Ghostbusters (2016)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't go anymore for that reason. I invested a good amount for a 70 inch TV and a really nice surround sound and big leather "movie" recliners we can shift in front of the TV, and we have movie nights when shit drops onto DVD. Far, far cheaper in the long run, and frankly it's an awesome experience with modern electronics.
It's nearly criminal to have a 70 inch TV and watch DVDs on it. So used to HD now I'd think I forgot to put my contacts in watching a DVD on that big a screen.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's nearly criminal to have a 70 inch TV and watch DVDs on it. So used to HD now I'd think I forgot to put my contacts in watching a DVD on that big a screen.
I'm pretty sure he means bluray or rips. The same way people still say they are tapeing everything. If not he should be fucking slapped.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Sony will call it a "resounding success" no matter what, but it will never break even on its production+marketing cost. Hopefully the sequel (if there is one) will be placed into someone else's hands.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I will not see this movie as it looks like trash, but if everyone would have just shut up about it instead of raging then it would have came and went like Total Recall or Robocop. People being mad online are going to get this thing a sequel.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think they said the sequel will be a different cast and probably a different director. they team up with the fembeasts in the third film.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
box office mojo estimates it could still make $190 to 220 million domestic........
No effing way. Worldwide, perhaps. Next week is F&F in Space, the week after Bourne. I can't see it breaking $100mil, which is one zero too many anyway.
Paul Feg's movies (from boxofficemojo):
...................ww........domestic
Bridesmaids...$288.4...$169.1
The Heat......$229.9...$159.6
Spy.............$235.7...$110.8
Ghostkillers...$65.1.....$46.0
Can you see the pattern?

Now if you excuse me, I'm off to watch Ghostbusters.

EDIT: Formatting is fubar since tabs won't show properly, blame M$.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm not sure what your point is with those numbers when Ghostbusters isn't open in all markets that it will open it and its run is not over.

190-200 is unrealistic, and BOM actually says so (they were throwing out 190-220 if it performed to the average of other Feig films, but this is more a franchise blockbuster than a Feig comedy in terms of behavior).

khalid

Unelected Mod
Box-Office Analysis: Why the Reboot May Haunt Sony - Hollywood Reporter
has a good breakdown. Lulz and sonys spin on this shits, they are ecstatic with the numbers. This is the biggest oppening for a live action comedy since 2015 pitch perfect 2

"I know Sony is crowing about it being a great opening for a comedy, but the entire Ghostbusters legacy is what's at stake here, and it's not looking good.This was supposed to be a blockbuster," he continues. "Sony definitively did not launch a franchise, and seemingly they might be the only ones that don't know it. I know it's been a tough road for them, and I feel for them."
They wanted this to be a blockbuster and instead got a summer comedy.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not sure what your point is with those numbers when Ghostbusters isn't open in all markets that it will open it and its run is not over.

190-200 is unrealistic, and BOM actually says so (they were throwing out 190-220 if it performed to the average of other Feig films, but this is more a franchise blockbuster than a Feig comedy in terms of behavior).
Of course. Lets say 200mil worldwide, 100mil domestic when it closes in a few weeks. That's the pattern I'm seeing.
And when you factor in production budget, it's even 'better' (marketing expenses are probably increasing similarly):
Bridesmaids $32
The Heat $43
Spy $65
Ghostkillers $144

The more $$$ you give him...

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
So, I am pretty sure there are a few constants, after everything is said and done:

1. It probably won't make back what was put into it. This week was largely inflated due to all the women who went to see it as some sort of fucking hit against the patriarchy. Some are probably crazy enough to go every week, but I bet there were a good amount of people who wanted to see it because of DEM FEELS, and also, like some of the dudes on this board posted, women who wanted to see it because of FEMALE EMPOWERMENT...but then got hugely shut down by the shitshow it was. You're also fucking crazy as shit if you don't think the controversy led to ticket sales. They specifically advertised it as a woman empowerment thing to draw in certain demographics. They knew they'd already screwed the pooch for those of us who remember the original (and even the sequel and cartoons) extremely fondly and have been dying for a ghostbusters 3. (And imo, we got it with the video game a few years back - that was as close as we were going to get.)

2. It will still be called a resounding success by Sony - they'll say some shit like, it wasn't a success financially, but it had women leads and we've proven women leads work! Completely ignoring actual good movies with amazing female leads in them.

@Rengak: You make a good point, but let's be honest: The majority of the controversy started because Feig and Co went bonkers about the misogyny shit. Yea, some people went nuts because it was all women, but far more were angry about the direction it was going in in general, and NORMAL fanboy criticisms were instead painted as misogynistic rants from manboys. Normal movies are going to get panned early and have criticisms against them; long entrenched franchises/major series that come with their own audience are going to blow that up to an extraordinary amount. They had to know that going in, but instead of just taking it like most everyone else has, (Star Trek, Star Wars, etc) they tried to pretend it was something insidious.

And BAM. I think Maddox said it best, that the misogyny shit is a perfect excuse for mediocrity. They knew they had lost a bunch of sales already due to how shitty it looked - a way to garner some interest/more sales was to put it out there like this was a giant leap for women and anyone who doesn't see it is a member of the He Man Woman Hater's Club.

After this fiasco, I'd like to apply for membership.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
To the tune of how much? How quantifiable is that? I agree the marketing and the movie sucks, but i think most marketing and most movies suck. It's insulting to the fans of the original, it may not even make its budget back, but it is hitting the projections for a "sequel". It may be lip service like Green Lantern having a "sequel". None of it is quantifiable yet except weekend projections. It's second weekend may have a worse drop than Batman V superman. Still too early to call it a "failure" or a "win" for social justice womyn.
My guess is some accountant somewhere in Hollywood had this movie projected at 500 million. Enough to pay for the cost of making it and the cost of the next one as well.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
give_a_fuck.gif

khalid

Unelected Mod
Do you honestly think that?
Well, this movie seems to have been pushed internally as "wouldn't it be awesome if we rebooted Ghostbusters but with an all-female cast!". That is both stupid and lazy. So yeah, if this movie fails, I think its just a bit less likely that they will take some other franchise and go "wouldn't be awesome if we rebooted Back To The Future but with an all-female cast!".

Hell, I wouldn't even mind a Back To The Future reboot with an a female Marty and Dr. Brown, as long as you have something to add other than that. If that is the only thing you can come up with, go fuck yourself.