General Gaming News and Discussion

gauze

Molten Core Raider
If there was any ounce of hope for the battleroyale, and just battlefield to be good again, Zampella(cod, titanfall, apex) was handed the reigns during active development for 2042 after its horrendous launch.

Could absolutely still be dog shit.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I have no faith in any AAA studio putting out good and fun games again. They've become corporate and those kinds of companies drive out all the fun with metrics and extremely rigid systems and rules such as 5S. They're also filled to the brim with activists which suck enjoyment out of anything they touch.

Helldivers 2 and Last Epoch feel like games from an Era that doesn't exist anymore, where fun was the number one goal. AAA companies are about profit and addictive gameplay loops and people are starting to get a taste of how good it used to be and for the younger generation they've never experienced anything like it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not really news but why do gamers post a pic they took of the screen insead of a screenshot? Looks like shit, young and married to the phone and that's all they know?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
Not really news but why do gamers post a pic they took of the screen insead of a screenshot? Looks like shit, young and married to the phone and that's all they know?
It's because they're retarded. I mean that literally.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Been having this discussion a lot in tech circles. People under 24 don't seem to know shit about computers. Baby gen x/elder millennials will be cursed with supporting tech for both their kids and parents for the rest of their lives.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The main culprit identified appears to be when Windows started trying to obscure where your files are stored as much as possible, and mobile devices don't have real file managers by default.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been having this discussion a lot in tech circles. People under 24 don't seem to know shit about computers. Baby gen x/elder millennials will be cursed with supporting tech for both their kids and parents for the rest of their lives.
My youngest cousin, shes 11? I think? She's in front of a fucking tablet or her phone all the time. The whole family is at my house and she wanted to watch something on Netflix and I told her shes welcome to go watch it downstairs. Its (now) a mediocre PC hooked up to two TV's with a wireless kb/mouse. All she had to do was click the netflix app - thats it. She couldnt figure that out on her own. I was using a Commodore 64 when I was like 3? 4? How did kids not gain anything from all that tablet use?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My youngest cousin, shes 11? I think? She's in front of a fucking tablet or her phone all the time. The whole family is at my house and she wanted to watch something on Netflix and I told her shes welcome to go watch it downstairs. Its (now) a mediocre PC hooked up to two TV's with a wireless kb/mouse. All she had to do was click the netflix app - thats it. She couldnt figure that out on her own. I was using a Commodore 64 when I was like 3? 4? How did kids not gain anything from all that tablet use?
Too many abstraction layers.

Or too stupid.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I grew up on a commodore as well and they were easy to pick up. However I had to be taught how to use it and babies can literally use tablets without help, they’re extremely intuitive.

I’m sure once you took the time to show her how to use the computer she picked it up easily. No one in the house took the time is all.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
It's because children aren't encouraged to figure things out on their own anymore and because of that they have an unnecessary anxiety and fear of failure. They aren't used to not being able to solve a problem to the point that when they are facing any type of adversity they will just shut down instead of facing it head on with some degree of confidence that they can figure it out. This plays a role in critical thinking, problem solving, general curiosity about the world, etc. You have to spend much more time with them to cultivate and develop these skills because they are no long taught in public schools, or at least to the degree that they were taught to us when we were children 30 years ago.

spronk

FPS noob
rumors of this game only surfaced a few days ago, i guess jabba giveth and jabba taketh

too bad i wanted to play as baby yoda and chase frogs

• 1Rustled
  • 1WTF

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's because children aren't encouraged to figure things out on their own anymore and because of that they have an unnecessary anxiety and fear of failure. They aren't used to not being able to solve a problem to the point that when they are facing any type of adversity they will just shut down instead of facing it head on with some degree of confidence that they can figure it out. This plays a role in critical thinking, problem solving, general curiosity about the world, etc. You have to spend much more time with them to cultivate and develop these skills because they are no long taught in public schools, or at least to the degree that they were taught to us when we were children 30 years ago.
Na, I don't think that's it. Kids weren't encouraged to do that kinda of experimentation in the early PC era either, mainly because they were so expensive. I remember when finally got a PC and my parents threatened the shit out of me not to take it apart or do anything to it (like uninstall Windows 3.11 because it took up space and sucked for games anyway) under extreme threats of punishment. Did it anyway, despite getting punished for months at a time, having it locked away, etc.

It took them about two years or so to understand yes, that's the whole point of a Personal Computer.

It's more about the amount of obfuscation and tamper-proofing in modern OSes that prevents kids from seeing that there's anything interesting 'inside the box' for them to play with.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This plays a role in critical thinking, problem solving, general curiosity about the world, etc. You have to spend much more time with them to cultivate and develop these skills because they are no long taught in public schools, or at least to the degree that they were taught to us when we were children 30 years ago.
Part of critical thinking is questioning authority, which nether the political nor religious leaders (back when they had more power) would want, so it has never been taught in K-12 in the US. It was left to the colleges to teach and, more so now (probably, depending on the institution), but even in the past it is only emphasized in certain classes or degree paths.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
After a single season of a successful TV show using his story, he is now a big time Hollywood writer slumming it in the video game industry!
Except hollywood is even deader than gaming.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users