Ghostbusters (2016)

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I find it a bit perplexing that when people question and analyze the content of video games and the impact it might have on the people who play them, people around the board are like "These are just games, just mindless fun, how can it have any impact on anyone?", but when we have an all female remake of a classic movie it is a terrible piece of feminist propaganda made to brainwash people...

I have not seen the movie nor checked the aforementioned reviews, but someone complaining all male characters in a movie are stupid, coward or evil must not have seen a lot of movies or simply never realized the number of them where women are all stupid, coward or evil (off the top of my head, isn't that the case with the original Ghostbuster? I only remember a dumb blond student getting wooed by Bill Murray and a possessed Sigourney Weaver that becomes a vessel for the evil antagonist - disclaimer: I saw it just once and more than 20 years ago).
Nobody cares if they make movies or not, nobody forces you to go see it.

What we don't like is being told we're mysogynists if we don't like a movie, regardless of why or whatever. People hate on most remakes period, but if we hate on one with an all female cast, we're mysogynists. It's fucking dumb.

Lets remake Citizen Kane as a Wayans brothers Friday-style blaxsploitation comedy, and see if people like it? If they don't, lets call them racist. Lets preemptively publish 9000 articles calling everyone racist to start. Thats what's going on here.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Because the latest super hit in China is Stephen Chow's The Mermaid (which is pretty funny btw but not as good as Kung Fu Hustle in my book).
How to watch? I only found a terrible quality recording.

What did you think of his stuff on Netflix? I thought God of Cookery had some fantastic scenes, Justice My Foot! was hilarious, and God of Comedy was pretty lousy. I think they all have pacing and tone issues (which are also in the original Chinese cut of Shao Lin Soccer, making the American cut superior and probably my favorite movie of all time), but there's enough of that trademark wackiness to make them all at least somewhat interesting.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>

What we don't like is being told we're mysogynists if we don't like a movie, regardless of why or whatever. People hate on most remakes period, but if we hate on one with an all female cast, we're mysogynists. It's fucking dumb.

Lets remake Citizen Kane as a Wayans brothers Friday-style blaxsploitation comedy, and see if people like it? If they don't, lets call them racist. Lets preemptively publish 9000 articles calling everyone racist to start. Thats what's going on here.
No hyperbole or exaggeration there at all.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

It's not even the fact that I am being called a Misogynist. Its the entire cog and bolts and machinery of the industry needling and pulling the edges of society to make people think that it is acceptable to call normal people Mysoginist, or Racist, or Bigoted, or whatever, for a cash payout. The same industries that make "conservatives" the devil, so much they actually believe that. Liberalism is falling for the same corporate traps over and over and over. Get mad at people who have nothing to do with the problem because they are easy to paint as the (white or otherwise) devil. When some uncaring, unethical, worst of capitalism, board of directors pushes a narrative down to the trenches where these people eat it up because there aren't enough real problems in society. No asshole sheriff in Alabama is sicking dogs and fire hoses on people anymore. Keep preying upon tribalism for dollars Hollywood. You had every opportunity to create a multifaceted and gorgeous tapestry of art, but everybody went corporate and cashed in. Consolidated like every other industry we hate.

For a Hollywood being very "liberal" the business seems just as bad as Wall-Street. Good job with that guys.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Is Spy really that good? I've seen a lot of praise for it coming from McCarthy haters.
It is good, but I like McCarthy so take it with a grain of salt. My guess is that the McCarthy haters like it because it's funny to see that giant pilates ball with legs be competent. Maybe it's just been too long since I saw it, but I don't really remember a lot of fat jokes. I just remember things being funny because it was a tubby little broad doing them. Not in a Beverly Hill Ninja way either.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
McCarthy is hit and miss. She is sort of like the anti-Will Farrell, where she is better as the lead rather than the supporting character most of the time. I personally could not stand Bridesmaids. But she was really good and funny in The Heat, Tammy, and Spy. I think the real problem is Wiig. She is entertaining when she has someone good to play off of (her scenes with Steve Carol were frankly the best parts of Anchorman 2 and great in Paul) but I have never liked a movie where she was the central character. But I think Feig made a name for himself with Bridesmaids and it was financially successful without really being good, so people got the wrong idea about both her (Wiig) viability as a star and Feig's ability to make a solid comedy. Toss in the whole feminist echo chamber self inflated ego nonsense, and you get this shitty movie.

Mostly I blame Feig and Wiig, along with the people they talked into making this abomination. McCarthy just takes what comes to her and will likely bounce back. The other two are one note character actresses who will end up back on sitcom TV. Hemsworth just loves iconic classic movies and wants to be in them (hence this, Vacation, Red Dawn) for the sake of childhood nostalgia. The talent was there for this to work, for the most part, they just shit all over it by half assing on the script and execution, plus injecting their bullshit politics into it. And the fact that they leaked the cameo scenes with Murray and Akroyd tells you they know they have a giant turd on their hands and are trying to save face.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Except the kooky left SJW element of the media _does_ exist. Just look at what TDS has turned into or that turd of a show Larry Wilmore replaced Colbert with. And that's not even getting into the supposed "real" news. The blue hairs have done to MSNBC and CNN what the fundy right did to Fox.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Btw, do people actually like Ghostbusters 2? I thought that was a pretty shitty sequel and was a good reason not to try again with the original cast unless there was actually a good script.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
kevin smith posted on youtube his review on the movie. i listened up to the point he says, "i saw ghostbusters and um uh it was entertaining" then i remembered he loved phantom menace and shut it off.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
The "evil army" of gamergaters who probably don't exist or the "evil army" of SJW activists controlling the media who probably don't exist?
Wealthy people control the media and they use whatever misdirection that's convenient to fueling it. You are presently living through the gender-fluid black-mexican muslim micro-rape victim chapter of the narrative.
ESPN to Televise Obama Infomercial on Race, Gives Host Supporting Black Lives Matter On-Air Role - Breitbart

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Btw, do people actually like Ghostbusters 2? I thought that was a pretty shitty sequel and was a good reason not to try again with the original cast unless there was actually a good script.
GB2 was entertaining, it just could not measure up to the original in any way, mostly due to the timing the first had going for it. I thought having a more direct bad guy and the self parody aspects were funny, but it lacked the freshness the original came with. It also did not help that the cartoon was so damn good and seemed like a better follow up to the first movie than GB2.

As for your other question, I can't really answer that.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
GB2 had some funny parts/lines, but it doesn't come close to the first for me.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The "evil army" of gamergaters who probably don't exist or the "evil army" of SJW activists controlling the media who probably don't exist?
The media believes Gamergaters are evil men who hate women, and thus hate this movie because it's women. If you were to ask 100 people in Gamergate if their motivation was hating women?I'm sure most would say absolutely not, and explain many other reasonable positions for why they are in GG.Meanwhile, many people now believe that quite a few Journalists believe in the ideological positions of Social Justice. If you were to ask 100 of these journalists if they felt they lived, for example, in a "rape culture" (A culture that condones and enjoys rape)--I'm willing to bet you'd get a majority of respondents saying yes.

And there in lies the difference. When the media's motivations are being described? They aren't antithetical to what the journalist would probably describe his BELIEFS as. Meanwhile, when Gamergates motivations are being described? They ARE antithetical to what most people in GG actually believe. Which is the part that is ridiculous--it's not ridiculous to think GG exists, it's also not ridiculous to believe most people in GG are not fans of this film, those are both readily observable realities that have a lot of overt evidence...What's ridiculous is believing all those people have a mentality driven by hatred, and are inherently "evil". (This is where the ideological bias comes in; just like it wasn't ridiculous for some early man to see his crops were dead, and that the rains not coming often lead to them dying--the ridiculous part was when said early man invented a religion to describe WHY with no evidence.)

I don't believe SJWs are evil--Misguided ideologues? Yes. Evil? No. And I'm sure if I asked most of their motivations, as said, their own answers would come close to what I criticize them for (They'd be proud of their beliefs, too). The media assigns motivations based on twisted correlations that don't have any substantiation. When we call specific journalists SJW's though? Those authors themselves will probably proudly extol the various ideological principles contained within that ideology.

Hope you can see that difference. In one case (Journalists) I'm taking someone's word for their motivation. In the other (GG) you're attempting to say the people are lying (With scant evidence to boot.)...You can see how one is ridiculous and the other not.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
GB2 had its moments, but it pales in comparison to the first. I don't think it's utter shit like a lot of people, but it's clearly inferior to the original. The whole "mood slime" and Statue of Liberty nonsense was a little too silly for me.

I will never tire of Peter MacNicol coming to and saying "Why am I drippings wit goo?!" though.

Caliane

I didn't like GB2 much back then. would have agreed with, "some moments". Nowadays, I think there is very little I like about it at all. Like, ONLY the ghost train scene. The rest, total dislike.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the courtroom scene was my favorite part of the movie. ghost train was cool too, but nothing better than rick moranis telling the judge the ghostbusters helped him out when he was a dog.