Throbbing Member

angry will ferrell GIF

• 11Like
  • 6Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 17 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
We already do this. It’s called kickstarters and other bullshit milking. I’m not tipping a fucking dime for this.

Hey guys! Tip me for making the fucking plastic that’s used in all the shit you buy. Let me leave you my patreon. No? Right.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If we were going to tip game devs that implies there is a scale of quality and a distinct threshold line where we would tip for work above it but not below.

The fact that Blizzard thinks their work in the modern era would be above that line is insanely delusional.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
^Can't read or doesn't understand how confirmation bias works.

Look, I'm about as resistant as they come (as a straight white male anyways) when it comes to DEI bullshiat, but when you have Game developers actively not hiring white people and couple that with the huge increase in game development costs, you get projects ONLY getting made if the investors see companies like Sweet Baby Inc are involved to race swap and generally use a racial / diversity checklist at the expense of story.

A steam curator is up to almost 400,000 gamers fed up with this checklist bullshit. Steam Curator: Sweet Baby Inc detected

Also look at the stupid controversy surrounding Stellar Blade, a South Korean game that did nothing wrong, but we can't have a hot girl in a game anymore. That's it. It's a purity spiral out of control, and I'm sick of them uglifying classic female characters, or neutering formerly powerful white male characters just to boost the diversity hire.

IJustWantToPlayGames.jpg !!!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Look, I'm about as resistant as they come (as a straight white male anyways) when it comes to DEI bullshiat, but when you have Game developers actively not hiring white people and couple that with the huge increase in game development costs, you get projects ONLY getting made if the investors see companies like Sweet Baby Inc are involved to race swap and generally use a racial / diversity checklist at the expense of story.

A steam curator is up to almost 400,000 gamers fed up with this checklist bullshit. Steam Curator: Sweet Baby Inc detected

Also look at the stupid controversy surrounding Stellar Blade, a South Korean game that did nothing wrong, but we can't have a hot girl in a game anymore. That's it. It's a purity spiral out of control, and I'm sick of them uglifying classic female characters, or neutering formerly powerful white male characters just to boost the diversity hire.

IJustWantToPlayGames.jpg !!!
Thanks for literally illustrating my point.:emoji_lizard:
You've turned confirmation bias into an entire religion.

• 1Imbecile
  • 1Repost

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
You've turned confirmation bias into an entire religion.

I'm an optimist, so I'm going to hope you're just being a bad troll and not a worse, more retarded person who has become the living embodiment of breaking under the strain of cognitive dissonance.

I like that you and Kirun Kirun are running the same "nuh uh, you're all the boomers/snowflakes/NPCs now" troll.

Please give us all a break and fuck each other already to release some of that incel pressure cooker that is festering in each others biological testicles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

There is something to be said about that. path of exile is the most expensive free to play game I've ever played. and I did not buy supporter packs because I needed the bagspace really. it did it because of "this is so good, take my money".

kenshi/terraria/starsector... never bit, but honestly probably should have bought merch as a donation for the insane quality/time played for price ratio. terraria especially for its post launch updates. free expac/dlc.

Saying it for $70 full price games is some entitled privileged bullshit.

but as stated those either very cheap indie games, or outright f2p path of exile.
What about all those games I get on sale? 90% of games I get are 50-90% off sales.

I did get wrath of the righteous DLC for that reason. "this game is so good, i owe them money" was absolutely a small part of the choice to by the dlc..... which was also on sale. haha

• 2Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Are there any games that have made "pay to win" a deliberate central focus of the game (besides Star Citizen)?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I would give the main character in Stellar Blade a tip if I could. Just the tip.

• 1Worf

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If you're trying to argue that it's bad that people think DEI is bad, you're doing a shitty job of it.
How do you get that from her post? I honestly can't understand.

Essentially all Mist said is that not every failed company failed because of DEI and/or solely because of DEI (which implicitly allows that some did fail because of DEI). That doesn't seem like that crazy a statement, since many companies folded before DEI was all the rage. Business success is no easy thing. Yet, too many people will go out of their way to misread anything she writes so they can make like a moth to a flame.

If you disagree and feel that every failed company is because of DEI, make that your rebuttal. Nowhere in that post did she make the argument you're implying she made.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande

Essentially all Mist said is that not every failed company failed because of DEI and/or solely because of DEI (which implicitly allows that some did fail because of DEI). That doesn't seem like that crazy a statement, since many companies folded before DEI was all the rage. Business success is no easy thing. Yet, too many people will go out of their way to misread anything she writes so they can make like a moth to a flame.

If you disagree and feel that every failed company is because of DEI, make that your rebuttal. Nowhere in that post did she make the argument you're implying she made.
He's not gonna fuck you bro.

• 7Worf
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 7 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Of course not every failed company is because of DEI. I mean, it probably doesn't help, but most companies are able to fail entirely on their own.

I just don't mind if everything thinks it is. The more people that think DEI is a death sentence for a company, the less of it we'll have. (I mean, that's not entirely wrong, but it's probably more of a slow-acting poison than a headshot.) Propaganda can work in both directions, so fuck em.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What exactly is your stance on DEI in gaming studios? You bitch at ppl who dislike it, so I guess you support it?
My point is that most companies and most products fail. But people only pick up on the failures that align with their agenda. That's how confirmation bias works.

My other point is that a certain kind of reactionary constantly picks up on the new three-syllable-thing to hate. It's a weirdly specific pattern. It's like the "I support the current thing" meme reversed.

Specifically to the point, and I've said this at least once before, I do not think that companies should hire outside consultants to score their products for diversity. If your organization is so culturally broken that you need an outside consultant to curse/bless your organization like some kind of cultic priest, you've got big problems and that money is better spent within. It's not that diversity is bullshit, it's that consultants are bullshit.

But simply put, eventually an industry runs out of available white male autists and has to find as many other kinds of autists as possible if you're going to grow your autism-powered organization. My actual opinions about DEI are more complex, and generally align with Marc Cuban's rather epic argument to Elon Musk on Twitter a few months ago: companies with more diverse boards and senior management generally tend to do better over the long term, and this can be easily proven with statistics. Broadly, tech companies had very rapid development growth during the same period of time that diversity was a big push. Technology accelerated very rapidly in the span of time that diversity in STEM has been incentivized. That is correlation, not causation, but one can certainly make an argument.

For gaming, things are a bit different. The best games are developed by teams of <25 people, often a core team of <5 people. 2-Pizza-sized development teams, in the parlance of one John Carmack and adopted later by Jeff Bezos. DEI pushes largely happen in factory-farm corporate studios that have 300+ duhvelopers on a project, hiring cohorts of 10 programmers at a time and hoping 1 of them is good enough to complete the AGILE-SCRUM-STORY-BOARD-JIRA-TICKET-NONSENSE. Indies can do whatever the fuck they want. If you want to make Black Queer Dad Dating Simulator and not hire any white people, I don't give a shit, the Steam charts will gladly figure that problem out for you.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Midwit

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Sure, just because a company fails with DEI doesn't mean it failed because of it.

But is DEI saving any companies? Is it actually making s single company or product better? I would say no, but I'm open to arguements.

If you assume the premise DEI isn't helping any company or product, then every company that folds with DEI, even if not because of it, wasn't helped by DEI. Then the question becomes without DEI would they have had freed up resources or focus or better products that could have kept them from folding.

There are a million little things that aren't the sole cause of a business going under, but contribute to it going under. Saying DEI didn't cause a studio to fold isn't a complete argument. If it's present and not helping then direct cause or not it was either a contributing factor or a red flag of other issues being present.

I've yet to see a single arguement DEI actually helps anything, which is why we instead get cheap pseudo arguments from trolltards that argue DEI can't be proven as the sole cause of a failure.

Argue DEI helps and then an actual discussion can be had.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Sure, just because a company fails with DEI doesn't mean it failed because of it.

But is DEI saving any companies? Is it actually making s single company or product better? I would say no, but I'm open to arguements.

If you assume the premise DEI isn't helping any company or product, then every company that folds with DEI, even if not because of it, wasn't helped by DEI. Then the question becomes without DEI would they have had freed up resources or focus or better products that could have kept them from folding.

There are a million little things that aren't the sole cause of a business going under, but contribute to it going under. Saying DEI didn't cause a studio to fold isn't a complete argument. If it's present and not helping then direct cause or not it was either a contributing factor or a red flag of other issues being present.

I've yet to see a single arguement DEI actually helps anything, which is why we instead get cheap pseudo arguments from trolltards that argue DEI can't be proven as the sole cause of a failure.

Argue DEI helps and then an actual discussion can be had.
I think the broader question is whether DEI contributes and doesn't contribute to a company going under, what the fuck do you care? If it's truly the cause of some horrific malady in the gaming space, the market will clearly show that to them. As it seems to already be doing with so many "AAA" games completely losing their ass recently.

It's almost like if you make a good game, people won't give a fuck. DEI won't make a bad game good, but it won't make a good game bad either. Players just want good fucking games - simple.

• 1Picard

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Those hoofbeats are definitely zebras, guys.

Mist Mist do you have the obvious statistical backup for your claim of diversifying ownership and boardship definitely leading to better outcomes? I am skeptical as fuck.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users