General Gaming News and Discussion

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I mean, the guy isn't wrong. Unless you are buying physical copies of games, you don't really own them. Like, if Steam shuts down for some reason, all your games are gone. Most have already abandoned music in CD's and movies on DVD. If those services you bought them on end, they are gone.

Yes, but this is a bridge even farther where you lose your game if you stop paying them in perpetuity.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
He specifically points out gaming subscription services. Where you are paying a monthly sub.
Which I would pay for a MMO I continuously enjoyed.

Not so I can play an otherwise single player game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yes, but this is a bridge even farther where you lose your game if you stop paying them in perpetuity.
I mean it's called renting? It's not like they're talking about selling full game prices here, they're basically selling you a rental version for a small price point. It isn't too different from Gamepass, other than like the price is gonna be a lot shittier. But gamepass works the same, you don't own any of the games you play when you pay for Gamepass, and if you stop paying you can't play any of the games.

I think as an option it's fine, renting was big in the 90s and shit, most people didn't buy VHS of movies and you could rent a game for a weekend, beat it then take it back for a much smaller part of the price. This just removes the physical medium. The idea is fine in itself, obviously I'm sure Ubisoft will manage to greedily fuck it all up but that's nothing new.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

you don't own any of the games you play when you pay for Gamepass, and if you stop paying you can't play any of the games.

Which is why I don't do gamepass. There's an economic argument in favor if your game consumption rate matches up well against the price, but I don't like it on principle.

I think as an option it's fine

0% chance he's thinking of this as an option while still running a traditional sales model in parallel. He wants $20/mo perpetually for access to the Ubisoft library, and that's the only way.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Which I would pay for a MMO I continuously enjoyed.

Not so I can play an otherwise single player game.
He is talking about shit like game pass and other game subscription services. Ubisoft is one of the few that still sells physical games.

Last time I went to Best Buy there was shit for physical PC titles. Steam did more to sucker us into this method of game buying than Ubisoft. The PC/Xbox Game Pass was the next evolution. I am sure there are a lot of gamers that see paying a monthly sub, for access to a bunch of games, over buying a 60 dollar game a better deal. We are just on the older end of gamers who still remember the joy of having boxes of games in our collections. It is why retro gaming has been such a big deal in the last few years.

Captain Suave

I don't care about physical boxes, I just want a permanent license. If I actually think I want to play the game in the future I can always keep a local copy of the data.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Get comfortable not owning your games bitches.

It's a good thing AAA gaming has made all of about 5 games I have ever cared about! I can easily do without Ubisoft and their ilk.

Hopefully indi gaming will keep on keeping on...

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't care about physical boxes, I just want a permanent license. If I actually think I want to play the game in the future I can always keep a local copy of the data.
You have a perpetual license but woops you can't connect to our required network service to launch oh well.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

You have a perpetual license but woops you can't connect to our required network service to launch oh well.
Avast, me hearties! Also, don't support games with this kind of stupid requirement. If the play experience legitimately requires a server, then fine and you know what you're getting into in advance.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I mean, the guy isn't wrong. Unless you are buying physical copies of games, you don't really own them. Like, if Steam shuts down for some reason, all your games are gone. Most have already abandoned music in CD's and movies on DVD. If those services you bought them on end, they are gone.
Steam has a SHTF plan where you can get physical copies to install your games from them.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Going to be even funnier when your piece of shit EV cars suddenly stop working because you didn’t pay some monthly sub and they can all be turned off remotely.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Going to be even funnier when your piece of shit EV cars suddenly stop working because you didn’t pay some monthly sub and they can all be turned off remotely.
That's not going to be exclusive to EVs.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
2024: no way they wouldn't do that
2025: ok they do that but it's only for weird exceptions
2026: sure they do that but only to people who deserve it
2027: if you can't afford heated seats subscriptions don't buy a car that requires it
2028: can't help it that's just the law

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I lost interest in non physical games after Nintendo and Sony closed somes of theirs shops and I lost all the games I bought. I get the physical versions of the games as much as I can.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Steam has a SHTF plan where you can get physical copies to install your games from them.
I see no such policy.

Even if they did. If Steam shuts down, do you really think they would send you physical copies of your games? Considering we just buy licenses to play the games on Steam and don't actually own them.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I see no such policy.

Even if they did. If Steam shuts down, do you really think they would send you physical copies of your games? Considering we just buy licenses to play the games on Steam and don't actually own them.
They've talked about it extensively. The plan was for you do be able to download the .iso files and burn them yourselves.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol yall got hoodwinked by gaming "journalists" and never once thought to question if you were being presented something honestly. Despite the attempt of both IGN and the original interview source to frame it as the big bad evil Ubisoft here to trample over your gaming rights a few more times when in actuality it's just the dude describing why the growth of subscription services like Gamepass and Ubisoft+ has been sluggish and objectively stating what would need to change for sub services to really take off. It's being falsely framed as some diabolical statement from the Ubisoft exec when it's actually more of a 'thank you Captain Obvious', when people get more comfortable with sub services, sub services will do better!