General Gaming News and Discussion

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Literally the learn to code meme? Don't like the direction society is going, just learn to code, bigot! If you can personally avoid some if the annoyance than the problem is solved and you don't have to care anymore.

Nihilism is a helluva drug.

So, what are we supposed to do, exactly? Other than not buying TVs, which is just avoiding the problem, or bypassing the UI, which is just avoiding the problem, or ad blocking, which is avoiding the problem. Is there anything actionable I can do that will work forwards solving the problem?

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Learn how to make your own panels and chips! :emoji_laughing:

Seriously though, lets make a fab! Fires fab. We build chips and panels and dram for people from their own designs. Stuff with no fed back doors or assgoblinry!

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So, what are we supposed to do, exactly? Other than not buying TVs, which is just avoiding the problem, or bypassing the UI, which is just avoiding the problem, or ad blocking, which is avoiding the problem. Is there anything actionable I can do that will work forwards solving the problem?
Cry like a bitch on defunct gaming forums, duh.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Unicorn Overlord is only like a month old and down to 40 bucks already. A lot of people were saying its a great game. Any reason for that?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Already answered if you care to go back some. Basically, educate, understand, discuss. Participate in the social aspects of society, not just hide away rationalizing and justifying things to appease ones personal comfort in the face of a society that creates cognitive dissonance as a byproduct or just as often as intentionally.

Like, I know soda is beetus juice and bad. I choose to drink it in moderation. I don't rationalize that it's okay I do to make myself feel better. And when people say it's bad I agree, and explain I've made a choice to accept the risks. I don't argue they're wrong or call them names because I feel guilty. If they say I'm a hypocrite I don't call them a retard, because they're right enough, but I've made a conscious choice and can live with it and explain why I choose to.

Most people seem to want to play both sides of a grey issue. Be able to pat themselves on the back for calling out the bad, but then absolved of any guilt or responsibilities by rationalizing away their role in it. So they certainly don't want to discuss it, and even other people discussing it is a risk to them being found out being lesser. So, they take pride in willful ignorance where they're both the stooge and the hero above it all.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Unicorn Overlord is only like a month old and down to 40 bucks already. A lot of people were saying its a great game. Any reason for that?
Still seems to be 60 on the PSN and Switch websites as far as I can tell? Seems early to drop it especially since their sales didn't do poorly presumably(they sold out the physical editions in Japan in less than a week, although they probably didn't make that many either but still they likely made an amount relative to their expected total sales). If it is then worth buying anyway. If it was on PC I'd have bought it, but for now waiting for a sale to buy it later.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Already answered if you care to go back some. Basically, educate, understand, discuss. Participate in the social aspects of society, not just hide away rationalizing and justifying things to appease ones personal comfort in the face of a society that creates cognitive dissonance as a byproduct or just as often as intentionally.

Like, I know soda is beetus juice and bad. I choose to drink it in moderation. I don't rationalize that it's okay I do to make myself feel better. And when people say it's bad I agree, and explain I've made a choice to accept the risks. I don't argue they're wrong or call them names because I feel guilty. If they say I'm a hypocrite I don't call them a retard, because they're right enough, but I've made a conscious choice and can live with it and explain why I choose to.

Most people seem to want to play both sides of a grey issue. Be able to pat themselves on the back for calling out the bad, but then absolved of any guilt or responsibilities by rationalizing away their role in it. So they certainly don't want to discuss it, and even other people discussing it is a risk to them being found out being lesser. So, they take pride in willful ignorance where they're both the stooge and the hero above it all.

I'm curious as to who's guilty of this in this thread. We're currently discussing it. People are educating others on ways to combat it for themselves and their family. I don't really see anyone telling others to just suck the dick and deal with it. I'm not sure who in particular you're railing and preaching against here, because I'm pretty sure we're all on the same page that this shit is aids, individually we don't particularly have much power to do anything about it except to bitch about it when it happens, avoiding giving money best we can to who's doing it, and continue to put up as many roadblocks as we can personally to keep ourselves protected.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Still seems to be 60 on the PSN and Switch websites as far as I can tell? Seems early to drop it especially since their sales didn't do poorly presumably(they sold out the physical editions in Japan in less than a week, although they probably didn't make that many either but still they likely made an amount relative to their expected total sales). If it is then worth buying anyway. If it was on PC I'd have bought it, but for now waiting for a sale to buy it later.

The Switch/PS5/Xbox physical are all on sale for $39.99 at multiple retailers. (Walmart, GameStop, Amazon, BestBuy) - Unicorn Overlord | Deku Deals

I was wondering why the sudden price drop since it only came out a month ago. Maybe they're trying to clear them out and lean on the digital ones afterwards.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm curious as to who's guilty of this in this thread. We're currently discussing it. People are educating others on ways to combat it for themselves and their family. I don't really see anyone telling others to just suck the dick and deal with it. I'm not sure who in particular you're railing and preaching against here, because I'm pretty sure we're all on the same page that this shit is aids, individually we don't particularly have much power to do anything about it except to bitch about it when it happens, avoiding giving money best we can to who's doing it, and continue to put up as many roadblocks as we can personally to keep ourselves protected.

I'm not railing or preaching against anyone. The problem is the discussion of the symptom or individual behavior doesn't address the core problem. But discussion of the core problem causes dissonance, perhaps, and that discussion then starts to be how that person is railing on others or preaching.

Bitch about invasive tech and every slaps each other on the back agreeing it's bullshit and tisses out "solutions" to a problem that can't be solved. One such solution was to ignore it and just go straight to a stream box or other input. That only avoids the core problem, especially considering the spark of this discussion was Roku (meaning all of them) planning to highjack inputs to advertise.

So, discuss the broader, root causes, and people don't want to have that discussion. Probably be ausr it's not so easily solved. Not like pretending avoidance and ignorance feels like a solution.

The problem of this issue and most these days is they're expanding into everything. It's not a hundred isolated invasive practices to be solved by putting out the latest fire. It's a broad, core issue that is hard to tackle and difficult to even understand.

So, the reaction, over and over, are these core problems are pushed into other areas of society and the forums is a fairly predictable path, from it's not happening to only on the internet to just ignore it etc.

And when some asshole like me will discuss the individual, personal solutions as not having solved or really even accomplished anything and offers to discuss the broader, more difficult issues, well that sorta spoils the party were people were feeling good that somehow learning to set up a third party as block was actually addressing the invasive creep of technology. And instead of discussing it, just call the person willing to discuss the uncomfortable larger issue names and go back to feeling good about things personally in a situation that shouldn't create that feeling.

It's very common in boomers. Things aren't happening, but it'll be fine that they are happening because "I'll be dead before it fully happens" but protect yourselves because it is happening, but I'm too old to fight and it's not so bad but it is. It's a weird cope to societal dissonance, but perhaps common in old people feeling helpless and/or useless. It's more interesting watching it happen in younger generations, though.

Just kidding. Post is too long to take seriously, so I'm probably just trolling for personal gratification.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The Switch/PS5/Xbox physical are all on sale for $39.99 at multiple retailers. (Walmart, GameStop, Amazon, BestBuy) - Unicorn Overlord | Deku Deals

I was wondering why the sudden price drop since it only came out a month ago. Maybe they're trying to clear them out and lean on the digital ones afterwards.
Oh physical, yeah probably just trying to clear out the stocks quickly.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There probably isn't one (other than maybe an uncle Ted cabin). Some of the practical issues can probably be avoided by going with commercial versions of stuff though. My roku rage googling reminded me that there are digital signage screens that probably more like tv sized monitors. Not sure how picture quality and cost compares, but I'll definitely be checking into it the next time I buy a tv (and probably all of my appliances too). Some things are probably just hosed regardless though, at least unless you're content with using 10+ year old (and counting) versions of things (cars, software/os, etc.) Some of that is fine, my MS Office doesn't fucking need an upgrade. Doesn't work as well for other things though.
Digital Signage displays are categorized as "professional equipment", so they overcharge you since you're supposed to write that off as a business expense. Expect four-digit costs for a mere 30" 4K.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cant wait to see how they make the dragons straight and the handicap whole.

Not that any player is going to wholeheartedly take the game serious anymore. Not with a looming threat that they might lose access again.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
dead space 2 remake cancelled due to poor sales of DS1

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Fuck remakes and remasters.

• 1Solidarity