General Advice Thread

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
No way in hell I would go. Sounds like the type of person that thinks everything is about him... that his life events are unique and special and everyone is excited for them.

Fuck that dude... no way I would go.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Maybe have a heart-to-heart with your old friend.

My guess is you don't know the future bride at all? That may be the biggest reason for the snub. If it's a traditional marriage, then her family is paying for the wedding, and *perhaps* it's a smaller intimate affair, and she is being really picky on who to invite to the wedding, i.e. people she is familiar with. Maybe she doesn't even realize how good of friends you and your friend were in the past. You look at the guest list and you only see casual acquaintances, but to your friend and his future bride, they may be more familiar with them than they are with you. The fact that you didn't know about the wedding until he told you on Facebook makes me think you two aren't that close anymore....did you even realize he was close to getting engaged?

So maybe he's not inviting you to the ceremony because of his bride, and she's got his balls in a vice. Or maybe he just doesn't feel you are that good of a friend anymore. Or maybe he didn't realize you would feel slighted not being invited to the wedding after all the years you guys have drifted away from each other. In any case, I still feel communication is the key, and based on what he tells you is the reason you aren't invited to the ceremony, you can decide whether or not you want to go.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

As for the OP...your next door neighbor messaged you in facebook...? About which parts of his wedding you may attend? Serious man card demerits.

Can you imagine being at the dance and being asked " Why weren't you at the ceremony or dinner/whatever"? That would be fun. Asking permission to attend a party seems like a mood killer from the get go, I would not attend but also not hold a grudge.

...I'd definitely have my dog poop on his lawn a few times though

tt33_sl

shitlord
So maybe he's not inviting you to the ceremony because of his bride, and she's got his balls in a vice.
This is probably most likely the issue! Anyway, weddings are BORING if you don't know anyone else there. I'd be inclined to give it a miss....but then I'm not the most social person around!

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I was out drinking with some friends and some dude was trying to start a fight with one of my buddies. When it became clear there was no way out of this except to leave, we left. The guy followed us out to the car and attacked my friend. I sucker punched him and he hit the concrete really hard. Knocked him out. He said he was an off-duty cop. He said a lot of stupid shit.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how fucked am I?

taebin

Same trailer, different park
If he attacked your friend and there's multiple witnesses to it, you shouldn't be in any trouble.

Fucked level = 3
Bro level = 9

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If he really is an off-duty copy you're lucky he didn't shoot you dead immediately and falsify all reports. He would've been suspended with pay at most. The fact that you're here posting is a miracle.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I was out drinking with some friends and some dude was trying to start a fight with one of my buddies. When it became clear there was no way out of this except to leave, we left. The guy followed us out to the car and attacked my friend. I sucker punched him and he hit the concrete really hard. Knocked him out. He said he was an off-duty cop. He said a lot of stupid shit.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how fucked am I?
Talk to a lawyer.

iannis

Musty Nester
Not fucked at all. Worst case you got into a barfight with an off duty cop and coldcocked the dumbass. He's not gonna come back on you three days later and serve papers. That would require admitting to all of his "friends" that he got into a barfight and lost. If he's the type of dumbass that's gonna snivel away with "I'm an off duty cop! you don't know who you're fucking with!" he's the type of dumbass that cares what his "friends" think.

Most probable case is that at most he's a security guard.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
So i'm being transfered because of my job and I'm going to northern texas. Whats the verdict on the area? Will be a city outside of Dallas - undetermined yet.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Need a little advice, kind of strange I guess.

I'm graduating next semester so naturally I'm sending out resumes and stuff. My school occasionally alerts us of opportunities and usually they're garbage or looking for someone with a PhD.. but this one caught my interest. Basically the air force is looking for electrical/computer engineering majors graduating between January and May of 2014 (which I fall into). Some benefits include:

- $3000 monthly (Housing allowance, Base salary, Food allowance)
- Full medical and dental coverage
- Full use of all Air Force facilities
- Guaranteed engineering officer position in the AF
- Air Force DOD ID Card - E-3 rank until start of Basic Officer Training (after graduation you will be an O-1, 2nd Lieutenant)
- Top Secret Security Clearance

It's some engineering officer program, where I would need to dedicate 4 years of my life to. Obviously my other options are to go and look for a normal engineering job.

Anyone with any experience in military or even this program that can chime in? I've dealt with military recruiters before, and most of them are cutthroat assholes.. so I really want to do research out of what this guy will tell me. How is military pay vs. non-military? Will I need to travel often/relocate often?

Any advice? I know it's a personal decision, but I don't want to go into this and be fucked.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have a close friend who went through the ROTC program and then went on through the four year officer training. Now he's a pilot in the Air Force and he loves it. He travels around quite a bit and I think gets relocated every four years. An officer in the Air Force sounds like a 5-star job. You're treated like a celebrity. Or maybe that's just pilots.