BB while they are still high value. If i love the game, i keep it.

OR (and you need to do both)

I resign my self to wait 1 year on mid teir games that i dont need to play right now, for example, just picked up MSG5 for $25....

I own a business, i make good money and have no kids, i could buy more games than i have time for if i wished, but my enjoyment of the "deal" has increased my overall enjoyment of gaming.

For example, if you read the HZD thread, i bought the game for $71 and ended up trading it to EB games for $80 on a promotion deal....

Know the deals, get on the email lists, get your points cards and reward memberships.
My gas credit card earns me about 2 free games a year via rewards points being turned in to BB GC.

TLDR, Game the gamesellers, its damn fun,.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I keep using different emails and sub for $1 a month with 2 games than cancel. Report one missing and you got 3 games.

I got Sniper Elite 4: Shoot Hitler in the balls and New bulletstorm.