Gamefly sucks. News At 11.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Ut you know this is all bullshit. You just wanted to prepare so you could get Destiny 2 and play it while claiming not to buy it, you son of a bitch!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
ZW, I don't think your numbers are even in the ballpark of being accurate. I have never once heard anyone that subs to the service like it or promote it.

Compare similar business models and the evolution of Netflix & Gamefly...

If Netfilx was still trying to ship physical copies of their disks, they would be out of business (94 million subs for streaming, 4 million retards & grandma's still get their DVD's in the mail). Gamefly is 5 years behind the times and do not have partners that want to work with them to evolve with streaming technology. As Ut says, the value for the service you get is just not there. They will go the way of Blockbuster soon enough.

Obviously I don't know what they pay for anything and i'm not trying to defend them as a good company or something, that was just a made-up statistic for the hypothetical. I just think it's absurd that someone should expect to be able to sign up for 1 month for 22.95 and instantly get every major title that has been released so far this year for long enough to beat the games and return them. If the company had so many copies of games on stock that they could deliver instantly to everyone who wanted them at that price point then there would be virtually zero point in companies trying to sell copies at retail stores since the only people who would buy them would be collectors.

Netflix still tries to convince everyone to use their dvd service too instead of just streaming (90% of their movies are dvd only at any given time).

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Do they really buy individual copies of the games and then rent them out? It seems like it would make a lot more sense if the game companies just gave them an unlimited license to the game and then collected a royalty per rental just like Netflix. Then Gamefly could just burn 1000 disks for a hot game, and shred them when it became less popular. It's not like it costs anything to print a bluray disk. Perhaps the game companies don't like rentals so this is the only way they can do it without them being on board but that seems like a way better model. Having the demand you can serve limited by a finite number of physical copies is retarded.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Do they really buy individual copies of the games and then rent them out? It seems like it would make a lot more sense if the game companies just gave them an unlimited license to the game and then collected a royalty per rental just like Netflix. Then Gamefly could just burn 1000 disks for a hot game, and shred them when it became less popular. It's not like it costs anything to print a bluray disk. Perhaps the game companies don't like rentals so this is the only way they can do it without them being on board but that seems like a way better model. Having the demand you can serve limited by a finite number of physical copies is retarded.

I don't know the exact details of how they aquire the games, but they are definitely retail copies. They don't just have the discs, they have the cases, inserts, and everything else that comes when you buy a game. If you decide to keep a rental they will actually ship the rest of that stuff to you.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can't just burn PS4 games and play them. And I'm sure Sony isn't sharing that tech with anyone