General Gaming News and Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Bungie needed an enema. They've been overdue for a house cleaning and I think the recent backlash and dip in Destiny 2 finally forced the culling. Just hoping they actually shit can those that deserve it and don't double down on woke bullshit.
lol if you think that's actually what happens inside a real company. None of the decisionmakers ever get fired, only shuffled around. The people who get cut are just the ones who actually have to do the work.

• 3Like
  • 1NPC
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its funny to see all these outrage youtube vods in the destiny community come out as if this 8% labor purge is some end of days BS, like how could they!!??!!. Shit, in the automotive business this is like a once every 3-5 yr thing that happens, and yes, mostly right around the holidays.Im sure many of you guys in other industries go through purges like this. Bean counters come down on management they need to get rid of XX people and they have to. Just last year my company went through a 5% purge. The time before this was 10%. Then new projects come in, they hire more peeps because they are short, then the circle jerk repeats.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Its funny to see all these outrage youtube vods in the destiny community come out as if this 8% labor purge is some end of days BS. Shit, in the automotive business this is like a once every 3-5 yr thing that happens, and yes, mostly right around the holidays.Im sure many of you guys in other industries go through purges like this. Bean counters come down on management they need to get rid of XX people and they have to. Just last year my company went through a 5% purge. The time before this was 10%. Then new projects come in, they hire more peeps because they are short, then the circle jerk repeats.
This is 100% true. And most tech companies laid no one off during COVID for a bunch of reasons. A lot of this is just annual churn catching up. Tech companies used to be all stack-ranked where 5% or 10% of people got fired every year for being the lowest person on their teams. But again, that's teams. My point still stands, the Director+ level positions, the people actually making the bad decisions, are never the ones that get cut, just shuffled.

My current company just went through a 30% purge, hiring over 400 people in India during the ordeal. My director said no more cuts for now, this is the 'shape' of the new company. But still, ugly. Every time Outlook had a hickup I was like "Oh no this is it."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah even in engineering, the product development stuff, they are outsourcing more and more to India these days too. White collar is not even safe anymore. They basically have one guy that "communicates" with the india team, basically a go between.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah even in engineering, the product development stuff, they are outsourcing more and more to India these days too. White collar is not even safe anymore. They basically have one guy that "communicates" with the india team, basically a go between.
My wife is in this situation and it's so sad how bad these Indian people are, on average. If she wasn't directing the cattle and preventing them from committing tons of shit, it would be a fire drill every day.

I always thought they made something like half of us but it's actually 10-15x less money. I guess that's why they hire them but I honestly still think it's a bad deal for the company long term. None of them show any ability to think or work independently. If she quit, her part of the product goes down in flames until a US worker steps in to figure it out.

Naturally, the company has made record profits during these oh so necessary reductions.

The Indians who are actually working in the US are pretty solid, though. I guess if you're good enough you get to leave your fellow street shitters.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
bungie fired people cuz destiny 2 is underperforming

And yet they are still stubborn as hell and shrug off the communities pleas to change the game to be better. Instead they do the same shit over and over again and expect a different result. And add more crap to the store to be monetized. Cant sell shit at the store if you have no one playing the fucking game anymore. They have nothing but themselves to blame. Take the PvP side of Destiny, it has gotten like 3 new maps in the last, what, 5 yrs? Granted its a small side of the destiny game overall since its mostly a pve game, but to shit on your pvp community constantly, which are usually the most die hard players, for the better part of 5 yrs? and in PvE weve literally been shooting the same 15 mobs since Destiny 1 came out. And in fact I think Destiny 2 is the only game in history, correct me if im wrong, which actually took content AWAY (sunset they call it) from you that you bought and owned. Like literally entire story lines and arcs removed, along with their zones and sometimes entire planets, just removed from the game.

$100 for an expansion pack and year season bundle? An expansion pack which is really like 20 hours of story, if that? Seasons which have a weekly mission which is time gated and repeatable bullshit to farm and basically the same shit at its core every season?

Then having the audacity to charge $250, if not more now, for a new person to get all caught up with all of the content? And they wonder why they are losing revenue?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Then having the audacity to charge $250, if not more now, for a new person to get all caught up with all of the content? And they wonder why they are losing revenue?

Is a lot of the old stuff still not even playable anymore? Or did they add stuff back in.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Is a lot of the old stuff still not even playable anymore? Or did they add stuff back in.
No, I just edited my above post to mention that fact. Entire DLCs, their respective planets and the literal OPENING STORY campaign if D2 just removed.

• 1Worf

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are amazing on the wii.

My Child started with the Wii U at 3 or 4 years old. We finished Rayman Legend and then Mario 3d world together in coop.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
No, I just edited my above post to mention that fact. Entire DLCs, their respective planets and the literal OPENING STORY campaign if D2 just removed.

This was the main reason I stopped playing. I hated pvp and watching the best expansion get gutted after paying full price foe it was too much. Why would I risk spending more money if they might delete it later?

They also went all in on pvp which I despised in that game. I just wanted tons of new dungeons.

joz123

Potato del Grande

Loved the original Daytona USA will be cool to try 2 even if it isn't the full version.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Djay

Trakanon Raider
My wife is in this situation and it's so sad how bad these Indian people are, on average. If she wasn't directing the cattle and preventing them from committing tons of shit, it would be a fire drill every day.

I always thought they made something like half of us but it's actually 10-15x less money. I guess that's why they hire them but I honestly still think it's a bad deal for the company long term. None of them show any ability to think or work independently. If she quit, her part of the product goes down in flames until a US worker steps in to figure it out.

Naturally, the company has made record profits during these oh so necessary reductions.

The Indians who are actually working in the US are pretty solid, though. I guess if you're good enough you get to leave your fellow street shitters.
This is my exact experience working with offshore nearly daily for 10+ years. If I don't explain everything in detail, step by step....they get lost and can't figure it out. This is at Fortune 100 companies. There are a few good ones, but, as you point out, most of them are able to move here if they're competent. They're trying to offshore my partner's project now and it's been a dumpster fire for that exact reason. They're still pushing ahead and she'll need a new job in 4 months, but nobody in leadership seems to understand how untrainable they are. (Or they just don't care because they want to cut costs and cash out before things go to shit.)

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is my exact experience working with offshore nearly daily for 10+ years. If I don't explain everything in detail, step by step....they get lost and can't figure it out. This is at Fortune 100 companies. There are a few good ones, but, as you point out, most of them are able to move here if they're competent. They're trying to offshore my partner's project now and it's been a dumpster fire for that exact reason. They're still pushing ahead and she'll need a new job in 4 months, but nobody in leadership seems to understand how untrainable they are. (Or they just don't care because they want to cut costs and cash out before things go to shit.)
Most times you see companies mass-hiring offshore for roles that should not be offshored, it's because they've been purchased by private equity firms who are just trying to run out the clock on the business extracting revenue, keeping as many clients as possible, then implode the company with debt.

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider

Good enough and isn’t there a shortage of workers right now

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Good enough and isn’t there a shortage of workers right now
I don't think the outsourced Indian people are good enough, though. It'd be one thing if they were just doing the most menial and basic of tasks (remedying CVES, increasing code coverage, etc) but at least at my job (which is a $50 billion revenue company) they often have entire projects assigned to them with one US person overseeing them. Some of them have code reviews that have been sitting in review for months because they keep getting rejected with the most basic mistakes. And, they all seem to have a overwhelming love of pointless meetings and calls because they really need hand held through doing anything.

Tons of tech companies have done layoffs and it's not all just HR, excess management, and diversity shit; plenty of engineers get let go. So many of them have made record profits while talking about the tough market outlook. It's all just bullshit.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Some of them have code reviews that have been sitting in review for months because they keep getting rejected with the most basic mistakes. And, they all seem to have a overwhelming love of pointless meetings and calls because they really need hand held through doing anything.

Looool. I tried to hire some durkas a couple of years ago to try out cheap devs and this was my EXACT experience. You describe it perfectly.

To get good stuff from Indian devs you need a manager that will tell them exactly what to do and how to do it. And at that point you’re barely saving time.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1699312172895.png

• 1Tiresome
  • 1Like