Girls who broke your heart thread

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Sharmai said:
Combined oral contraceptive pill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every male should know this statistic and how scary it is. If you have sex with a women on the pill twice a week for a year that"s one baby if she is a typical use type.
Nope. You don"t understand how that statistic works. If you have sex with a women twice a week for a year, there is an 8%(not really, more on this later) chance that you"ll have a baby under typical use rates. Those numbers are your chance of failure for a years worth of sex, not for each instance of sex.

As for the 8% number, that"s a number that is basically an average of the people who use BC with various levels of effectiveness. The people that fail at using BC so completely that they basically aren"t on it bring that average failure rate up. It"s not like any given user has an 8% chance of failing at using birth controls. You have your complete failures, your "oh shit I forgot two days in a row and now I"m pregnant" really bad luck users, and your perfect users all contributing to that number.

Basically all you need is 1 in 12 women who are on BC pill to fail at it and you reach that number.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sharmai said:
Me to! But I count it on luck not brains. I can"t imagine being absolutely perfect on taking a pill every day that wasn"t life or death essential. Also Tenks just imagine the girl you are with is blindly in love with you and right before you stick it in she can"t recall if she remembered to take her pill because of whatever.

Maybe she says no or maybe she makes you put on that condom or maybe she says "well I love him so it"s no big deal anyway" without seriously considering it any further.

I bet you that"s how a lot that 8% happens. And even if it doesn"t happen to you for 3 years it can still happen and it only needs to happen once.
Like I said most girls I know build the pill into their routine. When something becomes routine like that it is simply second nature. One of my girlfriends even excused herself from the dinner table at my parent"s place because her phone alarm went off. It was awkward but when that alarm went off the pill went in.

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
The Ancient said:
Basically all you need is 1 in 12 women who are on BC pill to fail at it and you reach that number.
I fail at statistics but that is still a pretty scary one all things considered.

Tenks think of it this way. This is completely ancedotal but how many people do you know who actually planned their pregnancy? Admittedly many I know didn"t plan their pregnancy but they were also nearly 30 and stable enough to handle it but if you think about it women falling in love and having unplanned pregnancies tend to happen more often even while using BC.

Around my workplace there is a running joke that when a 30 something guy gets married his wife gets pregnant a couple of months later. This despite all of us "including me" swearing we were going to have a good 5-7 years of child free honeymoon like sex first.

Just a word of warning.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Sharmai said:
I fail at statistics but that is still a pretty scary one all things considered.

Tenks think of it this way. This is completely ancedotal but how many people do you know who actually planned their pregnancy?
Much much much less than 1/12 of my female friends. We"ll go with 0/20.

I call BS on this notion that women have been taking the pill their whole life get married and suddenly, unexpectedly get pregnant right away. What happens is they go off the pill and then "Wow! We got pregnant right away, how unexpected!"

Seriously. Every single married couple I know who got pregnant right away and "didn"t want a baby right away" decided to go off BC and see how it went for a little bit.

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
The Ancient said:
Much much much less than 1/12 of my female friends. We"ll go with 0/20.

I call BS on this notion that women have been taking the pill their whole life get married and suddenly, unexpectedly get pregnant right away. What happens is they go off the pill and then "Wow! We got pregnant right away, how unexpected!"

Seriously. Every single married couple I know who got pregnant right away and "didn"t want a baby right away" decided to go off BC and see how it went for a little bit.
Absolutely agree. Though I think some women do it sub-counciously but I still agree. And they don"t even have to get married first. I"ve seen a couple women who were engaged and hopelessly in love suddenly end up pregnant after the BC "failed".

Honestly when that male contraceptive comes out it wouldn"t surprise me to see a sudden rise in the average age a man gets married And has kids.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
As you get older, your chances dwindle on fucking up the BC and getting lucky enough to get pregnant too, don"t forget that. I know a good chunk of you guys are nearing/passing 30, and it"s a pretty different game from the fertile 20"s. It took much longer to get the wife pregnant at 32 than it did in her early 20"s, and the people I know who got pregnant close to 40 were doing factory sex for years with no results.

So while women being retarded with the pill is a valid concern when you"re 18, you"re much better off if they"re over 30 just because the egg supply is starting to get down to the Wizardhawks of the bunch.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That"s right. The married women having babies right away that Sharmai was talking about are getting off of oral contraceptive because while they may not want a baby right now, they don"t know what their eggs are gonna do down the line so they stop "not trying" to have a kid even though they aren"t necessarily trying. It doesn"t serve as a valid counterargument to the effectiveness of the pill which is very effective.

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
I was aiming for the 5-7 year rule. The one where she is 23 and you are 28 when you get married and you are aiming to reach 35 with 5-7 solid years of rampant sex in various holiday locations with her still youthfully exquisite body before popping out 2-3 kids and settling down.

Just as an FYI Typical use of the pill was the statistic I meant when I quoted wiki. Not the .3% This does not include planned pregnancies when couples actively decide to stop using the pill. It does include examples like women who stop taking the pill as rigorously and/or taking things which might interfere with the effectiveness of the pill where they otherwise wouldn"t.

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
That"s a rather odd question. You aren"t taking the Kegkilla view of looking this are you?

If you are let me head you off because this has nothing to do with race. It does have everything to do with anecdotal evidence though but fwiw I work with 99% white people and 6 people (4 men 2 women) have gotten married since I started working here and all but one had unplanned pregnancies shortly after marriage.

It"s become such a running joke that we buy diapers for anyone who gets engaged.

It made me ask how common this was so I asked guys I know who got married if they had planned to have kids and I got a suprising number of "No"s". In the new daddy thread guys often talk about how the pregnancy was a surprise and unexpected. This is all anecdotal but I really think men are in general expecting many more years of childless sex before the children come.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Anecdotal evidence is pretty worthless but none of my married friends got pregnant by accident. Hell most of them still don"t have kids yet because they"re more focused on getting stable. Of the ones who do have kids it was more of a "We"re going to start trying" and then a few months later the chick is knocked up.

I can"t say the same for my facebook feed since it is full of failures and life rejects who are 26 and have 3 kids with a ton of different people. Then again these were also the idiots in HS.

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
Well there was a study on pubmed that showed a correlation between education level and when people got pregnant which might explain much since everyone around here only has bachelor degrees and they are the ones managing to get married or engaged before pregnancy.

It is atleast better then the high school education and 3 kids at 25 scenario.

Kenadul

Golden Knight of the Realm
Haast said:
And most importantly, wear a fucking rubber.
True, although I"m not the best role model here. Chicks not keeping up with their birth control almost correlates with their level of intelligence. I used to date a girl who wasn"t the brightest who would constantly forget to take it although the last thing she wanted in the world was a kid, her dumb ass was just forgetful about all kinds of things including that. Pulling out works wonders.