General Gaming News and Discussion

velk

Trakanon Raider
Game on one monitor, browser/email/media/work on the other.

Windowed modes for a lot of games are also either non-existent or poor as well. Having a full monitor so the game can use 'full screen' with everything else on a different monitor has far fewer problems. Not to mention stuff like HDR which has to be on for the whole thing not just a window etc.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

I can't find any source for those numbers.

That "windowed mode", "borderless window" etc, exist and is in every game. on some level, they ARE integrating multi-monitor via that. but the games themselves, are not using secondary screens or windows.
And that very vid card comes with 4 video ports I'm inclined to think the average is way higher then 25%.

Ultra wide I think is typically more expensive then 2 monitors?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I thought Ultrawides had issues with a lot of older or indie games, so I have never even looked at them. I also don't feel like they would add enough value to the 4x, RTS, and wRPG games I play.

On the other hand, I cant live without a second monitor for having, at a minimum, a browser/YouTube and/or a music player running.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I also don't feel like they would add enough value to the 4x, RTS, and wRPG games I play.

They don't. Matter fact I'd say in 4x and RTS games the fact you have to scroll the extra width of the screen to move around the map is a PITA/detriment.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So the question becomes how much do you want to invest in resources to provide something only about 25% of your players are going to use?
I was going to type something out about trannies & bathrooms, women in submarines and sign language interpreters, but you get the idea.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I was going to type something out about trannies & bathrooms, women in submarines and sign language interpreters, but you get the idea.

I would say something along the line of - companies are in the business of making money, government is in the habit of burning it.

Everything you stated would not exist or be sparse if it wasn't for government rules and regulations.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I would say something along the line of - companies are in the business of making money, government is in the habit of burning it.

Everything you stated would not exist or be sparse if it wasn't for government rules and regulations.
Companies were** in the business of making money. Now they cater to the minority, to the detriment of their majority, core audience.

6c4fcbc1-e37a-4d58-9565-5d4466804815-220919609.jpeg

Triple-monitor master race, checking in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Well, not every business caters to the minority. Certainly none of mine.

But I can definitely see your point, especially those companies that have a DEI division.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also consider, WiiU had a mandatory 2nd screen. How many games were actually improved by it?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Also consider, WiiU had a mandatory 2nd screen. How many games were actually improved by it?
The DS had some cool two screen things going on but those were two screens that were so close together. Having one screen on a controller and one on a TV seems stupid/hard to use.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I changed my mind. I'll put up with single monitor support for the rest of my life if the entire game industry agrees to solve inventory management hell.

I know Mist Mist is with me. Who else?!

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
The only thing I remember using 2 screens was when The Division was first announced, and they had the interesting idea of someone using their laptop/ipad and controlling like a drone that could mark targets for their teammates. I think they even did a demo with it, someone was playing either a PC or console, and someone else was on an iPad I believe.

For whatever reason, they scratched it and it never made it into the final product.

• 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The DS had some cool two screen things going on but those were two screens that were so close together. Having one screen on a controller and one on a TV seems stupid/hard to use.
I didn't really play much DS. Did the games actually benefit from 2 screens in a way that wouldn't have been just as good on a single, bigger screen? (other than the folding)

edit: Not to say that there aren't good uses for other screens. In the EQ days, MQ2 was great to have on a separate screen, as were multiboxed characters. And to bring apps into the mix, I remember wishing they would make a standalone chat app so I could have guildchat on other devices (I think we actually got this to work in AIM or something for a while, my brain is oddly fuzzy on the details though).

Last edited:

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Most games on the DS used the 2nd screen as a map/inventory screen. Contra 4 is the only one off the top of my head that I can recall actually using both, and that was only for half of the stages.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If we're talking dream interfaces, what I'd really like to do is have a large 4K monitor, only render the ultrawide aspect ratio in the middle, and then place as many UI elements outside of the render window into the black space as possible.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
DS was good for games like Castlevania or Metroid where having a perma map up helped a lot

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If we're talking dream interfaces, what I'd really like to do is have a large 4K monitor, only render the ultrawide aspect ratio in the middle, and then place as many UI elements outside of the render window into the black space as possible.
Now we’re talkin.

IMG_3123.jpeg

• 10Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 12 users