Gears of War 5

Utnayan

F16 - Having fun in Iran
<Gold Donor>
17,817
15,899
Played this yesterday from Gamepass on my X1X. Pretty good so far. Made it to Act 1 Chapter 3 or so. Graphics on the OLED are awesome with 4k HDR and the Dolby Atmos support rocks the house.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 - Having fun in Iran
<Gold Donor>
17,817
15,899
Just wrapped up Act 2 and that was VERY well done. Really liking the game so far. Definitely worth a gamepass sub or maybe even a flat out purchase so far.
 
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Gold Donor>
18,602
45,914
It’s a good game. The horde mode is a lot of fun.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
25,084
31,780
I like the game but for some reason i feel exhausted playing after 30 mins and have to quit. just got to chapter 2 after a few weeks. Game is drop dead gorgeous on PC though, cool thing is I can play at the same time on PC and xbox (login under a diff account but gamepass "works" on my X since its my "home" console) and join my own game and compare visuals, etc.
 

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
5,346
-477
Felt like a rushed ending to me and just a setup for GOW6 more than a finished story.
 

Argarth

On the verandah
1,424
1,406
Just started playing the Campaign in co-op with a buddy from work, having a blast! He's on Xbox, I'm on PC (Ult Game Pass) and the experience has been seamless.

Almost everything cranked to Ultra with High Rez texture pack installed. Drop-dead gorgeous game, and runs like hot shit off a shiny shovel. Highly recommended.
 

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
86
47
anyone playing this on xbox series x with mouse and keyboard ? I am terrible on FPS with a controller, but it "should" fully support mouse and keyboard ... or is there a drawback I don't consider ? (same question for COD Warzone)
 

spronk

FPS noob
25,084
31,780
gears e-day releases soon (?) review scores are out



this cost like $400m, is exclusive to xbox (and PC), and is supposed to turn it around for xbox LOL. does anyone even give a fuck anymore about gears? i'll probably play at some point since its free with gamepass but i'm not even sure i finished gears 5. i think i did, but remember nothing.
 
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sinistkir13

Golden Baronet of the Realm
3,178
18,057
gears e-day releases soon (?) review scores are out



this cost like $400m, is exclusive to xbox (and PC), and is supposed to turn it around for xbox LOL. does anyone even give a fuck anymore about gears? i'll probably play at some point since its free with gamepass but i'm not even sure i finished gears 5. i think i did, but remember nothing.

Now let's see the story director...
gears-of-war-e-day-story-director-laid-off-last-week-from-v0-wpvOU6nGMSBCcyQnefMk_8VDJDyJMpY81TnHCrW9C6s.jpeg


Now let's see the lead story producer...

gears-e-day-will-suffer-the-same-fate-as-most-modern-games-v0-y1hgth6fbash1.jpeg


john-jonah-jameson-lol.gif
 
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,237
10,926
gears e-day releases soon (?) review scores are out



this cost like $400m, is exclusive to xbox (and PC), and is supposed to turn it around for xbox LOL. does anyone even give a fuck anymore about gears? i'll probably play at some point since its free with gamepass but i'm not even sure i finished gears 5. i think i did, but remember nothing.

I never got the appeal of gears at all. It was a dumbed down cover shooter for console tards.
 
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2,482
6,069
Gears is quite generic yes, it's mostly another waist-high-wall-ducker, everything-looks-grey shooter.

However I'd say the stories for the first three games were quite decent, the world was quite unique and the story had some interesting twists and some definite gut-punches.

After that when it started to become the adventures of the little kids of the old main team I stopped paying attention to it, but since this one is going back to before the first game, perhaps the story could add some actually interesting stuff.

Yes I play shooters for the story.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,237
10,926
Gears is quite generic yes, it's mostly another waist-high-wall-ducker, everything-looks-grey shooter.

However I'd say the stories for the first three games were quite decent, the world was quite unique and the story had some interesting twists and some definite gut-punches.

After that when it started to become the adventures of the little kids of the old main team I stopped paying attention to it, but since this one is going back to before the first game, perhaps the story could add some actually interesting stuff.

Yes I play shooters for the story.
Nothing wrong with that
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1,242
6,356
Through act 2 now. Wouldn't of thought that it was made by the same team that brought 4 and 5 (because they weren't good IMO). The token chick in the squad is actually likeable, and we're back to Dom & Marcus killing locust. Gotta give it to the lighting guys - they killed it. Feels very good so far.
 
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gator

Trakanon Raider
1,112
942
I just watched Peanut, Nickmercs, Hutch, Cloakzy, marathon the whole campaign on the hardest difficulty and from what I saw it looked very generic. I started watching around the end of chapter three or the start of four I think. I never played gears so I have no connection to the characters but from Sinistkir13 Sinistkir13 post above the story fits from what you would expect from them. They tried to push too much bromance or emotion that just felt off from the cut scenes i saw. These hardend badass warriors are up in their feels. Typical with todays writing. The game was loaded with bugs from the sky not loading in, random deaths, characters not able to traverse obstacles, and a permanent red screen.

Nick said the game was absolute trash not worthy of a rating.
Cloakzy gave it a 5
Hutch said it was a 6.
Their main complaints were the bugs, writing, the final boss fight was very underwhelming for the hype and build up, and lastly its only like three PIO's that you visit and revisit.
Edit: oh yea, since Hutch hosted, he was the only one that got credit for completing the campaign.
 

Caeden

Golden Baronet of the Realm
8,754
14,444
I felt like gears was aimed at non shooter fans. I rarely play shooters. A few dooms, bioshock, but I really liked gears gameplay. I treated it like a weird horizontal platformer in my head.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1,242
6,356
I just watched Peanut, Nickmercs, Hutch, Cloakzy, marathon the whole campaign on the hardest difficulty and from what I saw it looked very generic. I started watching around the end of chapter three or the start of four I think. I never played gears so I have no connection to the characters but from Sinistkir13 Sinistkir13 post above the story fits from what you would expect from them. They tried to push too much bromance or emotion that just felt off from the cut scenes i saw. These hardend badass warriors are up in their feels. Typical with todays writing. The game was loaded with bugs from the sky not loading in, random deaths, characters not able to traverse obstacles, and a permanent red screen.

Nick said the game was absolute trash not worthy of a rating.
Cloakzy gave it a 5
Hutch said it was a 6.
Their main complaints were the bugs, writing, the final boss fight was very underwhelming for the hype and build up, and lastly its only like three PIO's that you visit and revisit.
Edit: oh yea, since Hutch hosted, he was the only one that got credit for completing the campaign.
That whole crew is the least reputable group I'd listen to, personally. They're streamers. They want huge reaction dense content. Nick still does peepee-poopoo jokes at 40 years old. Haven't seen too much 'feels' related stuff. The beginning of the game starts w/ them honoring Dom's brother, who died. That IS gears though - there is emotive writing. Go play Gears 2 or 3. I think if those guys wanted something w/ out any sort of dialogue and braindead killing that's pure fun, Doom the Dark Ages is right there. Don't get me wrong, I despise ham-fisted progressive stuff into my game franchises, but I can also be objective too, and I don't see much of it here. This isn't Dragon Age Origins -> Dragon Age Veilguard by any stretch.
 
Last edited:

Grim1

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
5,071
7,148
Gears is quite generic yes, it's mostly another waist-high-wall-ducker, everything-looks-grey shooter.

However I'd say the stories for the first three games were quite decent, the world was quite unique and the story had some interesting twists and some definite gut-punches.

After that when it started to become the adventures of the little kids of the old main team I stopped paying attention to it, but since this one is going back to before the first game, perhaps the story could add some actually interesting stuff.

Yes I play shooters for the story.
First game has a lot of charm. I like the characters and the game play is fun, nothing complicated. Sometimes I just want to jump into a game and not think about 5 million different systems before firing a gun.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2,482
6,069
Wait, wasn't the whole thing about a rainbow flag that it included a bunch of colors and represented all of those "minorities"? If they have a flag for each now, isn't it back to not being a community?

This whole alphabet mafia thing gets really confusing at times.