Gladiator - Ridley Scott's true interpretation

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think we are going to need to put Gladiator into the Alien timeline.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/rid...interview/8232

Movies.com: You throw religion and spirituality into the equation for Prometheus, though, and it almost acts as a hand grenade. We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

RS: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an "our children are misbehaving down there" scenario, there are moments where it looks like we've gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Lets' send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it. Guess what? They crucified him
- Ridley confirms that there was "a little too on the nose" idea that tried to connect Engineers to Jesus and that Jesus himself was an alien

- he brings up a theme of children and their parents (creation vs creator)

- he chooses to mention Roman Empire and it's endeavours to explain a 21st century science fiction movie about aliens and their motivations

It just so happens to be that Ridley himself made a movie that takes place in Roman Empire and which's themes (children and their parents, creation vs creator) heavily resonate and even rhyme with Prometheus.

It's called Gladiator.

- Gladiator takes place 2000 years before Prometheus. Around the same time when Engineers decided to invade Earth (via radiocarbon dating of the severed head).

- Marcus Aurelius has the same dysfunctional relationship with his son Commodus as Weyland has with his daughter Vickers. They both also "adopt" surrogate children: Marcus creates Maximus through his military career and molds him to a general (from a farmer) and Weyland literally engineers and puts together David.

There's a strangely similar scene in both of the movies. In Gladiator, Marcus Aurelius welcomes Commodus in his private quarters and denounces him from his natural right to become Caesar (who in turn kills him). And in Prometheus, Weyland gets a visit from his daughter in his private quarters. When he informs her of his plan to become immortal and therefore exclude her from taking over his business empire she wishes him death ("A king has his reign..."). There's even an act of kneeling present in both scenes.

- Maximus is propelled by his family being murdered and seeing them in his dreams/visions. Shawn has similar motivation regarding her father who she also sees in her dreams.

They both also carry items that remember them of this: Maximus with his figurines (keep that in mind for later) and Shawn with her crucifix.

Although Gladiator takes place in a time when practicing religion and worshipping various gods was heavily intertwined with every day activities, there's an extraordinary amount of dialogue that either connects or compares Maximus to gods and their status.

MAXIMUS General! Still alive?

QUINTUS Still alive.

MAXIMUS The gods must have a sense of humor.

They fondly embrace, Maximus cupping the back of Quintus head.

QUINTUS The gods must love you.

MAXIMUS (quietly) Ancestors, I ask you for your guidance. Blessed Mother, come to me with the god's desire for my future. Blessed Father, watch over my wife and my son with a ready sword. Whisper to them that I live only to hold them again. Ancestors, I honor you and will try to live with the dignity you have taught me.

HAGEN The gods favor you. Red is the god's color. You will need their help today.

PROXIMO The young Emperor has arranged a series of spectacles to commemorate his father, Marcus Aurelius. I find it amusing since it was Marcus Aurelius, the wise, the all-knowing Marcus Aurelius, who closed us down. So finally after five years of scratching a living in flea infested villages we are finally going back to where we belong, the Colosseum. Oh, you should see the Colosseum, Spaniard. 50,000 Romans watching every movement of your sword, willing you to make that killer blow. The silence before you strike, and the noise afterwards. It rises, rises up like.like.like a storm, as if you were the Thunder God himself.

JUBA Is that a sign of your gods?

Maximus nods, a sardonic smile spreading across his face.

JUBA Will that not anger them?

Maximus smiles at the irony of the question and continues to scrape.

LUCILLA The gods have spared you. Don't you understand? Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome.

MAXIMUS The gods have spared me? I am at their mercy with the power only to amuse a mob.

These are all of course either figures of speech or comparisons being made and can't be taken literally...but (and here comes the leap of fate) they can also be seen as allusions to Maximus being one of the emissaries (plural!) that the Engineers send to Earth in order to try to parent us. Bringing over extraordinary individuals that can inspire others and lead.

Saying Maximus is blessed by gods (creators=Engineers). Praying to his ancestors to guide him and to be able to honour them with dignity they taught him. Seen as being favoured by god. Having control over people that can only match those of gods (or god like creatures). Rebelling against his supposed creators (military) that Juba compares to rebelling against gods (again, rhyming with parenthood). And Lucille mentioning his power over Caesar and the people of Rome who Maximus doesn't really care about since he's in it to make it through to afterlife...which brings us to Jesus. There are a lot of things that both Jesus and Maximus have in common:

- they are both seen as blessed

- they personally inspire and lead a group of men

- they believe in afterlife and are ready to sacrifice everything mortal

- they don't use their power for their personal interest (Maximus taking over Rome)

- they are both sure they will meet their families in after life

- they both get stabbed

And Maximus dies inside a Colosseum...a place where many supporters of a new and up and coming religion were brought in and killed...for following ideas and ideals started by Jesus...one of the other emissaries that Engineers sent over.

As the myth goes, Prometheus created man from clay and stole fire from Gods for humans to use. Maximus dominates Barbaric hordes with fire at the beginning and as Juba lays the clay figurines of Maximus' wife and son to rest he symbolically ends the reign of humans that Prometheus started.

What I'm saying is this:

Maximus was, as Jesus, (un)knowingly sent to Earth to try and change us and our way of living and whose death was the breaking point for Engineers to decide to come over here and destroy/change the human species.

Gladiator is a prequel to Prometheus and part of Alien series.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't know about all that, but I'd watch Aliens vs a few Roman Legions as long as Gannicus and Titus Pullo were in it.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Man that movie was such a disappointment.

And I just realized this statement could apply to all of the movies mentioned.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
prometheus-coolstorybro-David-brometheus-MichaelFassbender-1339545123X.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
who would you rather bang, the mom from gladiator or charlize theron in prometheus

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Did you count Predator 1 and 2?

1) Gladiator
2) Predator
3) Predator 2
4) AvP
5) AvP 2
6) AvP Reqiuem
7) Bladerunner
8) Prometheus
9) Alien
10) Aliens
11) Alien 3
12) Alien:R

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Did you count Predator 1 and 2?

1) Gladiator
2) Predator
3) Predator 2
4) AvP
5) AvP 2
6) AvP Reqiuem
7) Bladerunner
8) Prometheus
9) Alien
10) Aliens
11) Alien 3
12) Alien:R
You guys are fucking idiots.

You forgot Predators.

Also, there were never three AVP movies. AVP 2 is AVP:Requiem.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
ITT: Tenuous movie theories.

The Hangover is based on South Park.
I understand that some correlations don't match up with either universe but there are a couple strong similarities:
After the gang of South Park hits high school, they grow apart. Cartman's mom finds Cartman's dad somehow in a raunchy, twisted episode. His dad is extremely rich and believes that home school is the best option for his slow son. Kyle and Stan remain close along with Kenny as they grow together and head off to college.
Alan is Cartman. He is the slow, judgmental fat kid that everyone hates but they always bring along. After his reunited parents have another girl he loses his mind. He stays in his mansion missing his group of old friends since high school. When he realizes that they're back because of his sister's wedding he wants them back, but plays the ole play hard to get routine
Stu and Phil are Stan and Kyle, two kids/adults who are always along for the horrible fun and crafty hijinks they get into with each other. They somewhat grew apart in college when Stan grew out the flavy mane and started getting girls while Kyle, upset being a pale ginger, goes into the medical field to change his hair color. Along the way he meets a very strict student aide that makes him switch to dentistry. His only love flamed out before the end of college and stuck with his college girlfriend.
Doug is Kenny. He never talks that much and is always in danger. Somehow always surviving such horrific accidents in high school made his poor parents move him away to Cali. He slowly grows up and heads off to college as a history major. After many different jobs around the world resulting in close death, he finally has enough to find his friends. Through all the pain they caused him in grade school he needed revenge. He sought out Alan's/Cartman's sister and married her up. Making sure all his friends were there for his bachelor party, he tells Alan/Cartman that it would be special if he spiked the drinks, making sure that Alan/Cartman was the one who thought of the idea. Of course, Alan/Cartman in his sick twisted mind, thinks its a great idea and steals the idea. Doug/Kenny waits until they get to the roof top to not sip on the contaminated drink and waits for them to leave before enjoying the rest of the night in his suite paid for by his horrible friends. He calls them throughout the night telling them to do horrible events on his revenge to-do list.

tl;dr gang from south park grows up, Kenny wants revenge by staging a fake insane night in Vegas.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Wait, isn't Cartman's mom his dad? It has been years since I watched that episode so I could be misremembering, but that would ruin your whole plan!