General Gaming News and Discussion

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
There's no fucking way you actually took the time to look at the original interview

I did, actually. I have an MBA and I'm fluent in executive-speak messaging. When you announce a move to something anti-consumer you spend most of your time talking about how it's pro-consumer and increases choice. Then a bit down the road when you've boiled the frog and trained the new customers you remove the old business model because you claim it's under-utilized and a worse value anyway. This exact playbook is between the lines of his speech and fairly explicit right in the paragraph where the "clickbait" quote was taken from.

Enjoy renting your games.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
^ this pretty much was the point of my supposition in quality. Maybe it doesn’t happen, but it sounds like the same corpo speak of “choice” until conditioning happens.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I did, actually. I have an MBA and I'm fluent in executive-speak messaging. When you announce a move to something anti-consumer you spend most of your time talking about how it's pro-consumer and increases choice. Then a bit down the road when you've boiled the frog and trained the new customers you remove the old business model because you claim it's under-utilized and a worse value anyway. This exact playbook is between the lines of his speech and fairly explicit right in the paragraph where the "clickbait" quote was taken from.

Enjoy renting your games.

Nothing was announced you retard. Someone asked "What needs to happen for subscription services to be a larger portion of video game revenue?" and he answered "People would have to be more comfortable with not owning the games. Right now they aren't"

But you have an MBA, so you obviously know all the details just by reading a clickbait headline.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Nothing was announced you retard. Someone asked "What needs to happen for subscription services to be a larger portion of video game revenue?" and he answered "People would have to be more comfortable with not owning the games. Right now they aren't"

But you have an MBA, so you obviously know all the details just by reading a clickbait headline.

No, this was from an announcement of the launch of a new service and call to focus on growth of subscriptions. Link was in TFA. He's rather openly talking about training consumers away from owning games just like the DVD/CD > streaming transition.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
No, this was from an announcement of the launch of a new service and call to focus on growth of subscriptions. Link was in TFA. He's rather openly talking about training consumers away from owning games just like the DVD/CD > streaming transition.

If you want to call adding some things to their existing service launching something new, then whatever, but there isn't anything additional in that link that changes the quote's meaning from "Consumers being more comfortable with not owning games is a major factor on how subscription services do" to some Karl Marx shit

Fucker

Log Wizard
My only comment is that I wonder if a transition to “rental” only for games will result in the massive decline in quality that’s happened with movies and TV. Feels like we get such half assed cheap slop nowadays with straight to streaming.
We are already there. Making games is easy these days, so there is no bar to entry. You can get free tools anywhere and slap shit together with little effort. Some gaming bros see Rogue-like_10329 and think they can do better, so they make Rogue like_10330. The world is full of garage gaming studios made up of gaming bros, that why we get Rogue-like_76538108471234234543243698471946574918 and they all suck. Finding good games is hard now because they are all covered under by 9 trillion shitty gaming bros games.

Larger budget games have to pass the executive sniff test. Like movies, execs don't want to stray away from any formula, so we get 3190482 games and 1349672329 movies wherein the only thing that changes is the title on the box. Rogue-like Survival Game_148900172543509358985113474, or Chris Pratt movie_10039 all of the same as all the others.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
My only comment is that I wonder if a transition to “rental” only for games will result in the massive decline in quality that’s happened with movies and TV. Feels like we get such half assed cheap slop nowadays with straight to streaming.

That's because there's 100 different streaming services trying to pump out massive amounts of content hoping theirs will lose less money and survive longer than the other guys.

Doesn't make sense that video games would ever fully go that route when someone like From Software could just do sales only and sell 150 million copies since their shit's gold and they'd have 100% of the market

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Do you blame them though? Risky shit is well... risky. Were not talking about a few hundo K here but millions and even sometimes hundreds of millions including 4-6 years of your studio tied up in making it. So this is why we get AAA shit thats been done to death and formulaic that they know will sell. Only innovation coming out in gaming seems to be indie shit these days. Same with movies too.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Doesn't make sense that video games would ever fully go that route when someone like From Software could just do sales only and sell 150 million copies since their shit's gold and they'd have 100% of the market
More like 18 million. And now imagine having those 18 million paying your ass $10-$15 per month while you get to play their entire catalogue. And then season passes, some shit to make your dude look more cool...Etc...

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
More like 18 million. And now imagine having those 18 million paying your ass $10-$15 per month while you get to play their entire catalogue. And then season passes, some shit to make your dude look more cool...Etc...

They already sold 20 million copies of Elden Ring as of a year ago in the real world.

In this fictional scenario there's zero competition for them and the choices are buy their game or rent someone else's shovelware

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And there would be still zero competition if they went rent a game. Not saying they will or would, im just saying.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
And there would be still zero competition if they went rent a game. Not saying they will or would, im just saying.

What? They'd be competing with everyone else in that case. Not sure if you're following what the discussion is about

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Who? xbox live? or PS whatever the fuck? Its the only ones that comes to mind. If you want to play from games, you pay, either for box price or the fucking sub. Simple as that. And there is plenty of people that jack off to anything from software, so they would have plenty of subbers. The competition comes down to product. If your product is good, people will pay, either a sub or full box price. They would prob score way more subs anyway from the wishy washy people that dont want to drop a full box price but dont mind $10-$15 for a month to check their shit.

Last edited:

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sven (owner of Larian) responded to the click-baity headline. I don't have a twitter account, so cant actually see his timeline to link the other tweets, so here it all is, condensed, via RPGWatch:

2024-01-18 02.01.07 rpgwatch.com 9b9a5bfd769c.png

First tweet in the chain:

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
What was wrong with Trials of Atlantis?
It tried to turn what was already established as a Guild v. Guild/Realm v. Realm v. Realm PvP game into a PvE focused "raiding"/"epic" questing/etc. game.

Essentially, SOE had released Planes of Power the year before. Mythic saw how successful it was, and then said to their devs, "Hey, let's try to do that but make it fit our game's "lore"!". It was the complete wrong direction to take the game at the time. They could've stuck a lot of that loot on the World/Realm dragons instead, or even just added yet another "world"-type loot pinata with similar drops - similar to the dragons they already had in each realm.

Instead, they tried to shoehorn in a bunch of PvE shit that the largely PvP focused community had no interest in and hated. Not to mention, it was a bug ridden mess at release. A lot of the encounters sucked, wouldn't give credit/flags, gave credit to people in groups not raids, etc. Hell, I went back to play DAoC for a nostalgia hit like 4 or 5 years ago and some of the encounters/quests are STILL bugged and require weird workarounds.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Who? xbox live? or PS whatever the fuck? Its the only ones that comes to mind. If you want to play from games, you pay, either for box price or the fucking sub. Simple as that. And there is plenty of people that jack off to anything from software, so they would have plenty of subbers. The competition comes down to product. If your product is good, people will pay, either a sub or full box price. They would prob score way more subs anyway from the wishy washy people that dont want to drop a full box price but dont mind $10-$15 for a month to check their shit.

That's not really what we're talking about. It's if everyone went subscription only, would everything turn to shit like with the TV streaming services.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That's not really what we're talking about. It's if everyone went subscription only, would everything turn to shit like with the TV streaming services.
I still dont see the whole "competition" thing youre claiming there would be. Games are not like TV, in that youre only playing one at a time, so you would sub to the game you want to play. And maybe check out some others while youre there. Not all of them at once. Content would still drive people to certain game companies they like, right? How many games do you play at the same time?

As for the turning to shit, thats a fucking opinion, man. I mean today we get to have more entertainment than ever before in the history of TV. And ive been around for a while. Back tot he days of having 5-6 channels on the TV, then the whole expensive ass cable craze of the 80s and beyond. Today you have anything and everything you ever wanted to watch is prob on there somewhere for pennies per hour. From great sci-fi down to chick flicks for your wife and endless kids shit for your kids. So you saying its all turned to shit while I say this is really a great time for home entertainment. Sure there are a ton of services, but you dont have to sub to all of them at the same time either. Apple has great sci-fi, amazon has their things that are great plus you can rent shit on there too. Netflix kinda went sour over the years but there is still great shows and movies on there. Hulu has some goodies too. I mean we all binged the fuck out of the good ones so now there is less and less. Plus there is the youtube thing which is free, with pretty much endless shit to watch depending on what your interest is. Any fucking hobby or interest will innnundate you with 100s of hours of videos.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I still dont see the whole "competition" thing youre claiming there would be. Games are not like TV, in that youre only playing one at a time, so you would sub to the game you want to play. And maybe check out some others while youre there. Not all of them at once. Content would still drive people to certain game companies they like, right? How many games do you play at the same time?

As for the turning to shit, thats a fucking opinion, man. I mean today we get to have more entertainment than ever before in the history of TV. And ive been around for a while. Back tot he days of having 5-6 channels on the TV, then the whole expensive ass cable craze of the 80s and beyond. Today you have anything and everything you ever wanted to watch is prob on there somewhere for pennies per hour. From great sci-fi down to chick flicks for your wife and endless kids shit for your kids. So you saying its all turned to shit while I say this is really a great time for home entertainment. Sure there are a ton of services, but you dont have to sub to all of them at the same time either. Apple has great sci-fi, amazon has their things that are great plus you can rent shit on there too. Netflix kinda went sour over the years but there is still great shows and movies on there. Hulu has some goodies too. I mean we all binged the fuck out of the good ones so now there is less and less. Plus there is the youtube thing which is free, with pretty much endless shit to watch depending on what your interest is. Any fucking hobby or interest will innnundate you with 100s of hours of videos.
You managed to say we have more entertainment than ever, and then in the same paragraph say we have less and less.

The point isn't quantity, rather quality. If you are a simpleton who eats shit and thinks it is steak, then yes, there is a massive amount of entertainment out there. For anyone who values quality, there's almost fuck all in terms of new things to watch. A few decent movies a year, and maybe as many tv shows.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I don't think anyone is gonna top MissMikkaa beating Elden Ring on a controller and dance pad at the same time while also being hot.

Had to look this up.

"I finished Elden Ring on a dance pad"

Me: Yeah that's probably doable

"With no deaths"

Me: Unlikely but I could see it

"In seven hours"

Me: What the actual fuck

• 1Like