Getting started in computer programming

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
A few biases to be ready for that I've seen a lot:

Until you have 5 years software dev experience, you aren't very desirable
Once you are over 40, you are either a superstar who has done some impressive shit and can mentor/lead things, or you are starting to become less adaptable and less valuable than younger devs who can still put in lots of hours and can change languages and technologies a lot easier

Programming is certainly a possibility, especially if you do love it. I wonder if there are better job fits that will let you do what you want but not be as hard to switch into. Business Analyst comes to mind as a possibility, or any DB related job.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think most of what I learned from my CS degree was not very useful to my actual software engineering job. I've forgotten most of the math and a lot of the theory. I know there are some programs that offer software engineering degrees now and that would probably be worth pursuing. Stuff like using patterns, understanding frameworks, code design and architecture, testing (that could easily be multiple semesters), was only tangentially touched on, but maybe things have changed in the last decade. It's always been my contention that a CS degree prepares you to become a graduate student, not a real world programmer.
Depends on the job obviously. Not everyone is going to be a corporate developer. Some do need the training CS gives you. But like you touched on since the majority of developer jobs out there are corporate jobs translating business rules into code a CS degree doesn't exactly prepare you for that. I can only assume your path didn't teach you a thing about IoC containers, build and deploy frameworks or anything like that. And I use those every day of my life. I have yet to put my Calc 3 class to use on the job.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know what you're talking about.. I use triple integrals and partial derivatives all day long. Ok maybe not.

What if you thought about what kind of programming you wanted to do then worked backwards and targeted learning materials and side projects for that? Like many of these guys have been saying, they rarely use their math education from school. However, in game programming you use linear algebra a lot. Do you want to do biz software/general application software, games, web apps?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
this thread has some similar info:
http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...mputer-Science

and this thread is nearly identical:
http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...ng-on-Your-Own

And here's my contribution on it. I might merge these two threads.

Tuco's guide to learning virtually any creative hobby, including programming:
1. Figure out what object you actually want to make and have. Not what you want to learn, not what you want to be, but what object you want to have.
2. Determine an smaller object that is related but has 1-5% of the scope of what you want to make.
3. Figure out what skills and tools you need to make that smaller object.
4. Ask an expert on those skills and tools what the best way to get started on learning them to create that small object.
5. Once you finish it you'll be much better equipped to move forward.

Game Programming Example:
1. Figure out a reasonable game , let's say you want to make a hack and slash adventure game and you want to write the engine on your own.
2. Remake pong.
3. Choose your libraries (xna, opengl whatever)
4. Make a thread on learning XNA.
5. ?? profit.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lots of good programming info here but make sure you actually want to program. I know lots of dudes who went into Computer Sci and all they really wanted to do was networking / windows admin type stuff. You can go pretty far with Cisco / MS / VMWare certs.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Lots of good programming info here but make sure you actually want to program. I know lots of dudes who went into Computer Sci and all they really wanted to do was networking / windows admin type stuff. You can go pretty far with Cisco / MS / VMWare certs.
this is definitely true. You'll learn a lot in college and in a career in software development but it's all the same shit over and over again. If you don't like creating your first hello world program and figuring out why your first bank program doesn't work you probably won't like a career in programming.

Tenks

I know even more people who went into comp sci thinking making a video game was all glamour and sex until they realized that it kind of sucks and they hate programming.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Thanks for all the good advice and info guys. Lots of food for thought. And dont worry, I would never quit a job, even one I hated without a backup plan and job in place.

Xith

The good thing about learning how to program is that you can do it for free. There are many languages, but the underlying concepts are the same between all of them. I would suggest trying to create some software that would solve a problem for you. If you put it out on Git or someplace public, people can comment and help you if you get stuck.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's always been my contention that a CS degree prepares you to become a graduate student, not a real world programmer.
This is pretty much true of all degrees I think. People think they're going to come out of college with a job skill, but all it really does is give you a taste for the world you're getting into and show your prospective employer that you are capable of finishing something difficult. You learn to do your job after you get hired.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm 37. I have a bachelors degree in molecular and cellular biology from the university of Arizona. I also have an associates degree in respiratory therapy. That is my current occupation. I have no prior programming knowledge but I can build computers and have become good at troubleshooting routers and networks. I'd most likely be more interested in computer science for programming.

As for pay, I'd opt for the degree first so it's at least a lateral move. I work in Scottsdale lol! I make about $28 and hour at my current job. Just burnt out and need a change.
I'm not sure how interested you are in biology still, but there is a pretty big gap right now in basic sciences, biology/genetics specifically where they have massive amounts of data and they need specialized software to analyze it which generally requires someone who understands both the biology and computer science to create it. If you had decent grades in school you might be able to find a CS masters program that's collaborating with a biology/genetics lab that would take you on, pay for your undergrad classes to get you caught up in programming and leverage your biology degree to help the collaboration. This is probably going to pay shit, and suck up a few years of your time but there is a lot of growth/cool shit going on this space.