Ghost in the Shell: Arise

satael

Silver Squire
The different style (of Motoko) doesn't really seem too inspired (judging by just this one picture so far) but if they haven't screwed up the storylines etc. I'll be very happy (GITS:SAC is in my top 10 anime of all time for sure)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've seen movies 1 and 2, what else is there and in what orders should they be watched?
There's GITS Stand Alone Complex, which is a TV anime series. It's in 2 parts of 26episodes each, the second one is called 2nd Gig and then a single special TV movie "episode" called Solid State Society. That's it really, there's the mangas and stuff too but animation wise, only the first movie, the 2.0 version of it(with new CG), Innocence the 2nd movie which is a sequel and the TV series.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
There's also 2 movies made from the 2 series that cover the main stories only (The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven).

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
So, chronologically speaking, should we watch the one released back in the 90s, then move onto Stand Alone Complex? Or? I remember watching a few episodes, but, am interested in starting from the beginning.

Saban_sl

shitlord
The TV show is set in a different universe where Motoko never met the bad guy from the first movie(iirc), so they are not inclusive.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it's kinda alternative universes kind of shit. I don't remember most of it cause it was so many years ago but I liked the TV show, could probably just watch the 2 movies they made on the main arcs of each series though instead of the whole thing.

Only order you need to follow is original movie(or 2.0 version of it) > Innocence and GITS SAC > 2nd Gig > Solid State Society but no specific order between them.

Wouldn't necessarily recommend everything at once though, GITS is pretty heavy stuff so watching the entire thing back to back would be kinda tiring. New show probably won't start next season so you'd have like 6-8months to watch the whole thing before it even starts, I'd say take your time.

fucker_sl

shitlord
as they said, the first 2 movies and Stand Alone Complex are in 2 different timelines

SAC is ranked second in my all time favorite serie. It pretty much fucking mindblowing. It's a scifi/spionage/political fraud/multination crime serie mixed with cyberpunk and phylosophical elements. The storyline is pretty complex. Had to rewatch some scenes more than once because i missed names and connection. Watching it a second time with the "know it" factor makes you notice all the little things you obviously missed. For this reason i suggest you get a good translation/sub because the dialogues are pretty complex

if you have seen this symbol somewhere, now you know where it is from

The_Laughing_Man_Logo_by_motwaaagh.gif

also, you either love or hate the Tachikomas. No middle ground there

SAC: 2nd gig is good too, but it's heavely influenced by it's predecessor so you got the "already seen" feeling when you watch it

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Probably gonna grab 2.0 myself, I think the last time I watched the original GITS it was on VHS, which scares me a little bit as to how fucking long ago that was. That's like when I had just started watching anime(other than the stuff on TV like db/dbz, saint seiya, city hunter, grendizer, hokuto no ken and all those great stuff from the 80s) and I barely remember anything from it other than I liked it.

satael

Silver Squire
The scene where they're singing the song while they knock out the nuclear missiles made me cry. <3 those insane little AIs
That scene is really great. I like the tachikomas especially for
how they (AIs) are shown to evolve when they aren't "reseted"