Silver Baronet of the Realm
1637375444862.png

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You made up the ridiculous argument, how about you defend that instead of making shit up and demanding someone prove how its wrong.

I also provided a link to why opinion would be a defense, examples of it being used and an expert who I assume we all respected given his stance on Kyle's case until now. Your turn. I'm very curious in your thinking. Why would a celebrity posting on twitter be considered a statement of fact rather than an opinion?

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Imma hit up the Culver’s in West Point, UT in a few mins if any shitposters want to join
Their food is so hit and miss with me. I swear sometimes you get old food that's been laying in there for half an hour, other times it's amazing and rivals Whataburger.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

If you're pulling your kids out of school over the rittenhouse trial you're a fucking idiot.

Have them watch 12 angry men on a saturday to teach them everything they need to know how this shit should work.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you're pulling your kids out of school over the rittenhouse trial you're a fucking idiot.

Have them watch 12 angry men on a saturday to teach them everything they need to know how this shit should work.

Been a while since I've seen it but those dudes totally go off and do their own independent research during deliberations

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I also provided a link to why opinion would be a defense, examples of it being used and an expert who I assume we all respected given his stance on Kyle's case until now. Your turn. I'm very curious in your thinking. Why would a celebrity posting on twitter be considered a statement of fact rather than an opinion?

Elements​

To prove prima facie defamation, a plaintiff must show four things: 1) a false statement purporting to be fact; 2) publication or communication of that statement to a third person; 3) fault amounting to at least negligence; and 4) damages, or some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

You are a pedophile. False statement purporting to be fact. (I'm assuming you aren't really a pedophile)

If my statements caused harm, then I have defamed you. Doesn't matter who I am, who I work for, or really even how I phrase it. Intent, negligence, scope matter, nothing else.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Elements​

To prove prima facie defamation, a plaintiff must show four things: 1) a false statement purporting to be fact; 2) publication or communication of that statement to a third person; 3) fault amounting to at least negligence; and 4) damages, or some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

You are a pedophile. False statement purporting to be fact. (I'm assuming you aren't really a pedophile)

If my statements caused harm, then I have defamed you. Doesn't matter who I am, who I work for, or really even how I phrase it. Intent, negligence, scope matter, nothing else.

You calling me a pedophile isn't a statement of fact. You haven't even tried to show its true in any fashion. You haven't even presented it as fact, why would random joe juror consider it one?

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
You calling me a pedophile isn't a statement of fact. It would be considered as an opinion seeing as you haven't linked anything to support it. You haven't even presented it as fact.
What if you were on trial for fucking kids?

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What if you were on trial for fucking kids?

Would it even matter? Its still a statement of opinion. If I were on trial, news agencies would have to call me an alleged pedophile but that standard wouldn't carry over to random celeb A on twitter who reasonable people don't view as a news source.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Elements​

damages is easy considering he'll need a security detail for the rest of his life because of media megaphoning lies and propaganda about the situation

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

It would obviously be based on how it's phrased and who the person is. If it's a ditzy reality show "star" or some other celebrity not known for being bright then it would be hard to show damages. Someone known to be knowledgeable and well versed saying the exact same thing could make showing damages much easier.

I think he'd be much better off by going the Sandmann route and going after actual news sources since they're "supposed to be" taken seriously and damage to reputation is almost automatic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.