Gaming funk

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm really hoping getting into some sweet coop games like Monster Hunter, and new WoW expansion will carry through for a long while.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm really hoping getting into some sweet coop games like Monster Hunter, and new WoW expansion will carry through for a long while.

If you go the collection angle. WoW is a good time. But not for long hours. Collecting things for like 30 minutes then bouncing while chatting on discord is fun. Monster Hunter is fun the same way UNLESS you are playing in groups then its super binge game drunk time shenanigans.

And one of those games where if you fail. You just rafff.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I was actually doing pretty well with PUBG for a while with the Event Pass, but when I hit 30 I kind of just stopped playing. I finished Ascension 15 on all 3 characters in Slay the Spire, and I've basically spent the last week staring at my computer not being able to find anything to play :(

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was actually doing pretty well with PUBG for a while with the Event Pass, but when I hit 30 I kind of just stopped playing. I finished Ascension 15 on all 3 characters in Slay the Spire, and I've basically spent the last week staring at my computer not being able to find anything to play :(

New event pass today for PUBG I believe.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Get on MHW. Playing with people is the key.

I'm 34 and had the same issue, bounced back and forth. Low and behold this forum provided a few chuckleheads and I'm back in full swing.

The reason I can say I still game is I get this little feeling in my stomach, maybe nostalgia maybe just the idea of something new. However now in my life for any interest to take hold I usually have to discuss it with someone. I've done that now and incorporated it into my gaming and it makes everything 1000x more fun.

Just trying to think of stuff to help you get over the edge and back into gaming friend. I have the same work/hotel routine you have.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Get on MHW. Playing with people is the key.

I'm 34 and had the same issue, bounced back and forth. Low and behold this forum provided a few chuckleheads and I'm back in full swing.

The reason I can say I still game is I get this little feeling in my stomach, maybe nostalgia maybe just the idea of something new. However now in my life for any interest to take hold I usually have to discuss it with someone. I've done that now and incorporated it into my gaming and it makes everything 1000x more fun.

Just trying to think of stuff to help you get over the edge and back into gaming friend. I have the same work/hotel routine you have.

No joke man. Just a few days of playing has made me realize how retarded all my older loadouts were and none of them really made sense. I have since refined my shit a lot but it helps just talking about the various aspects in MHW.

Bandwagon Bandwagon MHW has this really nice depth of gameplay that allows for retarded shit but you can also just casual your way through it doing whatever the fuck you want. You get a lot of those, "A HA!!" moments when you figure something out. Like how to wreck some bitch monster that wiped you a dozen times or how certain builds and stuff work together. It just makes it really satisfying on top of dumbass drunk Utnayan moments and what have you.

I recommend it!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I can't stand Japanese style games, no matter how hard I try to enjoy them. I watched some streams of monster hunter and know I couldn't get into that one.

Conan Exiles is the only thing recently that's kept my attention for more than 3 minutes.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm in the same funk. Finding people to play with works, also finding a really good game for you helps. Not just a random better than average game.
For me the latest XCom had me going solo for a good while. Prior to that it was Destiny 2 only because of playing with friends.

Maybe I'll give MHW another try.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know if I'm in a gaming funk. I think it's I want more of what I know I like(which isn't much more than PoE atm) and I dislike the time required to get into a new game. And that's a bit ironic because damn did it take a while to get into PoE.

Doesn't help that I don't really feel like I can really relax until my 4 yo son has truly gone to sleep.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm in the same funk. Finding people to play with works, also finding a really good game for you helps. Not just a random better than average game.
For me the latest XCom had me going solo for a good while. Prior to that it was Destiny 2 only because of playing with friends.

Maybe I'll give MHW another try.

Come join the party. If on PS4 Jin and some others are on most every night doing whatever. It's a good time.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
I'm no longer getting out of games the time/effort I'm putting into them. It's making me less interested in trying to extract value from this hobby. I really can't tell if that's a function of getting older or if it's a function of games being less engaging, or being Box Checking Sim 2018 or what.

I'm not a millenial by like 3 months on the calendar, so I figure for marketing purposes I'm basically a millenial. I don't give two shits about nostalgia marketing. I like fun games that are challenging but I don't like paying a second times for experiences I've already had a few times when I was a teenager. I guess I feel weird about paying $5-10-20 for a repeat of an experience I've had when I was in middle school, as a business model.

Not everything has to be brand new, but I'm hesitant to engage with games that are basically just selling 'remember how great X was? We made X.' It's a pretty good business and it can make good games. I worry I'm just growing out of gaming as a hobby.

I still find new shit in Morrowind almost 20 years later. I can't tell if Morrowind 2018 isn't being made because it's not being demanded or because it's more economical to make anything else in current year.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Battlefield 4 is still about 90% of my video game time, with Skyrim being a distant 2nd place.

I just don't want to learn anything new.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I think that is a lot of it for me. If I'm going to invest time into something I want to be reasonably good at it. That's why MMOs are a no go, the time investment is to high for too little reward. Do many games just have an unnecessarily high learning curve for no real reason

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think that is a lot of it for me. If I'm going to invest time into something I want to be reasonably good at it. That's why MMOs are a no go, the time investment is to high for too little reward. Do many games just have an unnecessarily high learning curve for no real reason
That's basically why I stopped playing card games. Recently, I've tried 3-4 times to play them as casual and inbetween other games. And I would always end getting pissed when the opponent would play cards I wouldn't expect. I used to blame this on Hearthstone's RNG, but I've been giving Gwent a try too. I then realized I could anticipate most scenarios like a streamer...if I played as much as a streamer.

I'm currently in the "never going to play again" phase, trying to hold strong. There's a lot of aspects of TCGs that I love, but the time requirement to not get pissed off...too much for me.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
That's basically why I stopped playing card games. Recently, I've tried 3-4 times to play them as casual and inbetween other games. And I would always end getting pissed when the opponent would play cards I wouldn't expect. I used to blame this on Hearthstone's RNG, but I've been giving Gwent a try too. I then realized I could anticipate most scenarios like a streamer...if I played as much as a streamer.

I'm currently in the "never going to play again" phase, trying to hold strong. There's a lot of aspects of TCGs that I love, but the time requirement to not get pissed off...too much for me.
After watching pro competitions with folks that have memorized the entire deck and know exactly the potential scenarios for the next three turns, seeing rng shit on them, "if they play this I'm screwed," *they play that card*, counter as best as possible, "if they play this card I'm super screwed," *they play that card*, counter, "if they play this card I lose," and being a spectator you see them draw that exact card and play it, gg. Losing to rng, it ends up being like a computer facing a computer in chess.

naSBSMR.jpg

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sure, but I'm saying I know I'm making mistakes because I don't have the time invested to not make those mistakes(without spending 5 minutes per turn).

This is like "know the meta" kind of mistakes. Or know what the opponent is doing when they play unexpected cards.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
And I'm saying even if you did, your chance of winning is still up to rng. Why I don't much care for said card games.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
One thing I am noticing is some of you guys play games, watch them, read about them non-stop. Doing something other than video games will help. Still won't make you immune to just sitting on the internet, wasting time in your life another way or ending your "gaming drought", but it should help to not let it consume the entirety of your entertainment time. I personally can't imagine watching people on Twitch and then also playing games. At least not too often.

I've been forcing myself to finally play through some of these single player games that aren't purely progression based: MLB The Show Diamond Dynasty (RPG/Progression mode), EQ TLP, WoW etc. Actually realizing after an hour or so I forget that I bought these games because they were universally received as "good".

• 1Like