Gavinrad's Mass Effect 3+ Thread

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah. Legion was heartwrenching. 'Does this unit have a soul?'

What would have been an acceptable ending which didn't negate it?
The culmination of all your hard work and machinations that either fail or succeed in repelling the threats from outside forces. You spend a large part of the game building nonsense war assets alongside crucible development that, while I don't expect it to do everything, tie in a lot of the major choices made throughout the game in a final assault that could easily end up with a illusive man boss fight without flying too off the mark of where they were heading anyways. So in your example, you'd show either the Geth, Quarians, or both fighting against the reapers.

Instead, you get the last ten or twenty minutes of the game where, funny enough, there is no real confrontation. Then you get the Catalyst nonsense that comes from left field. The ending(s) should've been determined by your actions throughout the game, not by deciding on a couple shitty choices right at the end of the game.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The best ending is never buying their shit again and watching them go bankrupt for being greedy assholes.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I have only played ME2, when it came out. Which puts me in a lonely boat I am sure. Anyways, given the choices at the end of ME2 I had figured ME3 was going to offer a split path. One that worked with the illusive man and one that didn't.

Both paths would involve a final showdown with the reapers, but what kind of a showdown was going to be the difference. The path that works with the illusive man was going to be morally questionable, but tactically viable, utilizing the discovered reaper tech against the reapers themselves. With a revelation at the end that Cerberus ends up constructing it's own reapers out of populations spread around the galaxy with forced soylent camps. When the reapers are defeated the illusive man stands to dominate the galaxy. Shepard either embraces this or is reviled by it. Either way the reapers are defeated, but at what cost.

The other option is to give the illusive man the finger, and form a coalition of all the sentient groups in the galaxy to fight the reapers. This, I assume, would follow more of the current story of ME3 before the ending sequence (I don't know I didn't play it) Here you are not only trying to get the diverse factions to work together, but you are also in contention with the illusive man who is still going ahead with his scheme to build his own reaper force. The personal connections Shepard makes would be vital to swaying the influential members of each race. I thought this path would be the natural self sacrifice path. Shepard makes things more difficult for them personally by not working with the illusive dude, and ends up paying for it.

Anyways that was what I suspected was going to occur given the way the ending to ME2 played out. So when I heard about the really disappointing ending to ME3 and the direction they chose I kinda lost all desire to finish the series. Maybe I will try it someday, but it just doesn't seem worth the effort at this point.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I have only played ME2, when it came out. Which puts me in a lonely boat I am sure. Anyways, given the choices at the end of ME2 I had figured ME3 was going to offer a split path. One that worked with the illusive man and one that didn't.

Both paths would involve a final showdown with the reapers, but what kind of a showdown was going to be the difference. The path that works with the illusive man was going to be morally questionable, but tactically viable, utilizing the discovered reaper tech against the reapers themselves. With a revelation at the end that Cerberus ends up constructing it's own reapers out of populations spread around the galaxy with forced soylent camps. When the reapers are defeated the illusive man stands to dominate the galaxy. Shepard either embraces this or is reviled by it. Either way the reapers are defeated, but at what cost.

The other option is to give the illusive man the finger, and form a coalition of all the sentient groups in the galaxy to fight the reapers. This, I assume, would follow more of the current story of ME3 before the ending sequence (I don't know I didn't play it) Here you are not only trying to get the diverse factions to work together, but you are also in contention with the illusive man who is still going ahead with his scheme to build his own reaper force. The personal connections Shepard makes would be vital to swaying the influential members of each race. I thought this path would be the natural self sacrifice path. Shepard makes things more difficult for them personally by not working with the illusive dude, and ends up paying for it.

Anyways that was what I suspected was going to occur given the way the ending to ME2 played out. So when I heard about the really disappointing ending to ME3 and the direction they chose I kinda lost all desire to finish the series. Maybe I will try it someday, but it just doesn't seem worth the effort at this point.
Is that really realistic? I mean you're basically talking about two separate storylines alltogether. Voice acting and animation isn't cheap.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Is that really realistic? I mean you're basically talking about two separate storylines alltogether. Voice acting and animation isn't cheap.
Maybe the last 30 min would be different, not the whole game. How anyone could look at the different endings essentially changing the color of the explosion at the end and seeing that as anything but a big fuck you to their fanbase is beyond me

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And again, Tuco. I'm calling bullshit on the TV analogy. I recently marathon'd the first two seasons of American Horror Story with my girlfriend and I guarantee you we are just as much engaged as fans that have been watching it season by season. Yes, replaying the games increases attachment (for most people), but there are plenty of people that can get engaged on the first go through regardless of the time span (hence "addictive" personalities - hyperbolic extreme). I preordered ME2 based off my first run of the initial ME game.
To each their own. I'm just saying that if someone blows through all three MEs in a few weeks and then doesn't understand why people are so rustled over it it might be explained by what I said.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still look back at ME2 as one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. As for ME3, it was a classic case of over promising and under delivering.

I never felt like they "SHIT THE FUCKING BED, OMGz", but they just did not give people what they promised they would. I guess they could have filmed 30-40 short 30 second clips and pieced 3-4 of them together depending upon your choices, but that was not real important to me personally. I don't mind if I get the same ending as everyone else, as long as it is a kick-fuckin-ass ending. Unfortunately, it was merely, meh.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I think if one was clever about it, most scenes and resources for one path could be used or tweaked for the other. Also, the whole game doesn't need to be one long string of cut scenes. Only take the camera away from the player when it's important.

On a side note why did they implement the Paragon and Renegade system? Why bother with all of that additional dialogue and animation when it amounts to jack? I figured the character you turned Shepard into through your actions would eventually manifest itself in a meaningful way.

I dunno, they definitely ended ME2 on a note that very heavily implied that what you just did totally changed the way the up coming conflict was going to be handled. And it totally didn't. Totally...

Sulrn

Deuces
It's entirely realistic. Other games have manged it in the past (major decisions within the same game) by using the same assets but clipping dialogue and alternating the flow of play via skipping levels/rearranging them. It's already been mentioned that by adjusting your assets the game doesn't have to be entirely different. Only the resolution and impact.

You can still go to Mars, you can still go to Palaven's moon, etc. Instead of killing Cerb on Mars switch with Alliance Soldiers - instead of the AI shell put Vega or Ashley/Kaidan. On Palaven add one renegade action option to assassination the Primarch. With a slight twisting of resources and perspective two completely separate story lines are possible with largely the same game.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I still look back at ME2 as one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. As for ME3, it was a classic case of over promising and under delivering.

I never felt like they "SHIT THE FUCKING BED, OMGz", but they just did not give people what they promised they would. I guess they could have filmed 30-40 short 30 second clips and pieced 3-4 of them together depending upon your choices, but that was not real important to me personally. I don't mind if I get the same ending as everyone else, as long as it is a kick-fuckin-ass ending. Unfortunately, it was merely, meh.
More like taking a shit in a box then wrapping it in Christmas paper.

Javik?
That gay ninja guy of the illusive man?
War assets being completely usless?
Complete 180 with the story line?

You can spend all day with how shitty that game was.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
TJ Lazer - Space Scumbag

Edit ehhh watched a few more of these and they are pretty stupid.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Gavinmad Gavinmad
7.jpg