General Gaming News and Discussion

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I own a switch I still haven't beat a single game on there. If I'm not gaming with friends I get incredibly bored.

I miss having friends come over and we'd take turns playing single player games.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I own a switch I still haven't beat a single game on there. If I'm not gaming with friends I get incredibly bored.

I miss having friends come over and we'd take turns playing single player games.

Been doing that for the first time in a while with Call of Duty games. Have people over, we pass the controller around on deaths. None of them ever played the single-player on those games to any major degree so it's new to all of us. Went through MW1-3 (the original ones) now doing World at War and then Blops 1-3. Each campaign being like 5 hours long also helps, since we do this one evening every week or two. It's pretty cool to do this sort of couch co-op get-together for the first time in years.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My son was die hard Switch for a couple years. Then he played my ps5 in the basement on an 86 in tv with a 9 speaker atmos setup and he hasn’t touched his switch since. There’s some things that consoles are just built better for. I play almost exclusively on PC but playing ratchet and clank, ac6, and some other stuff down there on a console is just a great experience.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

You could probably hire a prostitute every once in a while to do that with you. She’d probably be thrilled for the change of pace, maybe give a discount.

• 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I think Nintendo went in the right general direction with the Switch but it would nice if they prioritized making the hardware specs a tad more robust. Yeah the portability of the Switch somewhat excuses the weak hardware but they could definitely put more effort into it instead of just continuing the trend they started with the Wii of letting their system lag miles behind the specs of Microsoft and Sony. Maybe hold some of their developers to a higher standard instead of letting them churn out trash cough gamefreak cough
Never count Nintendo out. When the original Wii came out , I laughed my ass off when I saw it and thought 'well I'll never have to buy one of those'. If it had been just me, that would probably have been the case. Except. Wife , brother , his wife, nephews. I owned 3 of them, cracked every one of them (You used Zelda but I don't remember how - Zelda was the only game I paid for LOL) so they came over since I had the 'new' games. The Switch looked weird but again, don't count them out they sell them like hot cakes. That one I do not own.

Changing subject: I missed that Beamdog did an enhanced version of Never Winter Nights, Anyone play it? Did they fix that wonky ass camera ? It's been a few years since I played through that game , I may have to give it another run. Just not sure I want to pay for it for the 5-6 time.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Never count Nintendo out. When the original Wii came out , I laughed my ass off when I saw it and thought 'well I'll never have to buy one of those'. If it had been just me, that would probably have been the case. Except. Wife , brother , his wife, nephews. I owned 3 of them, cracked every one of them (You used Zelda but I don't remember how - Zelda was the only game I paid for LOL) so they came over since I had the 'new' games. The Switch looked weird but again, don't count them out they sell them like hot cakes. That one I do not own.

Changing subject: I missed that Beamdog did an enhanced version of Never Winter Nights, Anyone play it? Did they fix that wonky ass camera ? It's been a few years since I played through that game , I may have to give it another run. Just not sure I want to pay for it for the 5-6 time.

My problem is mostly that they are still charging insane money for games that are equivalent to $1 indie games with the same fidelity. If they had cheap hardware, cheap games, just more focused on 'core gameplay' rather than extortion, it would be fine. The original Pokemon games are more fun than the recent ones, and Mario Kart hasn't meaningfully changed in decades.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
My problem is mostly that they are still charging insane money for games that are equivalent to $1 indie games with the same fidelity. If they had cheap hardware, cheap games, just more focused on 'core gameplay' rather than extortion, it would be fine. The original Pokemon games are more fun than the recent ones, and Mario Kart hasn't meaningfully changed in decades.
/shrug

I had the game channel and newsgroups - I don't know what you are talking about this 'extortion' LOL

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
/shrug

I had the game channel and newsgroups - I don't know what you are talking about this 'extortion' LOL
“It’s not extortion if you just steal from them” wtf?

Also no one “counted Nintendo out” people just wish they made a better system. Nintendo crushes it in sales volume so they don’t really need to improve anything…people can still wish they would.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I've got the Neverwinter Nights remaster for PS4, been trying to get around to it to resume the CRPG Crusade. It still looks real archaic though, even in HD. I don't know how the camera was before but it seems fine in this version, you've got full control over moving it around and I didn't have any issues with it in the 2 hours or so that I've played it. Lemme know if you do give it a run, might help me get motivated to get back to it.

I almost always get Nintendo consoles way after they're out, and Sony consoles at release. The Wii in particular I remember having like zero interest in outside of Twilight Princess, and I didn't get one until mid-2010. Funnily enough the things that eventually got me to get one after four years were FF4: The After Years and Mega Man 9, two Wiiware retro-looking games. Missed the Castlevania Adventure remake sadly, didn't even know it existed until it was off the eShop.

I'll say this though, the two Mario Galaxy games were pretty much worth the price of admission for a Wii by themselves. I think Galaxy 2 still holds the crown as best 3D Mario game of all time.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Anyone know what the track is at 49:09? Unsure if it's something from this game, or some other game. Doesn't sound like your regular PS1 theme, wouldn't be surprised if it's from some modern game.

Szlia

Anyone know what the track is at 49:09? Unsure if it's something from this game, or some other game. Doesn't sound like your regular PS1 theme, wouldn't be surprised if it's from some modern game.
No idea, but if I had to guess I would say it's some anime opening or closing music.

spronk

FPS noob

looks pretty cool, wonder if there is a way to download it since paramount is definitely gonna kill it

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
No idea, but if I had to guess I would say it's some anime opening or closing music.

Just discovered Shazam works on videogame music. It's a boss theme from Sonic 06... so Sonic 06 actually has good things about it?

• 1Mother of God

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Maybe this would be better placed in the video thread, but I figured the gamers section might appreciate it more. I have thought about this stuff before, but never researched it. Then today this was suggested to me by the algorithm. I enjoyed it and thought dude had some decent humor about losing an arm.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

i think respawn did the two jedi fallen order games and i enjoyed them, a mando game could be fine i guess. there is also the open world ubisoft star wars game this year, better a flood than a drought i suppose

RIP battlefront 3

If they put Gina Carano in it I'll check it out. Exclude her and no buys from me.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Hodjing

Xevy

Log Wizard

i think respawn did the two jedi fallen order games and i enjoyed them, a mando game could be fine i guess. there is also the open world ubisoft star wars game this year, better a flood than a drought i suppose

RIP battlefront 3
So they're uncanning the game they were working on with Boba Fett years ago that looked like it had great potential and everyone was creaming their corduroys for. Smart. "Hey, let's make that thing people wanted instead of the stuff people didn't want. This might be a better business plan!"

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The XCom devs that quit Firaxis en masse to form their own studio are also working on a Star Wars game but I don't think it's due out in 2024.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The XCom devs that quit Firaxis en masse to form their own studio are also working on a Star Wars game but I don't think it's due out in 2024.
How many padawans will I get to send to their deaths when they miss the enemy 4 turns in a row?

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users