Genetic Testing & Family Tree Search Engines

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Uncertain? This is super illegal. Doesn't meant they aren't trying, but it's 100% illegal already.

Sorry that was phrased very badly. Yes, it's currently against HIPAA/GINA With enough regulatory capture that might not always be true.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sorry that was phrased very badly. Yes, it's currently against HIPAA/GINA With enough regulatory capture that might not always be true.
That's not exactly what regulatory capture means, but I'll allow it.

• 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 user

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
Took a 23andme test a year or two ago. Someone had given it to my elderly MiL and she refused to take the test, so I took it instead. ('They' already know everything about me at this point so why the fuck not. I'm old enough to not give a shit.) It was very eye-opening.

We had been told by my grandfather that, on my father's side of the family, we were half Scottish and half German. (Mother's side is all Pollack.) 23andme test: 0% German, 1% Scottish. Turns out we're mutts with a good chunk of English, some Irish, and for some reason part Baltic and a bit more Polish. Our best guess is someone at some distant point moved from the Baltics/east Poland to Germany and just said, "OK, we're Germans now" and that lore got passed down. Our best guess on the Scottish bit being wrong is that my bullshitting grandfather had no clue and may have just completely made that all up.

Told my sister about the test results and she just sat there with a stunned "My whole life is lie" look. We're not sure what to think at this point and everyone from the older generations is long dead, so there's no one to get more info from. Like I said, very eye-opening.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Took a 23andme test a year or two ago. Someone had given it to my elderly MiL and she refused to take the test, so I took it instead. ('They' already know everything about me at this point so why the fuck not. I'm old enough to not give a shit.) It was very eye-opening.

We had been told by my grandfather that, on my father's side of the family, we were half Scottish and half German. (Mother's side is all Pollack.) 23andme test: 0% German, 1% Scottish. Turns out we're mutts with a good chunk of English, some Irish, and for some reason part Baltic and a bit more Polish. Our best guess is someone at some distant point moved from the Baltics/east Poland to Germany and just said, "OK, we're Germans now" and that lore got passed down. Our best guess on the Scottish bit being wrong is that my bullshitting grandfather had no clue and may have just completely made that all up.

Told my sister about the test results and she just sat there with a stunned "My whole life is lie" look. We're not sure what to think at this point and everyone from the older generations is long dead, so there's no one to get more info from. Like I said, very eye-opening.
Dig them up and slap them

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

My grandparent told me where they grew up in the midwest, the European nation your family came from mattered and it mostly revolved around the Protestant churches. The English/Scotts had one church/cliché, the Poles had a separate one, and the Germans another. Even the Catholics had multiple churches, with the Irish mainly going to one and the Italians going to another. That was all in small and medium towns, where there was still some intermingling. The big cities were of course known for being very segregated.

The rich and powerful, in the early 1900s were also more likely to go to an Anglican church, so converting or telling people you are a Scot was in a families best financial interests. Still today, the Anglicans have the richest average congregation in the US (well, as of 10+ years ago, when Freakonomics was big).

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My grandparent told me where they grew up in the midwest, the European nation your family came from mattered and it mostly revolved around the Protestant churches. The English/Scotts had one church/cliché, the Poles had a separate one, and the Germans another. Even the Catholics had multiple churches, with the Irish mainly going to one and the Italians going to another. That was all in small and medium towns, where there was still some intermingling. The big cities were of course known for being very segregated.

The rich and powerful, in the early 1900s were also more likely to go to an Anglican church, so converting or telling people you are a Scot was in a families best financial interests. Still today, the Anglicans have the richest average congregation in the US (well, as of 10+ years ago, when Freakonomics was big).

This was true in New England when I was growing up, too.

My great-grandfather was the Episcopal presiding bishop of the US and my grandfather was also a bishop, so I got a lot of church exposure as a kid. While the chuch was progressive in terms of policy and welcoming to new members the congregations were ~99% old-school psuedo-aristocratic families with UK roots.