General Gaming News and Discussion

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One argument I heard about that recently. It's that the Silent and Greatest generations that survived the hardship period of the Great Depression all had it ingrained in them to pull yourself by your bootstraps. That nobody is coming to help you and you need to work hard as you can to survive. Also to save every single penny you could because there may be a time when shit is fucked and you need it.

They taught this to their children in the Boomer generation. Yet they maintain this perspective even though they were born into the most prosperous period in the history of human civilization. In the most advantageous nation on Earth. Which warped their perspective on everything else as they never had to endure any period of hardship. Comparatively. Vietnam was a drop in the bucket but still completely overturned the institution of Civic Duty forever. Along with discarding centuries worth of traditional values in the Counter Culture.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Why do they owe you "generational assets" I dont understand where this line of thinking comes from? They worked their asses off to retire and now have to live like bums so they can hand a pile of cash and assets to their offspring? Like WTF?

This is some backwards shit. You're SUPPOSED to leave your progeny advantages that you didn't have so that they can be more successful.

My grandfather, greatest generation, made for himself some money and paid for the educations of his children and grandchildren. Still maintained a very comfortable retirement. Cool. My dad inherited his dad's money, made some of his own and... sunk it all in a hobby farm and farts around. I'm doing fine on my own financially and it's not about the money, just the principle of doing nothing productive with it.

If you don't invest in the future don't be surprised when it sucks.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is some backwards shit. You're SUPPOSED to leave your progeny advantages that you didn't have so that they can be more successful.

My grandfather, greatest generation, made for himself some money and paid for the educations of his children and grandchildren. Still maintained a very comfortable retirement. Cool. My dad inherited his dad's money, made some of his own and... sunk it all in a hobby farm and farts around. I'm doing fine on my own financially and it's not about the money, just the principle of doing nothing productive with it.

I think its the whole thing where Boomers instead spend every single penny they have, even after inheriting sizeable sums from their own parents. Then reverse mortgage the family home for additional retirement income. On top of pushing their children into taking on huge debts that they never had to take on. So its really pushing a load of disadvantages onto their own children then leaving nothing behind anyway.

I put my father in this category. He wasn't even a fool with money per se. But he was quite terrible at long term planning in reality even if he was clearly aware of it and how to do it. Every penny he had was tied up in his business and he worked pretty much until the day he died.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
Not to be off topic like everyone else, but the problem with the older generation is that they never paid it forward like generations before. The scions of this country spread their wealth by funding large public works that still are used to this day. Train stations, libraries, universities, parks, etc. It's the old proverb of planting trees that you'll never sit in the shade of, basically. It's a similar mindset when it comes to a lot of boomers - fuck you, got mine, bootstrap yourself.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Not to be off topic like everyone else, but the problem with the older generation is that they never paid it forward like generations before. The scions of this country spread their wealth by funding large public works that still are used to this day. Train stations, libraries, universities, parks, etc. It's the old proverb of planting trees that you'll never sit in the shade of, basically. It's a similar mindset when it comes to a lot of boomers - fuck you, got mine, bootstrap yourself.
This is why they are taking down the statues.

The statues are there because these people paid for public works, not because they were vaguly linked to the slave trade.

They are coming down because they embarass the CEO class, not because of the slavery links.

Anyway to bring it back to gaming, it's the same attitude. They would rather scam cash for some cosmetic and have the cash rather than invest in a whole game and create a legacy.

It's that thing where the WoW cash shop retard mount outsold Starcraft 2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imo, don't blame the boomers for frittering away their wealth. They earned it, they can do what they want with it.
Feel free, however, to blame them for frittering away the culture and country that made it possible. Our generation will certainly be blamed for maintaining trajectory right into the side of the fucking mountain.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Imo, don't blame the boomers for frittering away their wealth. They earned it, they can do what they want with it.
Feel free, however, to blame them for frittering away the culture and country that made it possible. Our generation will certainly be blamed for maintaining trajectory right into the side of the fucking mountain.
How much of it was their wealth though? How much money was borrowed personally and taken from the next 5+ generations to pay for it?

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
For any Robocop fans, I suggest giving Rogue City a go. Pretty fun game that captures the Robocop feel very well. Having Weller return to do all the voice acting was great. I will say it probably wouldn't be worth it if you don't have any nostalgia/love for Robocop though.

• 3Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How much of it was their wealth though? How much money was borrowed personally and taken from the next 5+ generations to pay for it?
Well sure, that feels more political/cultural to me though. Whatever though, I guess my point was that the financial issues are almost meaningless compared to the ushering in of clownworld.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
For any Robocop fans, I suggest giving Rogue City a go. Pretty fun game that captures the Robocop feel very well. Having Weller return to do all the voice acting was great. I will say it probably wouldn't be worth it if you don't have any nostalgia/love for Robocop though.
This post was so jarring and on topic I thought I was in the wrong thread.

• 6Worf
  • 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

It was made by the Terminator Resistance people, and they did a fantastic job with both games. TR is basically a sequel to the first two Terminator movies and RRC is basically a sequel to the first Robocop. So they set their games at just the right points in time. I liked TR more due to having cooler weapons (lasers, etc) but RRC has the iconic auto-pistol.

You wanna hear some real talk about racial harmony, ask any dude that’s been to real prison. My dad still has a couple black friends, but boy is he anti immigration and very much in-group oriented.

So being in prison makes you in-group oriented? Not surprised. Sounds like everyone breaks off into groups along racial lines.

• 3Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Why do they owe you "generational assets" I dont understand where this line of thinking comes from? They worked their asses off to retire and now have to live like bums so they can hand a pile of cash and assets to their offspring? Like WTF?

There is plenty of opportunity to be had. Except these younger generations think they will just go to college, being dumb as fuck in the first place, come out with some bullshit degree, and make $100K+ a year. All those real opportunities are some how beneath them.

I got nothing handed to me. Worked my way through college, got a REAL engineering degree, worked as a co/op student at an engineering shop for peanuts for years, although thy did pay for my classes. Bought my first house by 23.

My kid got recruited right out of a high school vocational class to do HVAC right when he graduated. But you know, who the fuck wants to do that type of shit, right? Better off getting an art degree and then wonder and be mad at the fucking world when youre flipping burgers to pay off them student loans.
There is opportunity all over the place, and the only people who say otherwise are too lazy to go out and get it. Further, the only people complaining about the cost of college are people who went in with their eyes closed and had no plan. All we ever heard from our teachers in high school was to get good grades, get into a good college, and pick a good degree and do well in it. That formula still works to this day.

The big difference between then and now is that in many places, working a middling job doesn't buy you the American Dream anymore. But then again, no one says you have to stay where houses are expensive. Not a single one of my college friends went back to their home towns; we all went where the opportunity was. There's still opportunity, but it requires getting out of your comfort zone to get it. You know, just like always.

Generational assets...is fine if the kids take care of parents in their old age, but that should be part of being a decent human instead of hoping for a payday. My siblings didn't lift a finger for the 4 years my dad was needing care. They sure had plenty of free time, but offered none. They were first in line for payola when he died, and were surprised there was nothing for them. I suspect there are a lot of lonely old folk who have children that do fuck all to help them, and will only show up when it is time to collect some cash.

• 1Solidarity

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
One argument I heard about that recently. It's that the Silent and Greatest generations that survived the hardship period of the Great Depression all had it ingrained in them to pull yourself by your bootstraps. That nobody is coming to help you and you need to work hard as you can to survive. Also to save every single penny you could because there may be a time when shit is fucked and you need it.

They taught this to their children in the Boomer generation. Yet they maintain this perspective even though they were born into the most prosperous period in the history of human civilization. In the most advantageous nation on Earth. Which warped their perspective on everything else as they never had to endure any period of hardship. Comparatively. Vietnam was a drop in the bucket but still completely overturned the institution of Civic Duty forever. Along with discarding centuries worth of traditional values in the Counter Culture.

My observations aren't that the boot strapping men who understood hardships from the great depression and world wars taught boot strapping to their sons, so much as they felt their hard work paid off such that they permanently changed the world for so much good they taught their sons to just sit back and enjoy the bounty.

Boomers then taught their sons that you just sorta had to exist and you'll be happy and fortunate, because to teach them otherwise was a disrespect to their existence and what their fathers gave them that allowed them to simply exist and thrive in a post world war world.

Then reality hits gen x, and instead of acknowledging failings, their boomer fathers are just confused and ignorant, and grandfathers won't accept blame because they fought so hard so musta been the whippersnappers that squandered utopia.

Boomers aren't really even greedily holding onto wealth because they were taught boot strapping. They're just ignorant and don't understand why the world doesn't still give out pensions on top of retirements on top of social security etc.

That's all wealth related. The decay of society is similarly patched, just involving the daughters and granddaughters.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not sure where this should go, since there probably isn't enough interest for it's own thread, but I think there are some Daggerfall fans around here (I'm more partial to Morrowind). It's free, since Daggerfall DOS is free:
2024-01-01 21.32.17 www.dfworkshop.net dcf2c9222e96.png

• 5Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

The hippie movement definitely undermined a lot of American values bc the ones that didn't burn out went on to become professors.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

A big unearned payday rarely makes someone "successful". If they're lazy, broke, and bad with money before you die, then they'll be lazy, broke, and bad with money after you die.

Just like lottery winners going broke because they won by people who think blowing money on the lottery is a good idea.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
A big unearned payday rarely makes someone "successful". If they're lazy, broke, and bad with money before you die, then they'll be lazy, broke, and bad with money after you die.

Just like lottery winners going broke because they won by people who think blowing money on the lottery is a good idea.

We're talking about different things here. I'm not saying that dropping $5M on your estranged grandkids when they turn 21 is a good idea. As Warren Buffet says, you set them up enough to do anything, but not so much that they can do nothing. One obvious example is education. Starting adult life debt free with a valuable intellectual skill set is a massive step ahead but one that still forces them to apply themselves. If you do leave financial assets, a major corollary to this is raising them in such a way not to be slothful and lazy, and treating the stewardship of their advantages as a real responsibility. You've fucked up in more important ways than money if your kids spend an inheritance on hookers and blow.

Last edited: