Gaming funk

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I am in one now. It typically happens for a few weeks after I finish a game or show that really sucks me in. I usually try a bunch of games but nothing really grabs me and I quit after an hour. This one feels especially rough because it has been such a steady stream of great games and now nothing looks that appealing. I went from Monster Hunter world, vermintide 2, ni no kuni 2, and then capped it off with God of War. Good luck finding something to follow that one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
My problem is that as you get older life just throws so much your way that gaming becomes overwhelming at times. I want to sit down in get lost in a tittle but I can't enjoy it because the stresses of RL or the kids are around (I don't play rated rated M and some T titles around my little kids). Then a bunch of new games come out, that you want to play, but you feel pulled to another game because if you don't log in and grind out your dailies etc. you will behind the curve. I start thinking of all this stuff before loading up a game and I end up totally destroying my desire to play anything. Also, I suffer from some serious gaming ADD and lately I just can't finish a title when I know something new comes out and I want to play it. I sometimes have to force myself to go back and finish the game even though I really enjoyed playing it. It starts to feel like work

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've been in that funk for a couple years. Battlefield 4 is the only think i play regularly.

Watching quiet people (not the annoying as fuck ADHD "stars") on twitch, with older games like Skyrim or Baldurs gate has been scratching the itch for me.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Back into one. Realized today that I probably won't be playing the next WoW expansion, because what for? I have no desire to play WoW. Diablo 3 seasons has been depressing with every new season they don't change shit.

My friends and I are all in a funk where we suggest new games, and are like naw, that game blows. Nothing is good.

Suggested GTA V or Destiny 2, and got shot down. Doh!

Maybe the WoW expansion is what I need to play, because playing with all the people in FoH guild again, and having some progression to work on and talk about with other people would help me out a lot actually.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
MMO's have been complicit in every gaming funk I've ever had. They're addictive and not terribly fun, yet when I quit all I wanna play is MMO's. Shit's dumb so I dropped them entirely and have enjoyed gaming ever since.

Just me, ymmv

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Back into one. Realized today that I probably won't be playing the next WoW expansion, because what for? I have no desire to play WoW. Diablo 3 seasons has been depressing with every new season they don't change shit.

My friends and I are all in a funk where we suggest new games, and are like naw, that game blows. Nothing is good.

Suggested GTA V or Destiny 2, and got shot down. Doh!

Maybe the WoW expansion is what I need to play, because playing with all the people in FoH guild again, and having some progression to work on and talk about with other people would help me out a lot actually.

It's all about two things for me. Single player challenge/adventure, or in and out group fun.

I finally got around to playing Breath of the Wild and that was fantastic.

I'm going to play the next WoW expansion because I haven't played it in 2 years and if nothing else I do enjoy dungeoning, the slow trickle of progression and achievements. Will probably enjoy it for like 6 months or so again then whatever it.

Been on a Dark Souls bonanza lately. That is some gooood shit. If you have a PS4... Monster Hunter. Seriously.

• 2Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It really has become less and less about the e-sport challenges, and become more and more about the story for me. I don't have sixteen hours in day, seven days a week to sit here and practice. Compare this with the 22 yo version of myself? Difference is night and day.

Ya know? Give me something to give a shit about, and I'll start giving a shit. It's amazing how that works.

• 2Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I started replaying some games recently with my own funk. I play pubg with a buddy but actually started going through Doom 2016 again with the xpac/sequel coming soon. Also got him borderlands 2 GOTY cause he never played it before.

So many good games had come out in the past and i think the funk is just caused by so many shit-tier games coming out too. The original, well done titles really stand out. I forgot how good the Voice acting was in BL2 and just great writing.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
When I feel like I'm bored of games it's usually because I'm playing something with no real "end" state and I just keep playing until I get bored (MMORPGs, Skyrim, etc.) What usually sucks me back in is something with a really strong focus on narrative. Try Transistor or Pyre if you haven't yet. They aren't very long (by game standards) but they are gripping.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I've been going back through The Technomacer, and loving it. Of course, I loved it when it first released... So, I guess I'm an outlier like that.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
You know it is getting bad when most of your clan is playing Golf It... :oops:

Summer slump is hitting us atm.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
95% of the reason I play most games is the friends / clique i've played with most of my adult life. Games without the people I play with in general would be pretty boring. That being said there has been games like those mentioned here that completely reignited my will to want to play consoles after 10 years. Maybe switching gears from PC only to console or vice versa might help some?

God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Monster Hunter World were amazing GD games that all pulled me right into them. Plus they are PS4 so I was able to play with more of my RL friends compared to my online Discord buddies which was a nice change also.

• 1Solidarity

Crone

You know it is getting bad when most of your clan is playing Golf It... :oops:

Summer slump is hitting us atm.
I keep telling myself that I'm going to get back into Destiny 2. Hope I'm still welcome back into the clan whenever that finally happens!

I've convinced some friends to try pushing some leaderboards in Diablo, and so gearing up those class/specs, and stuff has been pretty fun.

Crone

95% of the reason I play most games is the friends / clique i've played with most of my adult life. Games without the people I play with in general would be pretty boring. That being said there has been games like those mentioned here that completely reignited my will to want to play consoles after 10 years. Maybe switching gears from PC only to console or vice versa might help some?

God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Monster Hunter World were amazing GD games that all pulled me right into them. Plus they are PS4 so I was able to play with more of my RL friends compared to my online Discord buddies which was a nice change also.
I think I wanna return the PS Move controllers I just got for $100, and get those 3 games instead!

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I keep telling myself that I'm going to get back into Destiny 2. Hope I'm still welcome back into the clan whenever that finally happens!

I've convinced some friends to try pushing some leaderboards in Diablo, and so gearing up those class/specs, and stuff has been pretty fun.

Should not be a problem, people are still playing but summer vacations and stuff has things a bit mellow. August and September should be a great time.

I am working on a Seasonal Crusader in D3, maybe we can link up sometime.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm in this funk. I was pretty engaged in wow up until the mythic runs collapsed. Hadn't really enjoyed playing anything else, though that's not actually true, I do enjoy when I do play, just the enthusiasm to commit to a session is a challenge. It's stupid that I'd rather sit on my ass and surf through Netflix without actually watching anything for 2 hours, settle on something, only to turn it off 20m later.

I have a Switch, got Zelda, couldn't get into it, I was like George Costanza, I nit picked it and couldn't enjoy it. Mario I blasted through, then found myself mindlessly collecting moons for no fucking reason other than to get costumes I didn't need save for one moon on the level and dropped that. Played the Batman Telltale series all the way through twice, because that story was fucking awesome.

Got a PS4 with God of War that I played 2 hours of, Gran Turismo Sport that I put a few hours into, FIFA 18 that I play a lot off and on, on the random occurrence I have a bro over to have beers and kick England's ass.

PC, I'll mindlessly login to WOW, do the three boxes, circle dalaran, realize I'm a fucking retard and logout. Played Stellaris once with a buddy, and holy shit that game has changed drastically from when I played the beta. Fell asleep after a couple hours, woke up to my buddy yelling at me on coms cuz I was snoring. I'd love to sit and play that game for 12 hours, giving up at 9am, but shit...

Having a job that's actually enjoyable, engaging, challenging, requires doing shit, I don't have much energy when I finish the day and just want to unwind, not wrap up in another synthetic reality. Also, my brain is just literally fucking exhausted after most day. And the 3mo old daughter, but that's not really been a factor since I'm getting 7-8hrs sleep, tho I do like to spend a couple hours with her most evenings, and a lot on weekends. Kinna wondering where the fuck I fit my wife into things, and it's bugging me more than usual lately.

Fuck, I hate being a grown up sometimes.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

I'm in this funk. I was pretty engaged in wow up until the mythic runs collapsed. Hadn't really enjoyed playing anything else, though that's not actually true, I do enjoy when I do play, just the enthusiasm to commit to a session is a challenge. It's stupid that I'd rather sit on my ass and surf through Netflix without actually watching anything for 2 hours, settle on something, only to turn it off 20m later.

I have a Switch, got Zelda, couldn't get into it, I was like George Costanza, I nit picked it and couldn't enjoy it. Mario I blasted through, then found myself mindlessly collecting moons for no fucking reason other than to get costumes I didn't need save for one moon on the level and dropped that. Played the Batman Telltale series all the way through twice, because that story was fucking awesome.

Got a PS4 with God of War that I played 2 hours of, Gran Turismo Sport that I put a few hours into, FIFA 18 that I play a lot off and on, on the random occurrence I have a bro over to have beers and kick England's ass.

PC, I'll mindlessly login to WOW, do the three boxes, circle dalaran, realize I'm a fucking retard and logout. Played Stellaris once with a buddy, and holy shit that game has changed drastically from when I played the beta. Fell asleep after a couple hours, woke up to my buddy yelling at me on coms cuz I was snoring. I'd love to sit and play that game for 12 hours, giving up at 9am, but shit...

Having a job that's actually enjoyable, engaging, challenging, requires doing shit, I don't have much energy when I finish the day and just want to unwind, not wrap up in another synthetic reality. Also, my brain is just literally fucking exhausted after most day. And the 3mo old daughter, but that's not really been a factor since I'm getting 7-8hrs sleep, tho I do like to spend a couple hours with her most evenings, and a lot on weekends. Kinna wondering where the fuck I fit my wife into things, and it's bugging me more than usual lately.

Fuck, I hate being a grown up sometimes.
Sounds about like me. As for the wife time, you'll find a balance pretty soon that works out. You're only 3 months in, so give it some more time.

I'm lucky and unlucky that I travel a lot for work. So I have me time every single night I go back to the hotel and can do anything I want. Usually means I hop on the laptop, figure out delivery to the hotel room for dinner, and start gaming on something. People is what drives me to game. I'm not really into just gaming on single player, unless it's console and I can have the wife and my kids sitting around me having a good time watching. I'll tell the kids to watch out for bad guys, and they start screaming and yelling in excitement when they see something. Or Uncharted, and the wife sits with me and helps me figure out where to go or how to solve puzzles. That shit's amazing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
What you could do, to try and get yourself out of this gaming funk is to try and cut yourself off from any message boards (or anywhere that talks about games). Take a break for a while, and then come back.

I've done this before and it really helped.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wanted to play something old school so badly the other day but had no idea what or how so I just got online and spent an hour reading through and remembering the old EQ Plane of Sky raid. Man that loot was such SHIT.

Plane of Sky - Project 1999 Wiki