General Gaming News and Discussion

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No you power through the inability to understand the systems until you do. Destiny is like MMO lite too, its not that difficult to figure out if you give it some time. Its the same shit with every MMO that has been around for longer than a few years. If you like the game that is. If you dont then just fuck off I guess.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I really like the concept of the looter shooter online or even MMO but I really don't like straight up bullet sponge enemies, which is what I imagine if like Blizzard made it. So stuff like destiny (or even mass effect combat) was fine for a little while but the bosses get super bad and by time you get to raid there's just no feedback that thing you shoot is being hit by bullets. I don't know if there will ever be a great solution to this.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I really like the concept of the looter shooter online or even MMO but I really don't like straight up bullet sponge enemies, which is what I imagine if like Blizzard made it. So stuff like destiny (or even mass effect combat) was fine for a little while but the bosses get super bad and by time you get to raid there's just no feedback that thing you shoot is being hit by bullets. I don't know if there will ever be a great solution to this.
There really isnt. Destiny has tried a few things like adding mechanics to bosses, "damage phases" to others including mechanics and it all ends up feeling bad. And people bitching in one way or another. I guess they could go the way of other mmos with even more mechanics but then remember this is still a shooter with no defined class or roles. There isnt any healers or DPS or Tanks or any of that shit so that limits them in what they can do. And bosses need to be bosses. So yeah, over time bosses will be sponges, there is no way around it. Especially in a 7-8 yr old game where the power of the average player has tripled even quadrupled from when we first began. I dont play too many other mmos these days but I cant imagine how WOW or FFXIV or Everquest bosses are any different except instead of shooting them with guns youre slashing at them with melee and throwing out magic balls.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There really isnt.
Why can't they just make bosses that you've gotta shot lots of different parts off of? Armor plates, eyeballs, weapons, etc. Make it like HZD where you can shoot off their weapons and use them as heavy weapons until they run out of ammo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why can't they just make bosses that you've gotta shot lots of different parts off of? Armor plates, eyeballs, weapons, etc. Make it like HZD where you can shoot off their weapons and use them as heavy weapons until they run out of ammo.
They have that too, with the latest boss enemies the tormentors. Cant even use your roaming supers on them because they supress you out of them.

And just because youre shooting different parts of their armor, in the end its still the same shit, bullet sponges, except now you have to focus different parts of them.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
And just because youre shooting different parts of their armor, in the end its still the same shit, bullet sponges, except now you have to focus different parts of them.
Yes, but at least you're getting feedback when pieces fall off. And that's still way too bullet spongey, there's only 2 parts to shoot off...

I'm talking like giant bosses with lots of things to shoot off. Weapons, 'eyes' that make it worse at aiming, etc. Also adds, many whelps.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Their latest challenge is to under power the players. In legend and master content they lock your power down -10 or -15 respectively. So you just cannot over level yourself with the seasonal artifact. (the seasonal artifact keeps giving you power beyond the cap and the exp is exponential) So right now for instance the power cap is 1810 but my dudes are all 1825 because of the artifact.

Thier latest seasonal activity is called the "coil" where you go through 4 phases of a dungeon like area and in each phase there is a puzzle area, add clear area and then a boss you have to fight. And each one increases in difficulty where they lock down you power level at -5, -10 and -15 from the base 1810. They also have so many revive tokens available, 21 at the start so you just cannot revive each other over and over to power your way through. You make it through all 4 and you get tons of rewards at the end. If you fail they send your asses back to orbit. Youre still rewarded after every phase, but if you make it through all the way is where the good shit is.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like looter shooters are the perfect realm for roguelites. Persistance progression and loop progression. That way you can do the whole loot thing but don't need to balance enemy HP so heavily on a linear dps progression system.

Which is why remnant is so good

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its easier to balance a single player game than an MMO which has been around for almost a decade. The whole problem with mudflation, keeping rewards fresh, adding in new abilities and valuable (powerful) loot and at the same time balancing it all so you are not too powerful and content is not too easy.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What they really need to do is a looter shooter roguelite MMO with strong meta progression in the 40k universe. You make your chapter rock up with a battle barge and with your buddies send down a drop pod at a time.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What they really need to do is a looter shooter roguelite MMO with strong meta progression in the 40k universe. You make your chapter rich up with a battle barge and with your buddies send down a drop pod at a time.
shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its easier to balance a single player game than an MMO which has been around for almost a decade. The whole problem with mudflation, keeping rewards fresh, adding in new abilities and valuable (powerful) loot and at the same time balancing it all so you are not too powerful and content is not too easy.
True. But at the same time I believe most MMOs need a reset every 3-6 months. Kind of like WOW is doing with SoD. Its like their most successful thing yet.

The whole seasons things lets you keep things fresh while not having to reign in the balance decisions so much it strangles you.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A PvP MMO that resets monthly and awards some tiny amount of persistent progression to the winning faction after every month could work.

Basically a month-long game of DOTA. 3-5 factions maybe.

• 1Mother of God

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A PvP MMO that resets monthly and awards some tiny amount of persistent progression to the winning faction after every month could work.

That was supposed to be crowfall.

Shame it turned out to be a turd.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like looter shooters are the perfect realm for roguelites. Persistance progression and loop progression. That way you can do the whole loot thing but don't need to balance enemy HP so heavily on a linear dps progression system.

Which is why remnant is so good
Gunfire Reborn is solid

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Why would anyone want to play a PvP mmo? If you want to play PvP go play any of the 1000 dedicated PVP games that dont rely on RPG shit like gear and items to matter. Skill should be the only thing to matter in PvP, not gear crutches. This is why any MMO with PvP has like 100% separated the two or else its a fucking mess to balance both PvP and PvE are shit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
True. But at the same time I believe most MMOs need a reset every 3-6 months. Kind of like WOW is doing with SoD. Its like their most successful thing yet.

The whole seasons things lets you keep things fresh while not having to reign in the balance decisions so much it strangles you.
Yeah but for how long? How many fucking times you gonna level a fucking warrior or huntard in wow? I already did this three, 4 if you count 2004 and noped out on SOD because I cant be bothered. Destiny has seasonal shit but try and reset everything and 80% of the people would quit. They tried this once and it backfired. So they walked it back.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why would anyone want to play a PvP mmo? If you want to play PvP go play any of the 1000 dedicated PVP games that dont rely on RPG shit like gear and items to matter. Skill should be the only thing to matter in PvP, not gear crutches. This is why any MMO with PvP has like 100% separated the two or else its a fucking mess to balance both and its shit.
PvP is pretty fun so far in SoD...

Anyway, your point is invalid. DAoC, SWG, EVE, UO, ArcheAge, arguably AION, even Lineage, none of these match your description. Warhammer Online was almost great if Mythic hadn't fucked up a few small things that ruined the whole game (like a really shitty implementation of Gamebyro.) PvP semi-persistent survival games continue to be popular.

The monthly reset means the gear differential never grows to some unsurmountable gulf.