Gamer glasses

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Anyone use these when gaming or them for work who is constantly behind a computer monitor? I've seen some streamers use them especially the ones with the yellow tint and I was wondering if they distort the color of the game due to the yellowish tint? I know there are the clear ones that helps reduce blue light but apparently the amber ones offers better protection. Things has changed up at my job and I'm behind several computer monitors or looking at my phone for at least 12 hours a day and the days when I game too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Anyone use these when gaming or them for work who is constantly behind a computer monitor? I've seen some streamers use them especially the ones with the yellow tint and I was wondering if they distort the color of the game due to the yellowish tint? I know there are the clear ones that helps reduce blue light but apparently the amber ones offers better protection. Things has changed up at my job and I'm behind several computer monitors or looking at my phone for at least 12 hours a day and the days when I game too.
You only get one pair of eyes, might as well use 'em is what I always say.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

I used my Gunnar's alot and it did help tremendously with eye fatigue, however, I think they are severely overpriced. I got lucky and got a pair 80% off.

I pretty much stopped using them once I got glasses with some eye strain coating on them, they work just as well.

Kiki

Log Wizard
f.lux or night light in Windows10 can help you achieve the same effect for free. The real problem will be lighting if in an office.

Edit: I know my pixel also has night light

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I use Gunnar's when I am not in my own space with my own lighting and they ended up worth it for me. I am a contact wearer and have naturally dry eyes too boot. I don't know if I would have spent 50-130 bucks on one pair initially but now I would. I got an amazing deal though originally 2 pair for 38 dollars. The two pairs I got were ESL Blade and a set of Vertex. I could be wrong but the lenses are the same for all the glasses unless specified(no difference in the two pair I have) but I use the Vertex's most of the time. Vertex's on their website are like 50 bucks whereas the ESL Blade is like 80. It really comes down to the look, which I could care less about. I believe there is a sale on their website atm. I am sure someone is much more knowledgeable about them than me. I am also sure there are plenty of people that think they are pointless.

I think if you are interested you should read up on what the difference lens colorations are for and then decide on amber, clear, darker etc. I use the amber ones. The darker the color the better the protection essentially. They have a lot of info on their website on the different lenses etc. Which GUNNAR Lenses Are Right for Me? - GUNNAR

Your question about it changing the coloration etc, honestly it may have originally but I use them anytime I am not on my home pc so I don't notice or remember. Sorry, I know that doesn't help.

I will say this though, once I really gave a shit about my lighting at home I became much more sensitive to it elsewhere. Once I started wearing the Gunnar's outside my home when using a PC I basically won't without them. YMMV

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gunnars were not worthwhile for me 10 years ago, i'm gonna try them again now that i'm older and maybe bluelight is affecting me more.

instead of just getting basic glasses w/ bluelight blocking it seems gunnars has other tech in it, an optomologist examined them (with actual tools) so his review is the only review that matters imo

tldr gunnars also have a +.25 magnification to reduce eye strain and a prism effect, i'll get my pair today and give it a few weeks.

also my prescription changed, somehow my left eye got better and is near 20/20, while my right eye is pretty dank

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so i was talking to my eye doc on how gunnars don't help me and he said it's probably b/c i have something rare called anisometropia, where one eye is farsighted and the other eye is near sighted, i don't even find glasses comfortable to wear b/c of it, he said b/c of the way both eyes work to create and image.

and i asked, what if i just use one eye? he said yea that would work b/c one eye is straining to help out the other.

so now i got glasses eye patch on 1 gunnar lens, and i look like archangel now
archangel-airwolf-alex-cord.jpg

works fine actually

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
actually got these that slip over the glasses
43f6adfddfafebe6e9700e186162b1d9.png

and makes it look like i have had half cataract surgery, blocks out the vision and light.

the bad thing for me is that my usual computer position is to lean all the way back in the chair, i found this the most ergonomic, with this i use the good eye to see far.

but if i sit upright and start typing, which usually happens when something heated happens to me, then i gotta take off the glasses cuz now my nearsighted eye (which has moved closer to the monitor) is worthless.

i'm thinking about getting another pair of gunnar and block the other eye and swap, haha.

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
actually got these that slip over the glasses
43f6adfddfafebe6e9700e186162b1d9.png

and makes it look like i have had half cataract surgery, blocks out the vision and light.

the bad thing for me is that my usual computer position is to lean all the way back in the chair, i found this the most ergonomic, with this i use the good eye to see far.

but if i sit upright and start typing, which usually happens when something heated happens to me, then i gotta take off the glasses cuz now my nearsighted eye (which has moved closer to the monitor) is worthless.

i'm thinking about getting another pair of gunnar and block the other eye and swap, haha.
Is this a temporary patch to try to strengthen a weak eye, to normalize them? Swapping back and forth wouldn't help that at all, if so. He'd likely want you to patch the strong eye and leave it patched? Any follow-up with him scheduled or is he just like whatever?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is this a temporary patch to try to strengthen a weak eye, to normalize them? Swapping back and forth wouldn't help that at all, if so. He'd likely want you to patch the strong eye and leave it patched? Any follow-up with him scheduled or is he just like whatever?
1 eye is near sighted and the other eye is far sighted,

i see almost 20/20 w/o glasses, but
like if i close my right eye, i see almost 20/20, if i then swapped and closed left, my vison out of my eye is like i have a gaussion blur filter on.

but then if i then move to reading book distance, everything is clear again, but if then swapped eyes and closed my right eye, i can't read shit, everything looks arabic

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
1 eye is near sighted and the other eye is far sighted,

i see almost 20/20 w/o glasses, but
like if i close my right eye, i see almost 20/20, if i then swapped and closed left, my vison out of my eye is like i have a gaussion blur filter on.

but then if i then move to reading book distance, everything is clear again, but if then swapped eyes and closed my right eye, i can't read shit, everything looks arabic
Honestly dude, I'd go see an ophthalmologist. I don't think you gotta live like this. Sounds awful.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Honestly dude, I'd go see an ophthalmologist. I don't think you gotta live like this. Sounds awful.
what would happen tho? suggest surgery or contacts?, the eye doc said the same thing, he said contacts might help b/c then the lens is direct on the eye, and i said i'm over 40, no way am i gonna now learn to poke my eye every day, and i said no way am i gonna let no lasers or scalpels touch my eyes unless i'm at risk of losing em.

• 1Worf

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
what would happen tho? suggest surgery or contacts?, the eye doc said the same thing, he said contacts might help b/c then the lens is direct on the eye, and i said i'm over 40, no way am i gonna now learn to poke my eye every day, and i said no way am i gonna let no lasers or scalpels touch my eyes unless i'm at risk of losing em.
A bit of laser surgery is all, yeah. Pussy.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I've run into a couple people over the years that wear just one contact lens.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
You can do the eye touching thing easy peasy, bro. You can do it right now, actually. Wash your hands. Aim your eye at the ceiling. Pull your lower eyelid down. Gently touch your eye. Boom, now you too can apply and remove contact lenses.

I used to feel the same way about it, then I had an eye issue from my bell's palsy a few years back where I needed to apply some goop directly onto my eye to prevent dehydration at night for a few weeks.