Ghostbusters (2016)

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I saw the new Ecto-1 over in Chinatown today (Boston Chinatown that is... which is subbing for NYC) and I had a full-on nerdboner. I have to think positively about this film, I just have to.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ecto -1 was falling apart and it was a money sink. But Ray got it because Ray liked it. I mean, even now, you think of a hearse and you think of that model. No one looks at that '84 model or whatever year it is and think, yeah, this is it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It was a hearse? I thought it was an ambulance? Everything I know about Ghostbusters is a lie...

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider

It wasn't a hearse

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/Ghostbusters.txt
EXT. FIREHALL -- DAY

The garage bay door is open. Two painters on scaffolding are completing a
paint job on the front of the structure in flat black paint. A carpenter
finishes hanging a sign over the door. It reads: GHOSTBUSTERS.

Then Stantz comes driving up in a very long, gold 1959 Cadillac ambulance
and turns into the garage bay of the firehall. The car has a battered look
to it and rumbles noisily due to a broken muffler.

INT. GARAGE BAY -- DAY

Stantz hits the siren and flashes the emergency lights as he drives in.
Venkman crosses to the car as Stantz jumps out enthusiastically.

STANTZ
Everybody can relax. I found the car. How
do you like it?

VENKMAN
(not terribly pleased)
Do you think it's wide enough? How much?

STANTZ
Fourteen hundred.

Venkman steps on the front bumper and rocks it. It wallows badly.

STANTZ
Just needs a little suspension work ... And
a muffler ... And maybe brakes.

~~~~~~~~~

EXT. FIREHALL -- NIGHT

The garage door slides up and in a blaze of light and screeching tires,
the ambulance squeals out and makes a right turn. The vehicle has been
painted flat black and has been fitted with communication wafers and
antennae. All the original lights have been replaced with purple and
white strobes and the siren has been altered to emit a low, unearthly
moaning The purple and white strobe bars give the car a strange
ultraviolet aura. It rounds the corner and heads up the West Side
Highway.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It was. Hearse and Ambulance were the same car.

This is what it looked like, before it became ecto-1:
Ecto-1-You-cant-park-that-here.jpg

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
that car is beautiful and it wasnt in that bad a condition. all those repairs at that time probably cost under a grand if you did the work yourself. the custom paint job is what would kill you. probably a few grand alone. luckily all the glass was intact, you cant find wraparound windshields easily and they certainly arent cheap.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Those windshields are definitely not cheap. Not that anyone cares, but there's a company in Minnesota I think that has the original molds for most of the classic professional cars. The windshield for my 62 Cadillac hearse was quoted at around $2500 with shipping. Still not impossible to find in-tact classic professional cars, just get more expensive as time goes on to buy and maintain.

The 59 Cadillac is absolutely an iconic car, and the professional cars of that year the most iconic of their kind. It may not have been as widely revered in 1984 because it wasn't that old, yet, but it was far from the heap of junk people are pretending them to be. In the original movie they played it off like a random old junker, but they were making a very conscious stylistic decision. They knew the 59 Caddy with the biggest of fins and chrome trim and windows all around was a timeless choice that was weird, but also stylish and made a statement.

The only statement they're making with this new choice is that they're making bad stylistic decisions. I mean, not even most goth kids think the 80's hearses are cool and they tend to have pretty shitty taste.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
$4800 sounds like a shit ton of money, especially back then, for a used car that old.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
They look suitably like losers/nerds. Fingers crossed for the dialogue. Pulling off Bill Murray's role is going to be the most subtle challenge.