General Advice Thread

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have something I would like your opinions on and figured might as well turn it into a general anyone can ask anything thread.

Friend of mine is getting married in a couple months. I live next door to him since grade 7 in school and we hung out almost every weekend and most days of the week. A couple years after highschool ended he moved to a different city and I stayed. We talked every now and then and the occasional time we would hang out. He has more of a party mentality and I devolped more of a family one. I got married and had children while he went to house parties etc. He along with his entire family (sisters,parents) were invited to my wedding.

Well the other day I got a Facebook message telling me that my wife and I were invited to his wedding, but to the dance only. So I texted him for clarification asking whether I was invited to see him get married but not to the dinner. He said that I could come see him get married if I wanted to but I would have to find something to do for the next 6 hours before the dance started. In my mind I feel I basically invited myself to the ceremony as it didnt come off that he was planning to invite me there.

So I looked through the list of people invited by facebook to the dance and realize they are just mostly aquaintences and not people he would truly call friend. I then figured out who would be getting an actual invite to the wedding based on who was omitted to the invite from Facebook and thought that it was dickheaded on his part to invite some of those people to the whole thing and not me.

So what would you guys do? Go to just the dance and be cool with it, or plan to ignore the whole thing and just let the day pass by?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd likely be busy for the day and unable to attend. You misjudged the relationship you had, not a biggie. Can still be friendly neighbors, but now you know what is what /shrug

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'd go, get absolutely hammered, and tell everyone you come across the most embarrassing stories you can remember from your growing up together. Maybe try to fuck his new wife. But seriously though, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Maybe it's a kick in the pants to some extent, but I really doubt he means any ill will by it. From the sounds of it you guys have drifted apart since you were younger and he's become closer with other people. I'd still go, because really you got invited to the most fun part of the wedding anyways.

I think it's kind of odd to only invite someone to a part of your wedding though. Never really heard of that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's why I tried to have a super-inclusive wedding and reception so I didn't have to make the tough calls on who is invited to what and so that people I actually considered close didn't fall through the cracks. The latter is especially a problem if the groom doesn't have strong oversight on the invitation process which is commonly true.

Personally I wouldn't go but I wouldn't be offended over the snub. If the wedding was somewhere fun that I could find other shit to do I might go, but hell I hate weddings in general.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I wouldn't go. Fuck it. Weddings are a giant waste of time hanging out with people you barely know anyway unless they're family. Why fucking bother?

lindz

#DDs
After the conversation you had with him it will be obvious that you are pissed if you don't go. It will likely cause problems with whatever relationship you do have. If you want to keep being acquaintances, suck it up and go, celebrate his marriage and congratulate him. If you don't care about speaking with the guy anymore, skip it. It makes you look kind of petty but if you truly don't care about the guy anymore, it doesn't really matter.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Go to the wedding but pack an MRE. While in the pew pour the tobasco in the heater (more for extra efficacy) and then add ample water and quickly tape/secure it air-tight. Drop it under the pew go use the bathroom.

The ensuing pop and hissing of tobasco-tear gas will deliver your message of discontent as wedding-goers flee to safety.

Extra points for throwing it up in the air for an air-burst.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This sounds like something a woman would complain about.

Honestly, fuck weddings. Have you been to one of those things? I'd pass.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
This sounds like something a woman would complain about.

Honestly, fuck weddings. Have you been to one of those things? I'd pass.
While I totally agree that it sounds like a woman thing to complain about, there are probably 3 people I would absolutely expect an invite from and he was one of them.

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
Sucks to say, but perhaps you two have just gone different directions. Should of been a clue a long time ago when you had a focus on family and he had a focus on getting fucked up.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think the best advice you can get here is along the lines of forget about it. Whatever it is that's getting ya worked up about this just let it go. Trolling facebook to find out who got snubbed? Duuuuude. Stop, take a breath.

Doesn't sound like it'll matter if you go or not.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Don't be a pussy. Go and try to have a good time. Life is too fucking short to pass up opportunities to get drunk and celebrate with people.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
if you are sour grapes on it, then dont go. politely decline, and send your $200 gift check (or whatever is appropriate these days). then, a few months down the line, if its still bothering you, you can mention you were upset to not be invited to the wedding.