General Gaming News and Discussion

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The ultimate success of capitalism realized when fools (like me) with disposable income spend real currency on literally nothing and they do so eagerly and willingly.

Think the stupidest microtransaction (dwarf trans rights are human rights!) were clothes in The Secret World. I have also come to regret the number of digital game purchases I have made over the years.

Oh, the sweet drug that is convenience.
For what Ive spent on League of Legends over the last since.. what.. 2009? 2010? is outrageous, looking back at all the skins. Never mind the rune packs, and all that bullshit for in the early builds that the game doesnt even have anymore. But somewhere in that mess is a really good free video game thats constantly updated, so I dont regret it.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
For what Ive spent on League of Legends over the last since.. what.. 2009? 2010? is outrageous, looking back at all the skins. Never mind the rune packs, and all that bullshit for in the early builds that the game doesnt even have anymore. But somewhere in that mess is a really good free video game thats constantly updated, so I dont regret it.

Heh... I'm sure this doesn't even count three trips to Seattle to watch The International.

Haven't launched Dota 2 in probably 5 years (oh found that). Still some of the most fun I had gaming for 6 or 7 years.

1714848273550.png

1714848357710.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The ultimate success of capitalism realized when fools (like me) with disposable income spend real currency on literally nothing and they do so eagerly and willingly.

Think the stupidest microtransaction (dwarf trans rights are human rights!) were clothes in The Secret World. I have also come to regret the number of digital game purchases I have made over the years.

Oh, the sweet drug that is convenience.
The greatest irony of this is that MTX could've been ethically implemented (and I'm sure in very rare cases it is), and even sparingly, to fund future projects smartly. Instead it usually goes to paying dividends, bonuses and is implemented as the core revenue chase of these triple A studios.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
If mtx helped fund a DEI program that helped even one BICOC (black indigenous coder of color) then wasn't it worth it? #womenwhocode

That's the annoying thing. I think a lot of these companies saw mtx in particular as so lucrative it is as like having a ton of extra money to throw away on non gaming things.

Speaking of gaming news, the nonprofit Women Who Code had to shut down. Another sham bites the dust.

• 4Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If mtx helped fund a DEI program that helped even one BICOC (black indigenous coder of color) then wasn't it worth it? #womenwhocode

That's the annoying thing. I think a lot of these companies saw mtx in particular as so lucrative it is as like having a ton of extra money to throw away on non gaming things.

Speaking of gaming news, the nonprofit Women Who Code had to shut down. Another sham bites the dust.
That’s the major problem with gaming, all the excess money being used for useless garbage bullshit and paying shareholders instead of just being used to reward passionate creators creating great games made for passionate gamers. Its just another bottomless pit of corporate greed with a few great outlier studios and indie games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
CCP still sells shoes and people buy them in Eve Online after they removed the station deal where you could actually see your feet. It's there, must buy is all I can think of.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
...so you don't buy video games? Or pay for any tv entertainment?
No, I boycott it all. It's too woke nowadays and X keeps me up to date on the latest things I'm supposed to hate. They don't make entertainment like they used to!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

I still play LOL every once in a while, though. Like a game of ARAM or something. I'm obviously not going to buy some political propaganda bullshit, but I dont see where, in the past, buying a 10-20 dollar skin because it looks cool on a character I have fun playing.. is all that different than buying something physical I enjoy in that moment. It's no worse than someone collecting gaming memorabilia or some Magic Cards in my mind. I could sell my LOL account for quite a bit at one point just because I have some rare skins, and Im sure I can still get "something" for it now. Singed and Alistar's rarest skins to be specific. Even though LOL isnt near as popular as it was.

But I sure af DONT have mixed feelings over WoW's cash shop. As in, fuck that specific implementation. Ive bought, individually, the base game, and every single expansion that the game has ever had, and probably several years worth of subscription time since 2004. Now you can see exactly where those mounts and armors would drop in the game, in the following expansion. They're literally taking content away from what you're paying for. Its like having day one DLC for a single player game. Its just greed, plain and simple and it was the biggest billboard of things to come with that game.

But whatever, I see people on here bitch at others about cash shop shit and then Ill see them in a game with the rainbow faggot horse and clown armor. Virtue signaling over video games is fucking gay af.

• 1Pathetic

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Im talking about buying cosmetics and what not in games.
I have never ever seen the point in playing dress up in games much less PAYING to play dress up. Unless item #whatthefuckever has better stats than I have now I want no part of it. In fact I'm playing Jedi Survivor now since I finally have a rig beefy enough to go full out 4k and since all the 'collectables' are cosmetic bullshit I made it my mission to make my guy look the gayest possible.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Responding to Daidraco Daidraco . Didn't hit reply. EZboard not so easy.

Rationalizing being a sucker for cash shop vanity items under the guise it's actually a sound investment is an interesting cope.

Paying $20 for a skin in a game is now okay because some other game was withholding content to sell separately out of greed. And totally different situations. "Sorry, boss, we just don't have the resources to create that character skin... Wait, hold on, we just got some $20 pledges!"

It's okay to be a stooge, though, because of a made-up story about someone anti-mtx gamers from FOH who was secretly buying gay mounts that wasn't made fun of or mentioned until now when one needs to defend their own actions.

Uhuh, sure. It's makes so much more sense now. Yikes and oof.

• 1Cringe

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I have never ever seen the point in playing dress up in games much less PAYING to play dress up. Unless item #whatthefuckever has better stats than I have now I want no part of it. In fact I'm playing Jedi Survivor now since I finally have a rig beefy enough to go full out 4k and since all the 'collectables' are cosmetic bullshit I made it my mission to make my guy look the gayest possible.

I like playing dress up with my characters. I just want the game to be in the game and not mtx cash shop bullshit.

Like I want Diablo 4 to just have any good looking armor for the female rogue instead of a bunch of ugly shit and then good looking stuff for real cash sale.

Obligatory: Elden Ring managed to do it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm trying to figure out what his point is. My guess is he's really trying hard to sell the idea that lots of game devs are completely tarded? Anyone who gamed long enough already knew that was true. Most games sucks, some are pretty good. It's just the way things are.

Daidraco

Responding to Daidraco Daidraco . Didn't hit reply. EZboard not so easy.

Rationalizing being a sucker for cash shop vanity items under the guise it's actually a sound investment is an interesting cope.

Paying $20 for a skin in a game is now okay because some other game was withholding content to sell separately out of greed. And totally different situations. "Sorry, boss, we just don't have the resources to create that character skin... Wait, hold on, we just got some $20 pledges!"

It's okay to be a stooge, though, because of a made-up story about someone anti-mtx gamers from FOH who was secretly buying gay mounts that wasn't made fun of or mentioned until now when one needs to defend their own actions.

Uhuh, sure. It's makes so much more sense now. Yikes and oof.
If you want my actual cope, instead of your contrarian dick head logic - i dont mind paying for a skin in league of legends because i like the fucking game and want to support it. 🙄

• 1WTF

velk

Trakanon Raider
I have never ever seen the point in playing dress up in games much less PAYING to play dress up. Unless item #whatthefuckever has better stats than I have now I want no part of it.

Surely that would put you fully in favor of paid cosmetics though ? You get a cheaper game and lose nothing you care about, while the barbie-dress-up crowd pays for updates for you.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
If you want my actual cope, instead of your contrarian dick head logic - i dont mind paying for a skin in league of legends because i like the fucking game and want to support it. 🙄

I don't personally care if you waste your money on dumb shit. Sucks for the rest of us that it helps contribute to shitty, greedy practices, but it's your money. Or rather, it's your principles. Unfortunately the rest of us have to share a hobby with suckers.

Yeah, you're right, saying you want to support the game so you buy extra shit they didn't just put in the game in the first place to instead suckers fools and their money is the more pathetic cope. Well done.

I miss the days where gamers liked a game, so bought it and future games or full expansions from the studio and that was the expectation. Instead of them pretending adding fun and interesting things to a game is somehow "extra" so retarded gamers can buy them and pretend it's some kind of investment or philanthropy.

Since when was buying and playing a game not liking and supporting a game enough? Want to be supportive? Write a positive review and stop supporting shitty business practices and then rationalizing you're a real good guy for doing so.

And meanwhile it's not like these giant gaming corporations are just barely scraping by on the generosity of losers buying $20 character skins... They're making and waiting a shit ton of money to provide what are often half done games with fully fleshed out cash shops.

No big deal though, your account full of cash shop skins can be sold to some bigger loser. Totally normal practices and perspectives indicative of a well adjusted society.

• 1Moron