Girls who broke your heart thread

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Holy fuck this is long. But please read it. I try my best to give long and thoughtful advice to a lot of you guys, so I ask you try to return the effort and suffer through the length and read all of this.

If it makes you feel any better, I almost broke up with the new gf yesterday, and am still kinda on the verge of breaking up. A couple weeks ago everyone was in great shape, now we"re all fucked haha.

We live on opposite sides of Seoul, I work normal 9-5 hours and she works early 6-3 hours. So with the distance and the different work hours, on the weekdays our time is pretty much restricted to 7-10, which is about the same as the travel time its takes me. Plus she has a million god damn friends that all make plans with her a full week in advance, she work(ed) 2 jobs (quit one a few weeks ago though) and has school.

In the beginning everything was completely 1 sided. I put in all the effort, made all the plans, and she didn"t seem to make any effort. My Korean male friend advised me that"s how it is here, you gotta win them over and at some point it becomes flipped where the girl is trying to spend time with you always and you are the one being more distant. Normally I don"t buy the idea that the male has to impress the female; I think both need to impress each other and both need to put in effort to see the other person if they are interested. I had a bad habit of breaking things off with girls really early if I got even the slightest sense that they weren"t putting in enough effort, so to learn a good boundary, I decided to do the opposite and be patient as hell.

Fast forward, it turned out to be a good idea, or so I thought. She started showing a ton more interest and about 2 weeks ago we had the super awkward "will you be my girlfriend" conversation. She was really happy and translated something in her phone that came out in English to "walking on air." I"m thinking that"s a little extreme of a statement, but I was happy to hear it.

About 11 days go by until we hang out again (yesterday). And before that, it was another 1 1/2 weeks. We average 2 dates a week planned, and 1 fulfilled. No need to be detailed, but plans get canceled a lot that, individually, have perfectly legit reasons. But if you really want to see someone, you can usually make sure it happens if you put in a little effort even despite unforeseen interferences. I don"t see her doing any of that.

Yesterday (Saturday) I was pretty clearly and openly angry with her. She had canceled Friday because she had pinkeye + novacaned up from the dentist, a day that I was really excited about because it was one of the very very few times we had a lot of time together, and she was coming to my town, hiking with me, and staying the night. I gave her the benefit of the doubt that it really was too much and she had to rest at home so we agreed to meet Saturday. The day comes and I get a text "I got called into work, so I may be a little late." She"s so fucking vague, and at this point I nearly explode because it"s almost the last straw. Text back "how late," knowing full well that if she was gonna be more than 30 min late I was going home, no response, text again, and she says 15 min. OK np, then she calls me and says she arrived, I go to find her, 2 min later calls me back and turns out she went to the wrong station (we had originally debated between 2 different places). We were seeing a movie in the station she was at in 2 hours, so instead of her coming to me I went to her (original plan was meet where I was, hang out then move to where she had gone for the movie) due to the new time constraint. I get there and go to the exit she said she was at and she was not there, so I call her "oh I moved to a different one" (ok thanks for informing me), I get to the new exit, she"s not there, call her "oh I"ll be right there" (she had been browsing the stores in the area). At this point I was fucking livid because, even though it was all little shit, I"m thinking at the end she was the one who fucked up and wasted 45 min she damn well better be sitting at the station waiting for me. Instead she makes me wait yet again because she wants to not be bored and go store browsing. Totally fucking inconsiderate.

Up until this point I have always been patient and understanding, not demanding anything (this was a mistake, I did not set boundaries of acceptable behavior with me). I asked her in a serious tone if she is actuallyattemptingto drive me crazy, and pretty much didn"t talk to her for the first hour. I thought this was preferable to yelling at her which is the only thing that would come out if I opened my mouth. She was apologizing profusely, then moved to looking really sad. I tell her she can be sorry all she wants, and I won"t be angry forever, but if we don"t change something it"s gonna happen again, so we have a problem to solve. Of course this is a foreign fucking language (no pun intended) for girls because girls only connect that problem = sad, rather than problem = find a solution, so nothing was volunteered by her.

Fast forward, I slowly am less angry, we have a good time blah blah but I never reassured her or condoned her behavior. Towards the end of the day I brought it up again. I explained that 3 months into living here, living in Korea has become excessively aggravating (a natural phase apparently of living in another culture), and I have to deal with retards and incompetent people every day at work, plus my job was some bait-and-switch and is the most tedious job on earth. I told her I have enough aggravations, I can"t deal with more from her.

I continued saying that we also face enough difficulties living so far apart, with the work schedules that we have, AND the language barrier. Even though her English is really good, complex things are very difficult to communicate. So if we want the relationship to work, we can"t add in canceled plans and suspicious excuses to the mix. I said I think we should both (I meant just her, but I was trying to avoid coming down on her because female minds tend to turn off when they feel bad) put more effort into making plans and sticking to them, and to be more communicative with each other. She was agreeable to the suggestion, but I expect that it was only because I didn"t give her an option to not agree.

My key mistake was, once again, once I realized I liked her, I stopped being challenging and setting expectations. I always bust on her, tease her for shit, and keep my manly stature around her (contrived body language that has since become habit). But I obviously failed to convey that there is a range of acceptable behavior with me, or I must have. If things had gone perfectly, I woulda looked back and thought that I handled everything great, but its because they didn"t that I look back and think I MUST have done something poorly.

I"m not really sure how to go about it now. I don"t have a lot of confidence that our talk motivated her at all to improve. I think at best she will just do what I said to appease me. I clearly at some point lost whatever it is that would make her eager to impress me. She had me still, wanting to impress her (though obviously hiding it), until yesterday. Now though, I have more of an "I don"t give a fuck" attitude, as in I am no longer afraid to do or say anything I want and I am in a position to regain control of things, assuming I haven"t already surrendered that position permanently. No doubt if she feels me pull away she will try to win me over again, but that is hard to convey when we see each other once a week and the aggravation is due to her canceling on me. How do I convey that at times like those?

I have no problem normally just saying that this is causing me too much aggravation and just ending it. In this case though, I specifically from the get-go committed to the plan of playing it the opposite way as I usually do, being extra patient, etc. because I need to learn more patience and to be less harsh. Plus, if I cut it off now my penis will murder me in my sleep because it seems to be quite a time investment with Korean girls and I am facing my longest dry spell by a factor of 4, and the holy land is close even given the shitty behavior by her. That being said, if how I go about trying to get some change (e.g. I pull away for a long period of time and she doesn"t pursue) ends up breaking us up that is fine, and I"m not afraid to use the best option even if it is high-risk.

I may be important to recognize that reading this, it may seem like she doesn"t give a shit period. That is the impression I sometimes get when we aren"t together, but when we are together she is super affectionate and completely into me in a nervous but revealing way. I"m pretty damn honest with myself too and the chances of me being fooled by a "I just want to practice my english" or "I just like the attention" hustler are pretty damn minute. So if you have advice, at least for the purpose of discussion ignore these possibilities.

So I"m looking for suggestions on how to get her more in the position of pursuer. Keep in mind Korean girls are much more traditional and don"t just assume that position easily. BUT on the other hand, I know that it is possible to arouse any emotion in any person with the right approach. BUT again on the other hand, history with her has shown that when I show interest, so does she, and when I stop communicating, so does she. Though I have not tested the breaking point of this. If I didn"t text or call her for a week, I"m sure she would reinitiate contact. I"m not above semi-manipulative games because that may possibly be the only thing that turns it around. So help me out here. By default I am gonna give her a very very limited opportunity to change how she is handling things and if I don"t see the effort I am either gonna tell her explicitly that she is gonna have to prove it to me (by traveling to my town and doing everything on my terms) or simply stop contacting her completely and let her be responsible for saving it or letting it go. I don"t know which is best, or if there is a better 3rd option. There is of course the option of doing exactly what she"s doing, making plans and canceling them on her, which would probably be the most effective option, but that"s really childish and I lose any "you are being a pain in the ass" moral high ground by doing that.

Crap_foh

shitlord
My general rule of thumb is if the problem with the bitch cant be summed up in less then a paragraph, get rid of her.

Rica86_foh

shitlord
Dabamf said:
Holy fucking wall of text
Sounds like in korea, the roles are totally reversed. That post came off totally whiney over little things. The real issue seems to be you guys live too far apart and don"t have enough time to spend together to make up for that. Thus you flipping out over the when plans are cancelled. You said she does it oftenly, but this recent time sounded fairly legit. I wouldn"t want to go traveling to go hiking, etc if i had pink-eye and was all groggy getting teeth pulled or whatever.

I"d say your best bet is just to cut her off and see how willing she is to keep it together. If you"re just going to be pissed off during the little time you guys have together, what is even the point. Better off just finding someone closer/you can spend more time with/won"t constantly blow you off or whatever.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Rica86 said:
That post came off totally whiney over little things. The real issue seems to be you guys live too far apart and don"t have enough time to spend together to make up for that. Thus you flipping out over the when plans are cancelled. You said she does it oftenly, but this recent time sounded fairly legit. I wouldn"t want to go traveling to go hiking, etc if i had pink-eye and was all groggy getting teeth pulled or whatever.
It was whiney, you are right. And you are right about the underlying issue. If we had more time, canceled plans wouldn"t be much of an issue and I would be able to handle it better. The frustration lies in the fact that I"m aware of the time difficulties and from the getgo made a point to work around them, whereas I don"t get the sense that she has.

The pinkeye is legit. It was more of a last issue. Three weeks prior she had canceled plans because she was "tired" as a result of staying out too late drinking with her friend, which was kind of a kick in the face to do that when you know you have plans the next day. The saturday after that was her bday and she had plans, but made plans with me the next day. The time came and went, we only had a rough meeting time so I didn"t travel to Seoul or anything, but rather just made no other plans (I usually hike with another friend on Sundays), and she texts me hours after our meeting time and said she just woke up. I expressed my irritation that if she couldn"t keep her plans after her bday, don"t make them in the first place. She understood & apologized. That wednesday we made it official, we had plans for the following wednesday which I actually had to cancel (and I went out of my way to make sure she knew that it was important and that I didn"t want to have to cancel), and then the friday was the hiking plans.

Even legit excuses though are suspect to me. She told me on the phone on thursday that her doc told her no contacts for a while (because of the pinkeye, that btw was completely reduced to simple redness by Sat), but she didn"t want to see me while wearing glasses because "I always have to look pretty for you." I told her I didn"t give a shit about that, blah blah, she felt good and reassured and then the dentist came up out of absolutely no where. She never said before she had a dentist appointment, and while I don"t think she made it up, I suspect that it only came up as an excuse because I wasn"t accepting the first excuse. The thing is, if it was because she wanted to do something with her friends instead of me, that woulda led to an easy "ok peace" solution, but it was because she was afraid to show me herself in a state that"s any less than perfect. But on the other hand I can"t deal with vanity or insecurity of that magnitude, but then again every fuckin Korean girl is like that and if I want to date one (I do even if just for sex & the curiosity) I gotta put up with it.

Fuck it"s pretty clear after typing all that that the headache is just too much. It"s a lot of bullshit to deal with and I"m not a patient man in the first place. Plus I have a lot of other aggravations in my life right now that have me wound pretty tight and unable to tolerate them in other areas of my life that are supposed to be fun. She is not acting like she"s in a relationship or at least how I think she should act, and I am and that is causing the aggravation. Maybe I should reduce our relationship in my mind, from a relationship that I am putting all the work into, to a once a week (or less) casual meetup that isn"t guaranteed with a person I happen to like spending time with. Eliminate expectations and a lot of the frustrations are eliminated, plus the added bonus of really knowing where she stands, and if she actually does care she"ll adjust her behavior accordingly. What do you think about that?

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Guess your plan sounds good.

It really doesn"t look like she"s putting inanyeffort to meet you. Might be a cultural thing too... I don"t know.

My GF was really busy in the 3 weeks we dated, but when we had plans she stuck to them because she wanted to see me, no matter how late it would get (we both have to get up at 6AM at the latest, so more than once we met at her or my place, idled around for a bit, and then went to bed and actually slept).

So if this woman claims she wants to be your girlfriend, she must adjust her behaviour.

Be aware that you may end up single if you push too hard / give her a taste of her own ... but I guess you"re fully aware of that.

I actually feel sort of bad for not being able to give you more and better advice, because I"ve always enjoyed your input on my issues.

Alcestis_foh

shitlord
Will do my best at long, thoughtful advice. God forbid I need it from you myself, one day. =)

I can understand your hesitance in backing the intensity of the relationship off, especially if this girl is truly not like other Korean girls. The thought of "goddamn I came this far, might as well tough that shit out and hope the payoff is worth it... because it"ll beharderand longer with other Korean girls" has probably occurred to you many times. I think I may remember seeing it in an earlier post of yours, actually.

I have not been in Korea, so I can not truly speak to this, but I"d imagine if a girl truly wants to spend time with her date she"d make some movement.Anymovement. "Cultural difference" be damned: I don"t believe reciprocity, courtesy, and showing even a modicum of interest in someone stops at a country"s borders. Neither does she sound like she"s putting you above or anywhere near herself. Going window shopping while you wait for her when she was the one already quite late? In the Philippines we had this thing where time was variable: "show up to my party at 5" actually meant "come at 6:30 or later, riding up at 8 is fine too". Some places just don"t follow the clock that closely, and Korea may be one of them. But both of your time is limited as it is, your schedules difficult to coordinate, AND it"s just the two of you? Come on. That was completely inconsiderate of her and just plain fucked up; I don"t give a shit which part of the world you"re in.

At this point, I"d honestly cut off the dating relationship in a girlfriend/boyfriend sense. Your last paragraph is a decent band-aid solution. You"re not at a good point in your life to take on added stress, and it"s clear this scenario is causing you more than what you"re (reportedly) getting out of it. Any girl"s bullshit is magnified 10x worse when you"re in that state. Not implying you"re mentally unstable or anything insulting of the sort. I"m merely saying this may not be the best time to deal with this junk.

Honestly you sound like someone who"s taking the frustrations from working in Korea (which I know, can be fucking mindnumbingly frustrating) and kind of associating them with her. I know exactly how it feels to get all worked up about the 9,000 little annoying things that bother you while living there. Or, it really could be her.

Still, I"d say take a step back and take a deep breath, figure out where your frustrations lie and who they"re really directed at. Or, I can tell you, you hate your boss. Or at least that"s what happens for everyone that I"ve met who worked in Korea.

Hope it works out man.

Arbuste_foh

shitlord
Dabamf, you"ve been acting like a pussy and doing the exact opposite of everything you usually advise in this very thread. And then, you justify it by saying it"s the Korean way for men to act like that.

Who gives a shit about the Korean way? If that girl wanted the Korean way, she"d be dating a Korean guy. As a foreigner working there, you"ve already got a big advantage over other guys. Act like an American, make your country proud, and treat her as she deserves.

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
This has nothing to do with a dating relationship (except tangentially), but I wouldn"t be able to live with myself if I made a new thread for the bullshit I"m about to write and there"s been some good information dispensed here, so here we go:

I"m a recent college graduate who"s heading abroad in about a week for an indefinite period of time. Since the latter-part of high school I"ve had two great friends at home (that is, where I grew up), the only friends I actually hung out with, did shit with, etc. They were actually friends with each other before I knew either of them, but with time they grew apart and I was friends with them separately. Anyways, I was tight with both of them throughout college despite me being away from home and them staying local; whenever I"d be back on breaks I"d always get together with each of them a bunch of times.

To back up a little, let"s call one of the friends Nagafen and the other Trakanon (Nag and Trak, for short). Nag was always more immature, but in (to me) a good way: funnier, wilder, just more of a "kid" and more of a blast to hang out with. Trak was more serious and "adult", hence their growing apart. Anyways, I was surprised to learn, a little before I graduated last month, that Nag had (his first) girlfriend -- it was always hard to imagine him acting calm and subdued enough to be with someone, but I guess everyone grows up to some extent eventually.

I returned home from school in early May and, knowing as we all did that I would be gone in about a month (and for long time), I figured I"d be hanging out with Nag and Trak a lot as a last hurrah. That was the case with Trak, but Nag seemed a bit aloof. I saw him only sporadically at first, three or four times over the course of a month, and recently he"s been almost totally distant. Sometimes he"s at work and when he"s not at work, he"s with his girlfriend. One time, about a week and change ago, we arranged to all go to a movie together (me, him, his GF) -- we did, and it was good times, though it was odd to see him as tame as he was around her (one might say whipped). Anyways since then, despite my overtures, he hasn"t wanted to get together at all. I feel like a chick, almost: I ask him what he"s doing, get dead-air or a brush-off, and we leave it at that -- and then I"m simmering, wondering what the fuck his deal is.

Anyways to cut this gayness short, do I confront him on shit? Do I just let it be and whatever happens happens? Honestly I fucking hate losing friends; I did a lot of that, churning I guess you can call it, growing up -- different best friends every few years as I fell out of touch with the previous. Natural in elementary/middle/high school as hobbies and interests and people change, but at this point I"d like to hold onto what I have. It"s possible the way he"s acting is a defense mechanism against me going abroad; perhaps he"s pissed at me and he"s being distant and shit just to cope. Maybe he"s really just super-whipped. Not sure. Sorry for this tl;dl shit. Thoughts?

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Kill him and hope for a cobalt bp!

Nah, all bs aside it sounds like he"s super whipped to the point where he"s shedding off friends. Tell that bastard bros before hoes and if he doesn"t come around then fuck it. Some people just don"t value loyalty when it comes to friendships.

Alcestis_foh

shitlord
To me, his behavior doesn"t sound like a defense mechanism against you going, since you took time to keep in contact with them while you were away at college. Sure, you"ll be abroad for an indefinite amount of time, but that doesn"t mean a contact blackout. It doesn"t logically follow, but we can"t discredit the above reason, as people get emotional in strange ways.

Letting it stew would be a woman-like (lol misogyny) "there"s something wrong but I"m not telling you, I"ll just seethe" thing to do. That"s pretty lame. If I"m leaving for a while, I"d want to get my business squared away before going. Confront him about it, but don"t bring up what you think his aloofness is about, at first. He might not even realize he"s doing it, or it might be a completely unrelated reason hidden from overanalyzing eyes. Only one way to find shit like that out.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I used to be the same way honestly...
Whenever I had a new girlfriend, I fell off the face of earth and only got burped back up after she dumped me.

I managed to get rid of that annoying behaviour over time though. But between 17 and 25, guilty as charged.

I"d say leave him be, and be there for him to cry his eyes out on your shoulder after she leaves him for the quarterback. Practical BrosB4Hos lesson.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
First off, thanks everyone for the input and advice on my situation. It was a good bit of advice and all constructive, so thanks.

For ancalagen: I would bring it up to him, not in a whiney "we never see each other" kind of way, but just point out that since he"s been dating this girl you"re wondering why he never seems interested in hanging out anymore. It"s a new and exciting relationship and you understand that, but its dangerous to spend all your time with one person at the cost of excluding everyone else.

Most likely, it won"t do anything, but alcestis is right that if its buggin you, you have to bring it up and give him the opportunity to change it.

It sucks losing friends to girls. I"m just like you, I cycled through tons of friends as I was growing up, never sticking with one for more than a couple years. In college I made a big group of friends that lasted for all 4 years, but most moved away and only 2 stuck that I continued to hang out with afterwards. And my best friend ended up meeting a girl and basically let her eat his soul. He"d time to time say (usually when they were fighting) "damn, we need to start hanging out again" but he never changed anything. And if they ever break up, and for his sake I pray they do, he"ll be talkin to me all the time again. I"d always have his back for shit but he was only there when it was his convenience. Sad thing is most people are like this and if they show it a little, like your friend is, he"s probably one of those guys.

But again, be an adult and give him the opportunity to recognize the problem and fix it.

Snugglebear_foh

shitlord
Ronaan said:
I don"t get it - language barrier.
It"s just a joke from an american movie called The 40-Year-Old Virgin. I guess it means that you are treating a woman (the pussy) too nice (as if she were a golden idol deserving to be placed upon a pedestal, like in Indiana Jones, tell me you have Indiana Jones in fucking Germany for fuck"s sake man).

Snugglebear_foh

shitlord
Ancalagon, if you bring up that he"s a whipped bitch you risk being called a woman too. Letting it stew is womanly, but so is confronting a man about not giving you attention. I"d say just let it go. I"ve had lots of friends who get into relationships where they have to spend 99.9% of their time with their girlfriend. Then they break up. Usually the friendship resumes and they learn a lesson. Or they fall into WoW and all the former friends get to watch said person slide into a much more satisfying addiction.

Dabamf, you are not chorean peeprle, you no understand.

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Snugglebear said:
Ancalagon, if you bring up that he"s a whipped bitch you risk being called a woman too. Letting it stew is womanly, but so is confronting a man about not giving you attention. I"d say just let it go. I"ve had lots of friends who get into relationships where they have to spend 99.9% of their time with their girlfriend. Then they break up. Usually the friendship resumes and they learn a lesson. Or they fall into WoW and all the former friends get to watch said person slide into a much more satisfying addiction.
Well I"d be much more inclined to let it play out if I wasn"t taking off in a week. As is, I agree with an earlier poster who admonished me to get my things in order before I leave, one way or another. So being as not "womanly" as possible, I think I"ll make yet another effort to get together with him tomorrow (he blew off tentative plans today for the nth time), and if I get the brush-off I"ll broach the subject in as chill a way as I can.

Thanks for all the input.