Gaming and general purpose monitors

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
That's my thoughts, granted ultra widescreen support is getting to be standard(ish) with new games. I dig my alianware but can't say it's been perfect by any means due to being a widescreen. Sucks when you have to wait for a patch to use your monitor truely, even then cutscenes leave black bars even when the game supports gameplay at widescreen.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I've found my perfect setup to be 2x 27 inch 4k monitors scaled to 2560. Bought an eizo flexscan EV2785 last year. Amazing. May switch out the asus that acts as my second monitor. Not sure how it works out for gaming but for color reproduction and eye fatigue it really hits the spot.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Er, DPI rather.

I dunno how DPI scaling works on Macs but I assume it's gotta be there somewhere.

Oh, nevermind, "scaled" is their version of DPI settings. It scales the text and other elements to match what it would look like on a different resolution monitor.

What a backwards ass way of presenting that. #justmacthings

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Ugh why did I let people convince me to cancel my preorder on this.
Because you don't want to piss away half of your GPU/CPU performance on sections of the screen you won't be looking at?
Because you value the health of your neck?
Because the size of the display will be a detriment to many types of games that rely on having the entire FOV being seen without much eye-motion.
Because you know that HDR1000 with only a couple dimming zones is a joke?
Because many games won't support the aspect ratio, and far fewer will actually benefit from it?
Because VA panels at 240hz will look like dogshit in motion?
Because the response time is a lie?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Er, DPI rather.

I dunno how DPI scaling works on Macs but I assume it's gotta be there somewhere.

Oh, nevermind, "scaled" is their version of DPI settings. It scales the text and other elements to match what it would look like on a different resolution monitor.

What a backwards ass way of presenting that. #justmacthings
Ahhh yes. I remember when I still used windows.... 🙃😉

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Because you don't want to piss away half of your GPU/CPU performance on sections of the screen you won't be looking at?
Because you value the health of your neck?
Because the size of the display will be a detriment to many types of games that rely on having the entire FOV being seen without much eye-motion.
Because you know that HDR1000 with only a couple dimming zones is a joke?
Because many games won't support the aspect ratio, and far fewer will actually benefit from it?
Because VA panels at 240hz will look like dogshit in motion?
Because the response time is a lie?
Because you don't want to piss away half of your GPU/CPU performance on sections of the screen you won't be looking at? - Valid, but there's other options. This monitor has picture-by-picture.
Because you value the health of your neck? - This would be replacing 2x 27inch monitors, so no change.
Because the size of the display will be a detriment to many types of games that rely on having the entire FOV being seen without much eye-motion. - Same as above, just put it in picture-by-picture mode, or make the games windowed and use FancyZones.
Because you know that HDR1000 with only a couple dimming zones is a joke? - I don't care about local dimming on monitors and don't understand the people who do.
Because many games won't support the aspect ratio, and far fewer will actually benefit from it? - This is just repeating yourself at this point.
Because VA panels at 240hz will look like dogshit in motion? - This does not appear to be the case from everyone who's gotten a review sample. Alternatively, even at 120 hz this thing seems fantastic.
Because the response time is a lie? - This does not appear to be the case from everyone who's gotten a review sample.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
LG 27GL850 vs ViewSonic ELITE XG270QG 27"

Any input? Size is good, Mega huge I dont think would fit well on my desk with a 2nd monitor. I mainly play FPS and such. At this point damn near anything I'm sure would be a big upgrade over my Hanns G Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com
The 27GL83A is the same as the 27GL850 but without the USB ports and 120 dollars cheaper.

The ViewSonic ELITE XG270QG is technically better and has a real G-SYNC module but holy shit the calibration is terrible out of the box and it's expensive and you'll probably have to buy a calibrator.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The 27GL83A is the same as the 27GL850 but without the USB ports and 120 dollars cheaper.

The ViewSonic ELITE XG270QG is technically better and has a real G-SYNC module but holy shit the calibration is terrible out of the box and it's expensive and you'll probably have to buy a calibrator.
It's an older generation IPS. 99% SRGB color space vs 98% DCI-P3 or ~25% larger color space.

1594494988575.png

^
Is what I was pointed to when I linked your linking of the monitor. Also think the viewsonic is actual gsynch vs simulated "compatible" So just figured all around seems like just a year newers worth of tech and hopefully lasting as long as my old monitors.

I wish I could have both of them in front of me to see what that translates into for games like Tarkov or an actual cutting edge visual game. I get some things are better for movies/art stuff vs better darks and contrast in different ways that are better for gamers.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Because you don't want to piss away half of your GPU/CPU performance on sections of the screen you won't be looking at? - Valid, but there's other options. This monitor has picture-by-picture.
Because you value the health of your neck? - This would be replacing 2x 27inch monitors, so no change.
Because the size of the display will be a detriment to many types of games that rely on having the entire FOV being seen without much eye-motion. - Same as above, just put it in picture-by-picture mode, or make the games windowed and use FancyZones.
Because you know that HDR1000 with only a couple dimming zones is a joke? - I don't care about local dimming on monitors and don't understand the people who do.
Because many games won't support the aspect ratio, and far fewer will actually benefit from it? - This is just repeating yourself at this point.
Because VA panels at 240hz will look like dogshit in motion? - This does not appear to be the case from everyone who's gotten a review sample. Alternatively, even at 120 hz this thing seems fantastic.
Because the response time is a lie? - This does not appear to be the case from everyone who's gotten a review sample.
Sounds like you're trying to justify spending $1700 to wind up with something you'll treat as a dual monitors, which you seem to already have.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like you're trying to justify spending $1700 to wind up with something you'll treat as a dual monitors, which you seem to already have.
Well yeah but that's what I want. Two monitors that I can turn into one GIGANTIC monitor for racing games or space games.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well yeah but that's what I want. Two monitors that I can turn into one GIGANTIC monitor for racing games or space games.
If it's just for racing & space games, I'd recommend looking into VR if you haven't already. It's godly for those.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I’m with Mist Mist on this one. Monitor looks awesome. Claims to have a ton of money and no idea what it is for. This is exactly what it’s for. Buying what the fuck you want, when you want, without a need to justify it.

Buy that shit!

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Been thinking about getting an Odyssey G7 32", but the reviews are very weird. The contrast ratio is all over the place. One korean review said it was extremely poor for a VA with 1520:1. Techspot and Rtings had wildly different numbers too.

1973:1

3912:1

Strange...

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
34-38 is my sweet spot for monitors - 32 could be my second (which it actually is atm) - Id have got the G9 if they hadnt had such defects.