Get Out (2017)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
After reading threads like this I realize how so many of you thought it was OK to vote for a retard like Trump as President. Sorry you all feel so marginalized for people giving a shit about other people.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'm glad I typically stay in parts of the forum that aren't full of retards. Apparently its too hard to watch a movie without involving politics.

I went into the movie knowing the RT percentage, seeing the trailer, and reading the plot on my movie app. I thought it was great. The camera shots were the best I've seen in a long time. A very good mix of horror and comedy. Peele killed it. It had some faults but overall it was great.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I don't think every white character was bad, there was one that if you really think about it, may not have been.

I think the white cop that asks to see Chris's ID out in white-ville, is potentially not a racist at all. I think it would make a lot of sense for him to be actually on to (or suspicious of) what is happening at the Armitage place and Rose defends Chris so hard to keep him out of the system so there is no trail of him going up there. Black people keep going up there, and none of them leave. The cop is one of the biggest tropes in the movie and kind of sticks out, so it would make sense to me for him to be more than he seems.

Especially since the reason they picked black people is because Grandpa lost to Jessie Owens to make the Olympic team and is basically just jealous of black people's athleticism

That's actually a really good point, I gotta agree with you on that.

The camera shots were the best I've seen in a long time.

The cinematography was fine, but it wasn't exceptional. Aside from the contrasting of ECUs on "weird" characters and normal CU's on Chris (which might not even be original, it could be a horror trope, I don't watch many horror movies), there wasn't really anything groundbreaking or outstanding about the shots; shot composition was very "by-the-book."

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
After reading threads like this I realize how so many of you thought it was OK to vote for a retard like Trump as President. Sorry you all feel so marginalized for people giving a shit about other people.

That's brave posting your political opinions in a movie thread. After seeing the confrontation avoiding whiners everywhere I know now why my nephew gets offered to play with play doh after he might have been traumatized reading Huckleberry fin. I'm sorry you feel so butthurt (Or jealous?) because people still have the balls to discuss uncomfortable issues. But fear not, I'm sure everyone knows you're an amazing, totally non-racist, person because you chose to not talk about what the movie was literally about (Race)...in a thread made to discuss the movie.

Last edited:

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
As far as "politics" goes, I have a hard time recognizing the film as total satire. Obviously there's gross exaggeration due to the fact that EVERY single black character is a good guy and EVERY single non-black character is a bad guy (that's not a spoiler, if you watched the trailer then you already know this) but I don't think it's Peele making fun of SJWs, I think he's trying to convey something along the lines of "The fear Chris experiences at the Armitage estate is a reflection of the fear Black people experience every day in white-dominated society." That's the message that I took from this and it made the first half of the film extremely uncomfortable (the first half is much more dialogue-heavy than the second half). I don't know Peele all that well but I know Keegan Michael-Key always leaned a bit more towards SJWism so I wonder if Peele shared similar opinions.

Definitely disagree with this point lol. It's pretty obvious that:

Rose is absolutely batshit crazy and not really supposed to represent white women. Peele really went out of his way to make her crazier than any other character in the film.

Every black man was literally getting his soul sucked out by a middle age white woman. It wasn't just Rose.

Also, I think it satirizes the whole SJW stuff because the white people specifically represented were so clearly that. "Oh I loved Obama", and the cringe inducing obsequies behavior? You said it yourself, it made the first half uncomfortable. That's partly why, just cringey as fuck yuppies trying to let everyone know they aren't racist (And end up being the biggest racists around.)

The second half of the movie is more about what I think you're alluding to. The fear in a white society. But if that were genuine the movie is kind of dumb, especially if you think about its creator. A black man raised by a white woman, who went on to become very successful millionaire in a white dominated country, and is marrying another white woman.....who makes a movie about how all black people live in fear and get taken down by the man? The whole thing just has this deep hypocrisy to it that I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was satirizing how we view this society (As being laughably more dangerous than it is, kind of trying to say 'this is what society would need to be like in order to have the current hysteria').

If his message in the film was genuine, as you said? Well, its ridiculous, and it illustrate the fairly deep delusions we have in this country about race and racism. Which is actually born out by studies--that racial divides decrease community trust, significantly. So Peele, if what you're saying is true, is ironically pointing out that you literally can NEVER do well enough as a black man, or be close enough to white people, to not be racist yourself and fear white people--you will always be afraid, and always be thinking they hate you because they aren't "your people". (Even if they literally are your people, because you're half white.)

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's brave posting your political opinions in a movie thread. After seeing the confrontation avoiding whiners everywhere I know now why my nephew gets offered to play with play doh after he might have been traumatized reading Huckleberry fin. I'm sorry you feel so butthurt (Or jealous?) because people still have the balls to discuss uncomfortable issues. But fear not, I'm sure everyone knows you're an amazing, totally non-racist, person because you chose to not talk about what the movie was literally about (Race)...in a thread made to discuss the movie.

What? Half the posts are people who are saying they won't see the movie because they're worried about it having some SJW agenda. That's avoiding the conversation.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I'm not sure what to make of this movie. We saw in a theater half full of nogs who, of course, shout at the screen so I may have to watch again on torrent to see if I still think it's mediocre.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
was not good, movie tries to wear too many hats and so none end up fitting correctly

sloppy and awkward film with a pretty confusing message

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I saw the movie this weekend and felt underwhelmed. I pretty much never watch horror movies as I have no interest in the genre, so that may have played a part, especially in the latter half.

However, I definitely didn't get the strong political message that so many reviewers and commentators here got out of it. There were threads but nothing felt significantly developed for it to feel impactful -- I think I could make an ok case for about three main political takeaways. But the film itself really didn't deliver any of it to me in powerful way. It felt kind of superficial. If anything, it felt like the satire served the thriller/horror aspects rather than the other way around. Now, maybe that is my messed up expectations, but it's hard not to think there would be something more there after skimming multiple reviews.

Also, when you think about it on just the story level, it's kind of retarded and makes the first half awkwardness so unbelievable:

If they had taken the bodies of a dozen black people already, why is everybody so weird and awkward around Chris? You'd think they'd have gotten their act down by now, especially the parents.

Also, if the operation was so successful, why are the grandma and grandpa so weird? Shit like running at full speed at night in almost total darkness just feels like something to agitate the audience without making much character sense. The grandma is way too stilted, as was the other black guy. Again, I think that was for the audience to feel unease, but on a character level it really doesn't fit. I don't see how the operation is a great thing to have if you can't be mostly like your old self.

So, yeah, behavior is completely off for something that had been going on for decades.

I think the film could have been a lot better if it continued more with the first half and did a play on escalating paranoid reactions from both sides that results in death/chaos but is actually born out of misunderstanding -- that, to me anyway, could have been a more powerful statement.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

The second half of the movie is more about what I think you're alluding to. The fear in a white society. But if that were genuine the movie is kind of dumb, especially if you think about its creator. A black man raised by a white woman, who went on to become very successful millionaire in a white dominated country, and is marrying another white woman.....who makes a movie about how all black people live in fear and get taken down by the man? The whole thing just has this deep hypocrisy to it that I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was satirizing how we view this society (As being laughably more dangerous than it is, kind of trying to say 'this is what society would need to be like in order to have the current hysteria').

I don't see why it has to be hypocrisy if that was the takeaway (not that I really feel it is). That'd be like saying any person who was poor and is now successful (by virtue of making a film) can never create something about the hardship of poverty or something like that. You can find any group in the world and find a successful person from it -- that doesn't necessarily mean all groups face an equal playing field (or that it's hypocrisy if that one person doesn't see it that way). It's ultimately one data point, likewise with choosing a white wife. He could also feel like he had to overcome a lot more than he should have because of his blackness. That could just be perception on his part but I think that would excuse him from a hypocrisy charge. Besides, there are many artists who can create something that they don't have direct personal experience of.

That said, if you're going to pull in outside knowledge of the creator when judging the film, I think the Key & Peele series should make most people lean to a more nuanced, less overtly harsh takeaway.

I do think part of what was being said about the white characters is that there is a predisposition to view black people in a certain way or have certain expectations and when a black person comes along that doesn't necessarily conform to that, it messes with their worldview and they have a hard time recognizing the person as an individual instead of a group they think they know; there's a lot of assumption and virtue signaling there. I actually think a good real life example is Armond White, the one guy who gave a negative review on RT. He's a conservative, Christian, gay, black man. I've read so many people get all nuts about his views, like "how could you betray your race/sexual orientation, or be religious!!!" and that's just silly, but it's only because in their mind the boxes of gay and black and conservative could never possibly overlap.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't see why it has to be hypocrisy if that was the takeaway (not that I really feel it is). That'd be like saying any person who was poor and is now successful (by virtue of making a film) can never create something about the hardship of poverty or something like that. You can find any group in the world and find a successful person from it -- that doesn't necessarily mean all groups face an equal playing field (or that it's hypocrisy if that one person doesn't see it that way). It's ultimately one data point, likewise with choosing a white wife. He could also feel like he had to overcome a lot more than he should have because of his blackness. That could just be perception on his part but I think that would excuse him from a hypocrisy charge. Besides, there are many artists who can create something that they don't have direct personal experience of.

The hypocrisy charge isn't from an anecdote, its from the specific message in the movie--it's just made worse by the view point its written from, because it illustrates that even in the best case scenarios this kind of racism is absolutely acceptable in our society, especially by well meaning white people who will simply accept it in order to attempt to maintain moral authority (IE they will hang themselves from a painless invisible cross and say they deserve for blacks to discriminate against them because of their privilege--I say invisible because the people who this the most, live on an economic level where they know none of the bad effects of this kind of hatred will ever touch them. But they will be able to speak with the authority that such moral selflessness grants.) But, anyway--to be specific, the hypocrisy comes from the message of what racism is.

Racism is the unnatural fear and bias against someone for their skin, for no reason on an individual level. This movie, if it was genuine, is literally about how black people fear white people before knowing them individually. It is literally the definition of racism. Now, this is only exacerbated by (But its not the core of the hypocrisy) the fact that the creator had a white mother who was really close to him, who helped him at every step of his life. He thrived in one of the most tolerant, and open towns in a country which statistically (Despite what the media says) is one of the most tolerant and open in the world. (Yes, I said that right--many countries which claim this to be tolerant and diverse, don't actually have much diversity. If they do, its a brain drain single group that was rigorously selected. Take, Canada for example--nearly all of their diversity are well educated Asians. Btw, Asians in the U.S. make more money, suffer shorter sentences for crimes, and do better in schools than whites, too.) Peele potentially had 'the best case' scenario you can have in this country in terms of being tolerant toward white people, they are literally his family. And if his movies message is genuine than he openly promotes racism.

Or...Lets flip the script, DT. Because this is a helpful way to think about racism. If a white guy was marrying a black woman. And he was deeply uncomfortable and fearful of the black people around him, and deeply suspicious. And the message of the movie was looked at as "this is what its like for a white person to be in a black neighborhood, where at any moment they could kill you"--then the movie makes all black people into soul sucking leaches that make white men fearful of being mean to them, and simply allow the black families to drain away everything from them.

Is that movie racist? Your damn right you'd be hearing that it is racist. The hypocrisy is evident in the fact that if this is the message of the film, its deeply racist, yet somehow--somehow, we're supposed to see this as evidence of how white people are actually the racist ones.

I do think part of what was being said about the white characters is that there is a predisposition to view black people in a certain way or have certain expectations and when a black person comes along that doesn't necessarily conform to that, it messes with their worldview and they have a hard time recognizing the person as an individual instead of a group they think they know; there's a lot of assumption and virtue signaling there. I actually think a good real life example is Armond White, the one guy who gave a negative review on RT. He's a conservative, Christian, gay, black man. I've read so many people get all nuts about his views, like "how could you betray your race/sexual orientation, or be religious!!!" and that's just silly, but it's only because in their mind the boxes of gay and black and conservative could never possibly overlap.

Well, again, though--that's the irony isn't it? You're talking about how white people often don't see blacks as individuals. Can you name me one white person in the film that wasn't a manipulative, murderous, soul sucking parasite that fed on black men while being nice to their face?

That's the irony..Within the film its trying to convey how white people don't see black people as anything but X, but the film explicitly conveys all white people as Y. So every message the film is trying to convey has a deep hypocrisy to it, or its a clever satire meant to poke fun at black people too. I'm hoping Peele is smart enough for the latter, but given our current trend of what you said (Where a lot of this is based on identity ideologies), I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former. Because even intelligent people are being sucked into the cult of ID politics.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

The hypocrisy charge isn't from an anecdote, its from the specific message in the movie--it's just made worse by the view point its written from, because it illustrates that even in the best case scenarios this kind of racism is absolutely acceptable in our society, especially by well meaning white people who will simply accept it in order to attempt to maintain moral authority (IE they will hang themselves from a painless invisible cross and say they deserve for blacks to discriminate against them because of their privilege--I say invisible because the people who this the most, live on an economic level where they know none of the bad effects of this kind of hatred will ever touch them. But they will be able to speak with the authority that such moral selflessness grants.) But, anyway--to be specific, the hypocrisy comes from the message of what racism is.

Racism is the unnatural fear and bias against someone for their skin, for no reason on an individual level. This movie, if it was genuine, is literally about how black people fear white people before knowing them individually. It is literally the definition of racism. Now, this is only exacerbated by (But its not the core of the hypocrisy) the fact that the creator had a white mother who was really close to him, who helped him at every step of his life. He thrived in one of the most tolerant, and open towns in a country which statistically (Despite what the media says) is one of the most tolerant and open in the world. (Yes, I said that right--many countries which claim this to be tolerant and diverse, don't actually have much diversity. If they do, its a brain drain single group that was rigorously selected. Take, Canada for example--nearly all of their diversity are well educated Asians. Btw, Asians in the U.S. make more money, suffer shorter sentences for crimes, and do better in schools than whites, too.) Peele potentially had 'the best case' scenario you can have in this country in terms of being tolerant toward white people, they are literally his family. And if his movies message is genuine than he openly promotes racism.

Or...Lets flip the script, DT. Because this is a helpful way to think about racism. If a white guy was marrying a black woman. And he was deeply uncomfortable and fearful of the black people around him, and deeply suspicious. And the message of the movie was looked at as "this is what its like for a white person to be in a black neighborhood, where at any moment they could kill you"--then the movie makes all black people into soul sucking leaches that make white men fearful of being mean to them, and simply allow the black families to drain away everything from them.

Is that movie racist? Your damn right you'd be hearing that it is racist. The hypocrisy is evident in the fact that if this is the message of the film, its deeply racist, yet somehow--somehow, we're supposed to see this as evidence of how white people are actually the racist ones.

Well, again, though--that's the irony isn't it? You're talking about how white people often don't see blacks as individuals. Can you name me one white person in the film that wasn't a manipulative, murderous, soul sucking parasite that fed on black men while being nice to their face?

That's the irony..Within the film its trying to convey how white people don't see black people as anything but X, but the film explicitly conveys all white people as Y. So every message the film is trying to convey has a deep hypocrisy to it, or its a clever satire meant to poke fun at black people too. I'm hoping Peele is smart enough for the latter, but given our current trend of what you said (Where a lot of this is based on identity ideologies), I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former. Because even intelligent people are being sucked into the cult of ID politics.

I think this goes back to what my reaction was, that any political takeway was not sufficiently developed in a way that limits explanations. Are all the white people in the movie supposed to represent all white people? Is Chris's plight the plight of all black people? If you go on that assumption, then yeah, it's pretty bad, but that's such a literal take. Or is it that the white people in the film represent a certain group? All but the cop are part of the evil cabal in the film. You could make a case that Peele is showing off a group of people that superficially should be positive for blacks (enlightened white liberals and police officers) but often turn out not to be. You could even throw the black cops in there too. Or he's just showing ways racism can show up in ways that are not overt. But, again, I don't think there's the depth there that everyone is trying to draw out. Because it ends in death, are we to assume that Peele believes such situations should end in violent overthrow?

Also, I think Chris does give them a chance by being acquiescent when they're acting increasingly weird. He thinks they'll be weird about his blackness but he's not afraid of them. He even downplays his friend's fear about going to a white person's home. And I think it's wrong to say his judgments are all about skin color because he's way more suspicious of the maid and gardener than he is of the white family (you could even say this is a critique of black people who are critical of those they deem to be "acting white", another kind of racism that I wouldn't be surprised if Peele has experienced it). The family he mostly just sees as awkward about his blackness and he shrugs that off as SOP, even after the brother becomes somewhat more overtly hostile/weird. But the maid and gardener he feels fundamentally more unnerved by. He gives them all a chance and tries to get to know them, or at least develop some rapport because of his relationship with the daughter. However, Chris was clearly never given a chance since he was targeted and groomed by the daughter from the start. However, I can see how you might say since they did turn out to be psychos, the message was that you *should* be afraid of white people in a very strong way. But, here, again, I think it gets muddled because it has to, at some point, turn into the full on horror film.

As I said in another post, I think this movie has just enough to let you formulate some theories without actually having a fully coherent and consistent message (though maybe that's part of the point, to talk about race). To take another statement you made about this film being very potentially critical of white women, "It's funny though because it's most focused on how white women are the biggest downfall of black men." See, I feel like that reveals a bias because I don't see how it's true. The gardener was the grandfather who created the operation -- a man. It's his brainchild. The mother helps get the victim in a compliant state of mind but the actual person doing the operations now, the actual soul sucking, is the father (and it sounds like the brother was going to follow in his footsteps). The daughter is seducing people to get them for the operation, the brother is snatching people off the street. The guy wanting to take Chris's body is a man.

I really think this film is being taken way too deeply because of the climate we're in now. I have as great a difficulty seeing your possible theory as a tight explanation as I do the many raving reviews. In a little bit of irony, I actually do think reviewers' liberal bias probably played into giving it a more positive rating than it truly deserved (though, I still don't think it was fear). It's like saying Captain America Civil War was a truly insightful and deep commentary on our modern day government and surveillance state. And it's like, well, no, it's not that deep, but it did add a little more substance than your average comic book film. It's enough to make you think and have a conversation, perhaps, but it's ultimately still deeply rooted in its genre.

I've read some interviews with him and it's clear that he really loves horror films and it also seems clear to me that he has no militant BLM rhetoric fueling the subtext of this film. He definitely's not color blind or post-racial but he doesn't come across as a fanatical SJW. I think he just decided to use some of his experiences and experiences he's familiar with to create a horror film that will make some people think about it. Personally, I don't think the horror genre really serves this well if he was trying to make a powerful statement because it has to escalate to a violent/gory/terror end.

Jordan Peele's 'Get Out' Was Originally More Disturbing
Jordan Peele Talks 'Get Out' And His Love For Horror Movies

Jordan Peele said:
Racism comes in many different forms. Sometimes it's subtle and sometimes it's overt. Sometimes it's violent and sometimes it's harmless, but it's definitely here. It's something that I think we're all guilty of, and we just have to make sure that we deal with our own personal racism in the right way.

Even when I do meet people who are a little bit behind the curve, I recognize it for what it is. It's just human nature in action. It's pretty harmless stuff now, but it's just part of being a minority.

I don't get nervous, but I do look for things. I find myself very hyperaware of the social dynamic. That's just a part of being black in this country, and a part of the African-American experience.

At the end of the day, I felt like we're now in an era now where the audience needs an escape from the horror of reality. If I'm asking them, as an audience, to sit through some racially tense, suspense scenes, I need to pay them back with some cheers at the end. I've been to about six screenings, and that response seems pretty consistent. The first half of the movie elicits some uncomfortable giggles with some jump scares here and there. By the end, the crowd is always cheering. I love getting cheers. I love giving scares. Anything that really works with the audience makes me happy. I've also seen the film with a predominantly white crowd, and there was an enormous cheer as well. Revenge and killing the deserving bad guy really works, regardless of skin color.

I've been a horror fan for so long. I've done so much comedy over the last 15 years, but you could recognize a lot of similarities between the genres. So much of it is pacing, so much of it reveals. So much of it is the ability to pinpoint what an audience is going through at that very moment.

A big part of it is I've been wanting to do horror for a long time, and luckily I've kind of gotten something of a training through comedy. I definitely felt confident in the fact that it's a genre that all you need to work is the story and the scariness and the emotion. If you can get that you can make a decent movie in the genre.

It is a very personal story. It's a horror movie that is from an African American's perspective. It very quickly veers off from anything autobiographical, but I think what interested me most about this movie was dealing with racism, really everything from the subtle racism that many people may not know exists on a day to day basis, or for a lot of people.

...To the more extreme racism and everything in between. When I talk about movies like Rosemary's Baby and Stepford Wives, I really noticed that these movies were able to address fears surround the women's lib movement in a way that was engaging, not preachy, but fun.

It occurred to me that no one's really made a thriller about race, since maybe Night of the Living Dead, which was [48 years ago.]

His comparison to Rosemary's Baby and Stepford Wives seems apt. Those have more pointed and more coherent messages and are much better, imo, but would you ever think of taking those films as literally?

I think he wants to make people think and question, especially with the first half of the film, but I don't think he's advocating that white people are irredeemable racists and should die or that black people should always be afraid of white people no matter the context or circumstance. To me, it's really two films. Social/racial satire in the first half and horror in the second half. I don't think he fused them together well enough, though.

Last edited:

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Watched this last night. White guilt is incredibly strong with this one, I guess that explains the 99% RT score.
Considering how sensitive some (most?) of the american black people are about racial issues, if you want to see american streets painted red, swap whites and blacks in this movies and send it to theatres...

• 1Like

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haha just saw a commercial for this movie that specifically cited "100% on rotten tomatoes."

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
All the blacks on my feed are going nuts over this. It's also spawned a lot of racist memes involving blacks in rooms with whites with the hashtag #getout.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
Haha that's pretty funny though. I haven't seen this yet but looking forward to it.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was a good movie. I don't know about 99% on rotten tomatoes. Like someone else said I wouldn't say it was groundbreaking or whatever which I would expect out of a rating % like That - however keep in mind that is more a percent of how many favorable reviews this got - and there were a lot of 3 star reviews amongst the positives , which makes sense . That % just means there were few people who thought this was a just plain bad movie. Which i completely agree with. I didn't get the sense the movie was pushing its political message that hard - I mean it was plainly obvious there was one but the movie was much more a satire and funny horror than it was some poignant political commentary on the modern day. If people left the movie with that feeling it was most likely their preset biases that left them looking for something they wanted to find.

This movie is sjw? That's a stretch and u start to sound as retarded as the extreme left when u vomit that nonsense. But reviews from 'critics' that call this a masterpiece of poignant social commentary ( I'm assuming such reviews exist ) - yeah, that part is def sjw nonsense.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't find the movie SJW. Coming from a Black person's perspective that lives in a White community, it hit home. Blacks represent 1.5% of the town I live in. It's also an affluent area. Deep down I know that if there's going to be an Apocalypse and the government shuts down, that you white devils are coming for me. If the goverment ever institutes a purge, I know what to expect.

• 1Like