Ghostbusters (2016)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
TIL that the ghostbusters song was a direct ripoff of Huey Lewis's "I Want a New Drug" and Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker jr.

Caliane

wow. you just found out about that now?

Also, not going to listen to that shit. is it the same song leaked a few pages back?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
wow. you just found out about that now?

Also, not going to listen to that shit. is it the same song leaked a few pages back?
Yeah seems to be the same song, but it gained in ear rapey strength somehow. Also i never heard about the ghostbusters theme ripoff thing until today. I dunno how i never did, maybe i heard about it back in the day but completely forgot. Did you know Men At Work's Down Under song was a ripoff and were sued too?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Did you know that about 20 Led Zeppelin songs have been put under the same scrutiny?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Did you know that about 20 Led Zeppelin songs have been put under the same scrutiny?
Yeah, but i was talking succesfully. Ghostbusters was settled and men at work has to pay royalties to the people they ripped off.

Im surprised madonna never sued lady gaga for ripping off express yourself or that chick band that ripped off that bonjovi song

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Unless you're blaming the terribleness of the song on the fact that the movie stars women, nobody's calling you a misogynist.
that's not how it works, there's woman in it so that is referenced at the start of every condemnation.

spronk

FPS noob
so whats the verdict on this movie now, I think it'll obviously be #1 weekend opening. Will it cross $100m domestic, $300m intl first week? Pass 85% on RT/meta?

I'm guessing it'll do $70m domestic / $200m intl, 65% on RT. End its run at $180m domestic, $400m intl.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
It still has to compete with Finding Dory. I'll put Finding Dory next week at 55m domestic while ghostbusters comes in at 40-50m and second place. Rotten tomatoes score of 35 to 45% range.

Place your bets people!

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
TIL that the ghostbusters song was a direct ripoff of Huey Lewis's "I Want a New Drug" and Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker jr.
I'm listening to the Huey Lewis song right now. There's similarity, but it's not nearly as bad a ripoff as that Robin Thicke date rape song was of the Marvin Gaye's Got To Give It Up.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm listening to the Huey Lewis song right now. There's similarity, but it's not nearly as bad a ripoff as that Robin Thicke date rape song was of the Marvin Gaye's Got To Give It Up.
yeah, it never even crossed my mind that both songs were that close that lewis had a valid claim.

Caliane

The thing with Ghostbusters theme is, they tried to hire Huey Lewis, could not get him. So hired Parker to copy him. Lots of cases of sampling, accidental, etc plagiarism. This was a case of musical swiping.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Reviews will be below average, it'll do fine in the box office but less than the studio hopes, and it won't leave any lasting cultural footprint.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
XD9pMvW.jpg

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The original ghost busters theme probably accounts for like 20% of the total songs played at Roller Skating Rinks over the last 20-30 years.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I liked Huey Lewis's comment about it. The comment got him sued for violating the NDA after the copyright lawsuit:

"The offensive part was not so much that Ray Parker Jr. had ripped this song off, it was kind of symbolic of an industry that wants something - they wanted our wave, and they wanted to buy it. . t's not for sale. . In the end, I suppose they were right. I suppose it was for sale, because, basically, they bought it."
Ray Parker Jr. Suing Huey Lewis Over Comment - MTV