Girls who broke your heart thread

Dabamf said:
Haha yea this. It could ruin any chance you had, or make her 5x more into you.

TheCutlery, jesus dude. It"s like you take everything that is true in life and say the opposite. I"ll go ahead and tell you that, as the product of a marriage that stayed together "for the kids," it"s the worst fuckin idea ever, almost as bad as beating up a guy that cuts you off or any girl on earth marrying grobbee.

P.S. Brad, anorexia isn"t about attention, it"s about control. Same issue, different symptom.
dude...i know its been said before 100x by more than just me....and he just gave you the reasons behind it.

cutlery is pretty obviously trying to convince himself over anyone else that marriage is teh bestest. and the fact that he just told you that its ok to get married for the kids should be a pretty big indicator as to whats really going on and why he"s doing the hard sell on marriage being the only life worth living.

when his kids grow up knowing that dad perpetrated the greatest fraud of their lives he"ll have to deal with that.

my dad does.

if cutlery wants to walk that path thats fine, but dont make an attempt to legitimize his not-so-secretly-self-loathing-misery-loves-company inspired diatribes by responding to them seriously.

He didn"t say it"s the bestest. He just said that people do it, he can give it a shot, and things"ll turn out fine. People have gotten married for lots of reasons, and it"s worked before. I can point to any number of marriages of love that fall apart or stay together, the same way any number of marriages for any number of reasons fall apart or stay together and turn into something else.

Too many people trying to control what they can"t in this thread.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
GrobbeeTrull2.0 said:
Too many people trying to control what they can"t in this thread.
And arguably just as many not exerting enough control on things that they can/should.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Etoille said:
cutlery is pretty obviously trying to convince himself over anyone else that marriage is teh bestest. and the fact that he just told you that its ok to get married for the kids should be a pretty big indicator as to whats really going on and why he"s doing the hard sell on marriage being the only life worth living.
You"re a fucking retard, plain and simple. You"re a goddamned E-lawyer, an E-psychologist, and a E-dipshit. I have never once said fucking anywhere that my marriage is the best. It"s pretty good, however. We"ve been together for 11 years and don"t hate each other and don"t fight much. That"s pretty much all. Pretending that I"ve claimed otherwise doesn"t further your point.

That being said, is it easier? It sure the fuck is. Reducing expenses, combining incomes, allowing the both of you to be under one insurance plan...yeah, you guys are right, there"s sure no financial benefits there. I"m sure that none of that stuff has never played a part in a decision to get married ever. I"m also pretty sure that ""shotgun" weddings are still basically the norm in a lot of this country when a pregnancy is involved. Pretending that marriage is a decision that is solely based upon your love for another person is fallacy, plain and simple. Stop reading into shit and inferring your fucking problems on me. Sure looks like Daddy didn"t love you, so I guess you should just be lucky you"re too fat to dance on a pole and stop pretending you have all the answers.

Tarrant"s situation is simple. The dude knocked a chick up. You guys are gonna pass judgement on that? Didn"t we have a discussion a few pages back about STD scares? So that means anyone involved in that discussion clearly isn"t using condoms every time. You really wanna throw stones at a guy for that because you"re a couple thrusts away from being in the same boat? Don"t sit there and preach and pretend like it couldn"t be you, because it could.

Now, he"s got a couple of choices. He can be a deadbeat dad...bolt, change his address and his phone number and never talk to her again. Hey, that"s sure an honorable road to follow. We should all be pressing him into this situation so that we"ve got some fresh blood for this thread in 18 years.

Or, he can try his best to make the situation work. It is what it is, all you can do is make the best of it. Everyone dogging marriage as being a permanent, life changing decision with far reaching consequences is on the right track, but falls short of the goal. The benefit of marriage here is that it"s a lot more work to dissolve it. You guys just break up with chicks over email or some shit when things aren"t looking good. There"s no incentive to work things out because breaking up and moving on is a lot less work. If you"re married to the girl, there"s a built in hindrance to that mindset. Getting divorced is a much more time consuming matter than simply sitting down and talking about your issues in an attempt to resolve them and stay together. Can you still break up with your wife? Sure, if the differences are so deep that you can"t reconcile them at all, that"s an option. But at least it prevents one of you from flying off the handle and ending it in a fit of rage over one night.

If we weren"t married, my wife and I wouldn"t be together right now. I"ve fucked up pretty badly before, and I"m not afraid to admit it. I wouldn"t have blamed her for leaving me. But she stuck around long enough for me to realize that I was being a fucking dumbass, and when I took steps to correct the problems and be who she needed me to be, she was still talking to me because we were married. The same could not be said if we weren"t. My kid would be shuffled back and forth between homes, treated like some kind of commodity in a sick game of cat and mouse, and not receiving the benefit of an upbringing in a stable home with both parents. If you don"t think that"s a worthwhile benefit for a child, then we"re just never going to agree on things.

My marriage isn"t some fucking utopia. I"ve never said it was. We"ve both fucked up pretty badly, but the bond is a lot more than skin deep. We"re not some passing fad like your girlfriend, who you can dump when you get sick of (or when she"s sick of you). There"s an incentive to sit down and work shit out and not resent each other. I don"t speak because I"m trying to convince myself that my marriage is great. I speak from experience, which is something a good many of you lack.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Arguments between Etoille and TheCutlery are great. I don"t care who wins as long as someone is being made a fool.

P.S. TC you fail bc you didn"t make an eating reference.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Dabamf said:
Arguments between Etoille and TheCutlery are great. I don"t care who wins as long as someone is being made a fool.

P.S. TC you fail bc you didn"t make an eating reference.
What are you talking about? I thought the too fat to dance on a pole thing was good enough.

I shall train harder!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don"t think anyone in this thread seriouslyneverwants to get married but I believe most of us only wish to be married when the situation and the timing is right. Getting married because you knocked a chick up, imo, is not the best timing or reasoning behind getting married. Again, this is an individual choice. Most of the people in the thread realize there are multiple paths to walk but you always come off as "If you"re not married you"re not happy." That is completely and absolutely false. I"m happy, I"m sure Dabamf is happy and Eomer seems fairly content as well. I"ve never been one to have overly strong bonds with pretty much anyone including even my parents. I can lead a content life knowing I"m just that kind of person. Will I be married in the future? With almost complete certainty I can tell you I will. However, I will not get married because I feel pressured or if it is because I society views it as the "right thing to do." Call me an idealistic romantic but I believe marriage should be above love - not health insurance. I am completely blessed to come from a household where my parents have lovingly been together for over 30 years. I can count the amount of shouting-level arguments they"ve had on one hand. Do I think marriage is great? Yes, I certainly do. Do I think it is a prerequisite for happiness? No. Does George Cloony strike you as an unhappy man? Howard Stern? I honestly do believe that a single loving mother is better than a child growing up in a household with a bitter divorce and the parents hate one another. The parents will always talk shit about one another to the kid and he"ll feel like nothing more than a pawn in their sophomoric game of emotional chess.

Long story short: if you"re getting married because you feel it"s the "right thing to do" I sense an imminent fail.

Tenks

Tarrant220 said:
FYI, I didn"t ask her to marry me simply because shes pregnant.

Anyways, carry on.
Then you asked a girl you"ve known less than a year to marry you. Either way I wish you luck but I"m a realist. I"d say the absolute bare minimum time I"d consider marrying a chick is if I was with her two years. I"d prefer more around three.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Tenks said:
Then you asked a girl you"ve known less than a year to marry you. Either way I wish you luck but I"m a realist. I"d say the absolute bare minimum time I"d consider marrying a chick is if I was with her two years. I"d prefer more around three.
And I think the point is that it"s different for everyone. The wife has a friend who was with a guy for 7 years, and he never asked her to marry him. They broke up in September.

Just because you"d personally feel that 2, 3, 7, 10, 50 years is what you need for you, doesn"t mean that it"s what anyone else needs for them. Obviously relationships can go into the shitter at any time, and if that"s your concern, then maybe you shouldn"t get married at all. After all, I saw a relationship go to shit after 7 years...your 3 is clearly too short.

Tenks

I"m well aware putting specific timeframes on things is rediculous. I"m not saying I"m staying hard-and-fast to my rules. I am simply saying I"ve been in quite a number of relationships that were all roses until about 6 months, problematic from 6-9 months and ended around 9 months. Therefore I naturally assume that doubling that time would be in my best interest. I know relationships can end at any point but I don"t see how you can possibly truly get to know someone in that short amount of time. Hell my best friend and I have known each other since about third grade and I still learn new personality traits and ticks about him.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Tenks said:
I"m well aware putting specific timeframes on things is rediculous. I"m not saying I"m staying hard-and-fast to my rules. I am simply saying I"ve been in quite a number of relationships that were all roses until about 6 months, problematic from 6-9 months and ended around 9 months. Therefore I naturally assume that doubling that time would be in my best interest. I know relationships can end at any point but I don"t see how you can possibly truly get to know someone in that short amount of time. Hell my best friend and I have known each other since about third grade and I still learn new personality traits and ticks about him.
That"s because as a person, you"re constantly changing too. I"m not the same man I was at 19. Or at 25. I suspect I will be a different man at 35. There comes a point when you just need to put aside the over analyzation and do what feels right. Your wife isn"t going to be the same person she was at 25 when she"s 35 too. Where does it end? Might as well just do what feels right at the time, you can"t plan for what kind of person you"re going to be in 10 years, or what kind of person your spouse is going to be in 10 years.

Hell, was watching some false conviction thing on TruTV last week, dude gets sent to jail for the rape and murder of his wife"s mother, his wife worked for years and years, doing forensic science on her own to get him vindicated. After he got out of prison they divorced. She devoted her life to vindicating a man she believed in, and their marriage still couldn"t survive something of that magnitude. It"s love, man. It"s not quantifiable, it can"t be measured from the outside world. Are people going to make mistakes? Sure. But it"s your own to make, no one else is even qualified to make the decision for you.

Brad2770

Being married doesn"t make walking away any harder. If the person is done, they are done. When you find the right person for "you", it will last a life time with or without a piece of paper saying so.

I would like to believe I will never get married again. I also do not plan for more children. It"s going to be difficult to find someone that would respect that.

redslash_foh

shitlord
TheCutlery said:
If you"re married to the girl, there"s a built in hindrance to that mindset. Getting divorced is a much more time consuming matter than simply sitting down and talking about your issues in an attempt to resolve them and stay together.
Your proposal must have been awesome. "Honey, it"s a tax shelter that traps us together because it"s more convenient to talk than divorce! It"s like a free-money prison!"

"But don"t you want to marry me out of love?"

"Whatever, I SEEK POWER AND WEALTH"

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
TheCutlery said:
You guys are gonna pass judgement on that? Didn"t we have a discussion a few pages back about STD scares? So that means anyone involved in that discussion clearly isn"t using condoms every time. You really wanna throw stones at a guy for that because you"re a couple thrusts away from being in the same boat? Don"t sit there and preach and pretend like it couldn"t be you, because it could.
I brought it up, and had been using a condom. If your partner was possibly exposed to an STD, which apparently mine was even though it was unlikely she had contracted anything, you get tested whether or not you were using a condom.

Tenks said:
I"m happy, I"m sure Dabamf is happy and Eomer seems fairly content as well.
I"ve been hating life recently, but it has little or nothing to do with women!

Brad said:
I would like to believe I will never get married again. I also do not plan for more children. It"s going to be difficult to find someone that would respect that.
Really? Most girls I meet are of the typical variety that at some point would like to have children, but I"d say that a solid 20-30% of women in their late mid to late 20"s that I know at least outwardly claim that they"re not interested in children. Whether that"s actually the case once they find the right guy is another story, but if that"s what you"re after I wouldn"t have such a pessimistic viewpoint on finding someone else who"s on the same page.

Tenks

Yeah my current girlfriend has the "I don"t want kids" outlook but I think she"s just being bitter. She also seems hella scared of child birth. I hope not because children are something I want in my future.

Women marry men hoping they"ll change, but they don"t. Men marry women hoping they never change, but they do.

And dude,
Tenks said:
Yeah my current girlfriend has the "I don"t want kids" outlook but I think she"s just being bitter. She also seems hella scared of child birth. I hope not because children are something I want in my future.
Don"t get too serious with her until she"s aware of your future children wants or you"re in for a world of hurt.

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
No...no...he had it right the first time.

Since I"m posting put me in the "Don"t get married" crowd. A quick google search on divorce laws is a good enough reason to not get married. Hell, the only state that doesn"t have no fault divorce is New York.