Gladiator fights coming to TV and such soon?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea I had a brother who did that for awhile, was pretty neat but definitely dangerous. This was back in the early days of carbon fiber knife fighting though.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea I had a brother who did that for awhile, was pretty neat but definitely dangerous. This was back in the early days of carbon fiber knife fighting though.
LOL, I love the use of tense there - did he die in it? (I'm sure he didn't but the tense being able to be taken that way amuses me)

Column_sl

shitlord
It will probly be awkward to watch. I've trained in Sayoc Kali for about a decade now, and we spar about once a week in pads with hard rubber knives.

As well as stick fighting. Even without the real weapons it hurts like a bitch.

Real sword, and knife fighting from the Philippines is very low effort, All killing blows. So with armor on this is going to be almost like tae kwon do imo. People using alot of moves that would in no way be efficient for real fighting. More like a sport

Will check it out if it ever airs

Vaclav

Depends on how light they keep the armor I'd imagine - if they manage to keep it in the 20-30 lb range where it's not much more than heavy clothing with good articulation it might be pretty close to authentic.

Column_sl

shitlord
I guess what I mean is, no one is going to die on the show. I assume it works off some kind of point system so people will use un conventional moves to score points.

Real sword (Machete/long blade) and knife fighting which is still heavily used in the Philippines, and where we get most of our techniques from is made to be a quick kill not to be drawn out.

When it does get drawn out its very clumsy to watch. Really not that exciting

Vaclav

Yea, if you read the article there's actually going to be sensors in the armor that actually record impact type and strength and have a scoring system (based on lethality of a strike with the same impact in a normal fight).

So assuming they do scoring properly (i.e. 1000 pts is a kill or something) and the sensors work correctly it should be somewhat fast if someone doesn't know how to defend against a one shot kill style attack. [actually making me think that they should have a "bleeding" score too - where some types of strikes should have extra score that they'd rack up over time for a bit to represent bleeding]

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Read the article, lots of the concerns are addressed.

I'm curious how the sensors/points are going to be handled. In real settings, swords, axes, staves, etc are deadly as hell, so it's largely who hits first that wins, fancy Hollywood fencing doesn't happen that much. If they keep damage from weapons calculated realistically, those fights could be pretty damn short.

Awesome to see axe welding Viking against samurai with katana, but next thing you know, player A being disembowled 2 sec in the fight might be a bit anticlimactic.

Vaclav

And similarly some stuff like Column's stuff involve pinpoint accuracy in relatively small hit zones. (And I'd imagine with deep penetration - not familiar with the style but most "one hit kill" stuff falls into that type of hit)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'll watch it, but they have a lot of challenges to overcome to make it both realistic and entertaining.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Having watched some of their demos I have zero interest in ever seeing anything like this again as they seem to have completely missed the point of fighting exhibitions completely; yes they are demonstrations of skill and physical prowess but just as important is the sense of danger and excitement we experience watching another frail human being expose themselves to physical harm while demonstrating that skill. What they have instead done is completely remove the human element from the equation and replaced it with what amounts to a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOT match with faceless automatons wearing full black impenetrable shells while going through the motions of swinging completely ineffectual weapons around... it just looks absurd. It amounts to watching those remote controlled robot duels if said robots were not allowed to destroy one another and shower the arena with sparks and shards of metal and were instead forced beat on one another with padded arms for score points.

Watching choreographed weapon exhibitions would probably be more entertaining.

Gruden

<Bronze Donator>
Is there anything in Islam prohibiting muslims from forcing infidels to fight to the death? "Infidel dog, win 5 matches and we will release you!" Could be a great source of funding for ISIS. Internet broadcasts, etc etc.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Holy shit, this white guy is like the perfect Walking Dead Zombie. But yea this demo was so boring, i can't fault the guy.

Column_sl

shitlord

Holy shit, this white guy is like the perfect Walking Dead Zombie. But yea this demo was so boring, i can't fault the guy.
Like I said earlier it's really boring to watch.It's not supposed be flashy like the movies. Allot of Knife moves don't need power or speed behind them to be lethal. Which makes it perfect for anyone to learn.
The chances you will meet a person as well trained as you is pretty slim so the first thing they teach you is the point system. You don't want a altercation to get where you you are not disabling them immediately, but if it happens you can regain control so that you are the feeder.

But yeah those are the trainer Knives you use while sparring.

I'm white so I know very little about the Philippines, but according to friends I have in class, the reason there is so many weapons martial arts coming out of that place is because there are so many small islands that fight all the time.

I know that's where we get Leatherneck from because so many Marines got there throats cut that they had to start wearing neck protection while on those islands.

Amazing system, that will save your life, if you can find a qualified teacher in your area.

Bahala Na is another good one, it has many similarities with Sayoc Kali but trains with sticks that simulate the machetes ( swords) they use in jungle warfare.

Sayoc Kali is not just Knives tho it teaches you to use all weapons. Knife And Gun, Axe and Knife, things that are in your environment etc
Knives are just really easy to conceal, and are legal up to a certain length in almost all states versus Guns that are much tougher to keep on you with out attracting attention.

Also very low effort to gut, or bleed out any man with a knife.

One thing I thought that was funny on that video was when she asked them do they carry weapons all the time. You really have to. You have to get used to deploying a weapon, because most people when adrenaline kicks in they will drop their gun, knives etc on the floor. It happens all the time.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Unless they bring in sharpened blades made of steel and chainmail for protection i have zero desire to watch.

Molten Core Raider