General Gaming News and Discussion

spronk

FPS noob

think we're gonna see a lot of these DEI studios "we're making games for gaymers" shut down this year

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Letter from the CEO to employees regarding the closure. Employee leaked all private financials, partner info to Kotaku. That is one article I will definitely read:

Edit: Looks like there's a bunch of studios bundled together under one parent company, and this is just the latest subsidiary to go down. The first one was from a few weeks back.

This company's leaders are doing a great job of making me want to read the article.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So someone at the company had a grievance and decided that the best course of action was to leak every bit of internal info they could get their hands on? Yeah, that sounds like exactly what I'd expect to happen at a company that prioritized DEI above all else. Funny that Austin Walker (ex-games journo for various sites with the same sort of agenda-pushing that Kotaku does) worked there and had a job title that sounds like he'd have access to that kind of data....

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
think we're gonna see a lot of these DEI studios "we're making games for gaymers" shut down this year
i think we're going to see a lot of studios close due to larger market trends (we already have) and anytime one of them shows even the faintest hint of diversity in content or composition, it's going to trigger confirmation bias and cause NPCs to shout DEI because their lizard brains can only think in three syllables

• 7NPC
  • 2Potato
  • 1Picard

joz123

Potato del Grande
i think we're going to see a lot of studios close due to larger market trends (we already have) and anytime one of them shows even the faintest hint of diversity in content or composition, it's going to trigger confirmation bias and cause NPCs to shout DEI because their lizard brains can only think in three syllables
Face Palm GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I couldn’t name a single game produced from any of the developers mentioned in the past few posts, my guess is most of us couldn’t.

So basically just start up and investor money flushed down the toilet, but to be fair, if you gave money to these companies expecting to generate a profit, you deserve to go broke. Can’t imagine how anyone rational could consider a game company designed to give women a safe space as their priority is a sound investment.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I couldn’t name a single game produced from any of the developers mentioned in the past few posts, my guess is most of us couldn’t.

So basically just start up and investor money flushed down the toilet, but to be fair, if you gave money to these companies expecting to generate a profit, you deserve to go broke. Can’t imagine how anyone rational could consider a game company designed to give women a safe space as their priority is a sound investment.
Had to google it, makes sense since that company didn't make any games, they were somewhat recently made and hadn't released anything yet. The guy in those twitter posts and stuff apparently worked at a bunch of bigger things and notably co-founded ArenaNet(who made Guild Wars) and worked for Blizzard during Diablo/SC/WoW days. But yeah that's kinda a bunch of nothing story, new company that ran out of money had to close, happens all the time.

Goonsquad Officer
It'll cause me to not buy the product if I see a hint of dei, woke shit, or commie bullshit. So good. Let them burn

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Caliane

Letter from the CEO to employees regarding the closure. Employee leaked all private financials, partner info to Kotaku. That is one article I will definitely read:

Edit: Looks like there's a bunch of studios bundled together under one parent company, and this is just the latest subsidiary to go down. The first one was from a few weeks back.

This company's leaders are doing a great job of making me want to read the article.
women don't belong in the workplace.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 4 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So people are starting to believe that DEI causes companies to fail?
Plotting The Simpsons GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
DEI cultists: We want to enact shitty policies and do stupid shit that will make our products and services objectively much worse! And we are explicitly telling you all that we want to do this!

Products/Services: get much worse

Mist: It definitely wasn't the DEI you lizard brain NPCs!

Just mist things

• 10Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
DEI cultists: We want to enact shitty policies and do stupid shit that will make our products and services objectively much worse! And we are explicitly telling you all that we want to do this!

Products/Services: get much worse

Mist: It definitely wasn't the DEI you lizard brain NPCs!

Just mist things
Stfu and finish your game fgt

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Stfu and finish your game fgt

Now this is the kind of encouragement I actually need. I haven't made as much progress as I'd have wanted or expected, and I attribute it to many things, but one is a lack of external accountability (apparently I still like to waste time doing bullshit despite very much wanting to make a game).

It's coming along though. The skeleton of the game is about 70% done, need to wrap up some inventory/menu type shit (god I hate coding UI), and then work on the battle loop. I have a narrative arc for the whole game, and a detailed outline of the first couple of chapters. Biggest holes are still music/sound and art, but I do have a guy I'm talking to who say he's interested in doing the art, but seems not to have much time to devote to it. My best friend is going to take a stab at the sound/music.

For the past 3-4 months or so, at least once a day, I have thought to myself: "this would go 10x faster if I had a clone of myself to partner with."