General Gaming News and Discussion

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I tried a few times and Control never clicked with me. Couldn't get into it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that was the overall sentiment if I remember the main thread correctly. A few people (myself included) loved it and really enjoyed everything going on and the easter eggs about Alan Wake. Then, like most things, the other half it just didn't click with. I actually was just waiting for the final DLC or something and never finished up all that content. Need to catch the whole thing on a sale at some point.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I never could beat it due to getting lost in the game near the end, the in game map was horrible. That was my only complaint

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Control had the weirdest narrative style ever. I, like 99.99% of gamers, did not play Alan Wake either, I assume it was similar.

I didn't get super far in that game, despite liking the combat and the graphics for the most part.

spronk

FPS noob
I enjoyed it but i played it "for free" when the ultimate edition came on PS+ so its hard to bitch about free

unless you're a woman

same thing with sequel, i won't pay $70 for it but when it eventually hits gamepass, PS+, or EGS i'll play it

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I, like 99.99% of gamers, did not play Alan Wake either
Wat? Alan Wake sold millions of copies even before the remaster.

Remedy games have always had a weird narrative style all the way back to Max Payne, that's the best thing about them. It's not that weird though, it's not like you're watching a David Lynch movie or something.

Control was easily one of the top games of 2019 and people who gave up on it early missed out. It's one of those extremely rare games where the DLC really adds to the base game too; up there with DXHR's Missing Link, Witcher 3 DLCs, etc.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought you hated missing link, or was it just the bullshit standalone implementation?
Nah, it's just the Director's Cut WiiU port that I hate. I agree about the standalone implementation though, fixing that is one of only positive things I can say about the DC.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Game meant for people who sperg out on paranormal/spc nonsense.

Gameplay was ok, but the story went absolutely nowhere.
All that Control fellatio had me thinking of giving it a try in the near future, and I don't much care for fist person shooters, outside of a select few games.

Thanks for the heads up, chief.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
All that Control fellatio had me thinking of giving it a try in the near future, and I don't much care for fist person shooters, outside of a select few games.

Thanks for the heads up, chief.

Well you're in luck, because it is a third person shooter.

Unless you don't care for those either. In which case we're right back where we began!

I thought the story was fine honestly, but I probably fall in to that paranormal/spc nonsense group since X-Files, Fringe, Warehouse 13, Dresden Files, Lost Room. Anyways, point made.

spronk

FPS noob
A late patch added a bunch of accessibility options, I finished the game normally last year but went back around summer time to do the DLCs (included in ultimate edition) and didn't feel like relearning the combat, but they added a ton of options which are basically god mode but you can tweak it out, like infinite ammo or 1 shot kills or infinite superpower. It was pretty easy jamming through the DLCs with infinite ammo and extra strong aim assist.

Game is pretty easy otherwise though, combat on consoles is a little wonky in the style of uncharted / tomb raider / GTA in terms of gun play but you get used to it really fast.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well you're in luck, because it is a third person shooter.

Unless you don't care for those either. In which case we're right back where we began!

I thought the story was fine honestly, but I probably fall in to that paranormal/spc nonsense group since X-Files, Fringe, Warehouse 13, Dresden Files, Lost Room. Anyways, point made.
Third person and first person shooters are in the same boat. A few games that I liked and played through once, but I usually get bored fairly quickly with them.

A long time ago, FPSs switched 90% of development to multiplayer, and, outside of Goldeneye, I had no interest in spending the time to get good at them. So, I wrote them off altogether and I don't think I have played a FPS since Half-life 2. The 3rd person shooters have a little more legs, if you count games like GTA and Mass Effect 2 & 3.

I can get into space and aliens, but have little interest in paranormal shenanigans (unless they go full on DnD type magic filled world). The game looks original, though(?), so maybe, if I am lacking for a game to play, someday.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
To add to Gavinmad Gavinmad 's good recap.

The way most game sound-tracks work is that they are short, reactive clips that go with the flow of the action. So Mick Gordon, the composer, had produced over 4 hours of music (even though he was only contracted and paid for 2 hours) that they stitched into the game, to make a perfectly fine and reactive sound-track. There were plenty of challenges to even get to that point, but everyone got their work done and it would be all good if that is where the story ended.

Then, about 6 months before the game launched, ID/Bethesda announced at E3 that the collectors edition would also get a full OST soundtrack. Well, as you can see, producing the game music and an OST are two totally different things. It was a surprise to Mick because he hadn't be asked or consulted at all about producing an OST, but it was not too concerning, because they had all that time to get it done.

During that 6 months, Mick was constantly asking Marty Stratton (the game producer) for a contract to get to work on the OST and Marty completely ignored him. Come to find out later, that Marty asked an internal ID Studio guy on the sound design team to take Mick's 4 hours of piecemeal tracks and make an OST out of them.

Two days before the game launches, Mick finally and surprisingly gets a contract from ID/Bethesda/Zenimax to have him deliver the OST. He would have about a month to do it. Mick is totally upset and distraught about it, but tries to deliver it anyways within the timeframe they need it. He gets 10 of the 12 tracks fully produced and runs into a tech issue at the last minute that is going to delay his delivery of the full package by about 5 hours. Marty takes this opportunity to throw out all his work and instead go with the internal studio guy's piecemeal 4 hour soundtrack, call it Mick's shitty work and blame him for everything. This OST was cut and paste work without transitions, beeps, blips, and pings that would destroy your eardrums. To call it amateurish would be kind. And they called it Mick's work.

Marty goes to Reddit and destroys Mick's reputation. Internet trolls start doxing Mick, spamming his email to the point his server crashed, harassing Mick's other clients trying to get him fired, death threats, and 24/7 phone calls with messages threatening him and his family.

Marty and ID/Bethesda/Zenimax lawyer up, and try to pressure Mick to signing a six figure settlement and gag order. Mick declines and instead tells his side of the story.

It is all pretty fucked up.
I think some where in there Mick let’s Marty fuck his wife to try to keep the peace

• 1Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

The way most game sound-tracks work is that they are short, reactive clips that go with the flow of the action. So Mick Gordon, the composer, had produced over 4 hours of music (even though he was only contracted and paid for 2 hours) that they stitched into the game, to make a perfectly fine and reactive sound-track. There were plenty of challenges to even get to that point, but everyone got their work done and it would be all good if that is where the story ended.

Then, about 6 months before the game launched, ID/Bethesda announced at E3 that the collectors edition would also get a full OST soundtrack. Well, as you can see, producing the game music and an OST are two totally different things. It was a surprise to Mick because he hadn't be asked or consulted at all about producing an OST, but it was not too concerning, because they had all that time to get it done.

During that 6 months, Mick was constantly asking Marty Stratton (the game producer) for a contract to get to work on the OST and Marty completely ignored him. Come to find out later, that Marty asked an internal ID Studio guy on the sound design team to take Mick's 4 hours of piecemeal tracks and make an OST out of them.

Two days before the game launches, Mick finally and surprisingly gets a contract from ID/Bethesda/Zenimax to have him deliver the OST. He would have about a month to do it. Mick is totally upset and distraught about it, but tries to deliver it anyways within the timeframe they need it. He gets 10 of the 12 tracks fully produced and runs into a tech issue at the last minute that is going to delay his delivery of the full package by about 5 hours. Marty takes this opportunity to throw out all his work and instead go with the internal studio guy's piecemeal 4 hour soundtrack, call it Mick's shitty work and blame him for everything. This OST was cut and paste work without transitions, beeps, blips, and pings that would destroy your eardrums. To call it amateurish would be kind. And they called it Mick's work.

Marty goes to Reddit and destroys Mick's reputation. Internet trolls start doxing Mick, spamming his email to the point his server crashed, harassing Mick's other clients trying to get him fired, death threats, and 24/7 phone calls with messages threatening him and his family.

Marty and ID/Bethesda/Zenimax lawyer up, and try to pressure Mick to signing a six figure settlement and gag order. Mick declines and instead tells his side of the story.

That sounds so insane and cartoonishly evil that there just HAS to be more to it than that.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Side anecdote, Story Time With Raj, feel free to skip:

When I was a kid (like 18) I worked for a gas station. 3 days a week, nothing serious, was just putting in some work to help my mom out instead of starting college. A few people at the gas station had a clique and didn't like me, so they did everything they could to bad-mouth me to the owners when I wasn't around. Since I hadn't actually DONE anything, the owners couldn't fire me, and probably didn't want to. So instead the clique put me under heavy scrutiny. Like Stalin's police chief, "show me the man and I'll show you the crime". And they STILL couldn't find anything to stick me with. They complained about me so much that the owners reduced my schedule from 3 days a week to 2 days to 1 day a week. At that point I knew something was wrong, but nobody would tell me anything. The other employees acted like everything was fine, the owners just kinda didn't want to talk to me. One guy there was kind of sympathetic to me and told me that the bad-mouthing was "nonstop" when I wasn't around and he didn't know why.

So on the week that it was reduced to 1 day, the employees that didn't like me took a bunch of stuff from the store (like $70 worth of merchandise) and put all of it on my employee credit. The owners had it set up so employees could ring up food or whatever on their employee badge # and get all of it at a small discount (like 10%). It'd come out of that week's check. So they put in my ID # and bought all this stuff as me. It ended up being more than my check for that week (remember, was down to one day a week, and minimum wage at the time was like $8). So on that week's check (the following Friday) I was going to get nothing.

This was a Thursday so I hadn't even gotten the previous week's check (the next day) which was for a whole two days or $140ish.

I went into the office and complained about the theft and how I didn't actually make any purchases, something that would be easy to prove with the transaction timestamps and looking at the station cameras. The bosses didn't even want to look into it, and told me I'd caused enough headaches for them, now I was blaming people for stuff. Then they fired me right there, and told me to sign an NDA type document promising I wouldn't bring legal action against them and agreed with my termination. I refused to sign it because it was all bullshit, and they told me they'd with-hold tomorrow's $140 check if I didn't sign it.

My mom needed that money at the time since we were the poorest we've ever been, so I reluctantly signed the paper. Stopped in and got the $140 check the next day and had a few of the employees laugh at me in this super mean-spirited way. I never got the check for the final week, it got gobbled up by their stolen goods.

This whole thing made me angrier than probably anything else in my young adult life. Like I wanted to go back and put bricks through the windows if I could get away with it. But I didn't, I took the ass-beating like a little pansy boy and sulked away.

Basically I compromised my principles for $140.

This story came back to me while reading the Mick Gordon thing. Now I'm wondering if I had a substantial lawsuit on my hands with that place (for wrongful termination, unfairly garnished wages, harassment, threatening to withold pay) and totally messed up by signing a no-sue form.

Cad Cad and anyone else, feel free to weigh in with how dumb I was to let them bend me over like that. Again, I was 18, and had never been treated that badly in a work environment before so I was more caught off guard than anything.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

When I was a kid (like 18) I worked for a gas station. 3 days a week, nothing serious, was just putting in some work to help my mom out instead of starting college. A few people at the gas station had a clique and didn't like me, so they did everything they could to bad-mouth me to the owners when I wasn't around. Since I hadn't actually DONE anything, the owners couldn't fire me, and probably didn't want to. So instead the clique put me under heavy scrutiny. Like Stalin's police chief, "show me the man and I'll show you the crime". And they STILL couldn't find anything to stick me with. They complained about me so much that the owners reduced my schedule from 3 days a week to 2 days to 1 day a week. At that point I knew something was wrong, but nobody would tell me anything. The other employees acted like everything was fine, the owners just kinda didn't want to talk to me. One guy there was kind of sympathetic to me and told me that the bad-mouthing was "nonstop" when I wasn't around and he didn't know why.

So on the week that it was reduced to 1 day, the employees that didn't like me took a bunch of stuff from the store (like $70 worth of merchandise) and put all of it on my employee credit. The owners had it set up so employees could ring up food or whatever on their employee badge # and get all of it at a small discount (like 10%). It'd come out of that week's check. So they put in my ID # and bought all this stuff as me. It ended up being more than my check for that week (remember, was down to one day a week, and minimum wage at the time was like $8). So on that week's check (the following Friday) I was going to get nothing.

This was a Thursday so I hadn't even gotten the previous week's check (the next day) which was for a whole two days or $140ish.

I went into the office and complained about the theft and how I didn't actually make any purchases, something that would be easy to prove with the transaction timestamps and looking at the station cameras. The bosses didn't even want to look into it, and told me I'd caused enough headaches for them, now I was blaming people for stuff. Then they fired me right there, and told me to sign an NDA type document promising I wouldn't bring legal action against them and agreed with my termination. I refused to sign it because it was all bullshit, and they told me they'd with-hold tomorrow's $140 check if I didn't sign it.

My mom needed that money at the time since we were the poorest we've ever been, so I reluctantly signed the paper. Stopped in and got the $140 check the next day and had a few of the employees laugh at me in this super mean-spirited way. I never got the check for the final week, it got gobbled up by their stolen goods.

This whole thing made me angrier than probably anything else in my young adult life. Like I wanted to go back and put bricks through the windows if I could get away with it. But I didn't, I took the ass-beating like a little pansy boy and sulked away.

This story came back to me while reading the Mick Gordon thing. Now I'm wondering if I had a substantial lawsuit on my hands with that place (for wrongful termination, unfairly garnished wages, harassment, threatening to withold pay) and totally messed up by signing a no-sue form.

Cad Cad and anyone else, feel free to weigh in with how dumb I was to let them bend me over like that. Again, I was 18, and had never been treated that badly in a work environment before so I was more caught off guard than anything.
Nah dog you did what you had to do at the time. Sounds like you knew you were getting bent over and just made the best decision you could given the circumstances. That work environment was never going in your favor.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You were 18 years old and from the sounds of it sure as shit didn't have the time or money to waste getting dicked around in court, so what else could you do?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Pussy

• 2Worf
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 4 users