GMO, Monsanto, organic dreadlocked nonsense?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Look for "Free range" to indicate animals living as they should in a field, etc.
Just fyi - 100% grass fed beef is super gamey tasting, most people will not like it. You need to grain feed a butcher cow/steer a few months before slaughter, it will taste much better. Ranchers I know call it "finishing with corn".

Caliane

heh, I continually have to self-censor myself on Facebook, because I have a dozen or so friends who are hippy idiots posting shit about how chemotherapy will kill you, cancer is caused by GMO food, and the world could feed itself better if everyone had a garden in their backyard etc. Then again, there's about the same number of people who post inane shit like global warming being a hoax and that if we cut taxes in half suddenly all economic problems would magically vanish. So I guess it cuts both ways. Thankfully though, there's a silent majority that probably thinks the idiots at the fringes are, well, idiots.
to be fair. Chemotheropy will kill you..

That is entirely the point. Burn out the cancer with something way way worse. Kill the cancer cells and everything around them, there is nothing left to regenerate.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You're better off just ignoring the crazies on topics like this, unless you feel like arguing for the sake of argument(which can be fun). From my experience, reasoning with new age hippies is like reasoning with hard line religious people. They are not interested in reason, science, or whether or not their beliefs are actually true.

I was drinking a coke zero a week ago at work and my boss started telling me about how bad Aspartame is for you. I told her it's completely safe, but she ended up showing me some bullshit article about how it causes brain damage, multiple sclerosis, memory loss, methanol poisoning and a bunch of other shit. After I completely refuted every single point the article made, she still refused to accept that aspartame is safe. These kinds of people are so invested in their warped view of reality that they are completely uninterested in truth.
Yup. Aspartame is one of the most studied substances on the planet. It's "generally recognized as safe." It's a life saver for diabetics who want sugar-free sweets. All these supposed retarded things people blame aspartame on is complete bullshit.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Yup. Aspartame is one of the most studied substances on the planet. It's "generally recognized as safe." It's a life saver for diabetics who want sugar-free sweets. All these supposed retarded things people blame aspartame on is complete bullshit.
But it metabolizes into methanol and methanol is BAD for you!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Aside from Monsanto being evil(and the US legal system/patent office being half responsible for that), anyone who screams GMOs are bad should be go forced to live in Somalia or Ethiopia.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had a co worker ask me why I drink diet soda. Well, I want caffeine and I don't want to get fat. She says, I thought the diet stuff made you fat too. I'm like, there's no sugar in it. She says, so instead of sugar you're going to drinkchemicals?!?!I'm no scientist here, but I think sugar is in fact a chemical as well.
There are studies showing a link between obesity and diet soda, but not enough to be definitive I guess. The idea seems to be the fake sweeteners stimulating appetite in some way.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Or is it fatties eating more because they think theyre eating less with that diet soda?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't know one way or another. Generally, I feel better when I drink water instead of diet soda, but that doesn't mean anything. There is information out there suggesting that further study is warranted, though.

I have family members who will order the largest steak dinner then ask for a diet coke. I've seen them try the hippie wtf calorie lip service low calorie diet drink version before but it's a pointless discussion. They still insist it works.

If somebody wants to lose weight they will make it a point. Government regulations or restricting ingredients in soft drinks won't make a difference. My opinion at least.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
People always say that, about people ordering huge meals with diet sodas. Some people just don't like the overbearing sweetness of sodas, or just prefer the taste. Sure it's always fun to laugh at hambeasts murdering their meals for a second time with a diet coke, but whatever.

don't get me wrong, I think they should be free to ingest whatever the fuck they want, but when people like that bloomberg cunt stain decide to push soda restrictions or diet regulation it makes me shake my head.

Government has no business in what people eat. It's the families job to shame people into eating right. (shame to eating right or die trying!)

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I agree fresher foods taste better, bet would challenge your on your generalization that organic food taste better.
I think his point was that organic food is more likely to be fresh when you buy it in the store, in part because it just spoils quicker.

So fresh food -> tastes better
Organic food -> fresher
=> organic food -> tastes better

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
don't get me wrong, I think they should be free to ingest whatever the fuck they want, but when people like that bloomberg cunt stain decide to push soda restrictions or diet regulation it makes me shake my head.

Government has no business in what people eat. It's the families job to shame people into eating right. (shame to eating right or die trying!)
Sure in theory that sounds great. In reality those fatties cost each and every one of us, it is a societal issue. I don't think the answer is government restrictions, probably selective taxation is a better bet. But I don't buy this "government should stay out of what people eat" business at all.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless you buy produce on a daily basis, I'd think there's some value in it lasting longer at home too. I buy a bunch of bananas for a week supply, for example, and I surely don't need them browning any FASTER then they already do.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That sort of thing varies. Stuff like bananas or pepper keep longer, organic or not, than things like tomatoes or leafy greens.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
but when people like that bloomberg cunt stain decide to push soda restrictions or diet regulation it makes me shake my head.
The regulation sounds ridiculous, but it's actually grounded in solid and robust research findings.

People don't have a clear preference for whether they want a 24oz or 32oz soda. They know they're thirsty and they want a coke. So you're a business and you realize that soda costs you pretty much nothing to sell, but you can charge significantly more for larger sizes. Plus, the large sizes will seem like a bargain compared to the smaller ones - double the size for an extra buck! You have an incentive to keep offering larger versions, not because people will buy the largest, but because it makes the largest sizes less outrageous in comparison.

Thus, people will buy larger sodas, you make more money... and their health suffers, for which everyone pays.

Hence you end up with this huge sizes by various franchises: again, not because they actually expect you to buy this one, but because 42oz seems pretty reasonable when the largest is 128oz.
biggest-big-gulps-resized-watermarked-final.jpg

(I found this through Google Images; I don't get my facts from MJ.)

There's an arms race to offering larger sizes, because if one store gives you 128oz for some price, you can't very well charge the same for 32oz - even though the marginal cost difference is virtually nil. Hence why there's a case for regulation to step in and limit where this is going.

The same is true for other products, of course. Popcorn sizes in movie theaters are a wonderful example:

PopcornPortionSizeExample.png

(Image Source, taken from NPR)

Again, popcorn is dirt cheap to produce and nobody wants to be the guy with the maximum sized bucket. So the maximum keeps getting bigger, which in turn drives sales of the 3rd and 2nd largest products. (Great deal compared to smaller sizes! As long as you exclude health costs.)

Note that, particularly with sodas, you can usually still get a free refill that nobody is banning. It turns out, however, that people will drink a 32oz cup of soda, but if they get a 16oz cup, they won't go for the free refill. Why is that? If they had a clear preference for 32oz of coke, they'd go and get the refill. However, most end up not being thirsty after finishing even 16oz.

This actually plays into one of my favorite studies on the topic of eating:Bottomless Bowls

OBJECTIVE:
Using self-refilling soup bowls, this study examined whether visual cues related to portion size can influence intake volume without altering either estimated intake or satiation.

RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES:
Fifty-four participants (BMI, 17.3 to 36.0 kg/m2; 18 to 46 years of age) were recruited to participate in a study involving soup. The experiment was a between-subject design with two visibility levels: 1) an accurate visual cue of a food portion (normal bowl) vs. 2) a biased visual cue (self-refilling bowl). The soup apparatus was housed in a modified restaurant-style table in which two of four bowls slowly and imperceptibly refilled as their contents were consumed. Outcomes included intake volume, intake estimation, consumption monitoring, and satiety.

RESULTS:
Participants who were unknowingly eating from self-refilling bowls ate more soup [14.7+/-8.4 vs. 8.5+/-6.1 oz; F(1,52)=8.99; p<0.01] than those eating from normal soup bowls.However, despite consuming 73% more, they did not believe they had consumed more, nor did they perceive themselves as more sated than those eating from normal bowls. This was unaffected by BMI.

DISCUSSION:
These findings are consistent with the notion that the amount of food on a plate or bowl increases intake because it influences consumption norms and expectations and it lessens one's reliance on self-monitoring. It seems that people use their eyes to count calories and not their stomachs. The importance of having salient, accurate visual cues can play an important role in the prevention of unintentional overeating.
This study was published 8 years ago. It's really about time someone made use of it for regulatory purposes.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
People don't have a clear preference for whether they want a 24oz or 32oz soda. They know they're thirsty and they want a coke. So you're a business and you realize that soda costs you pretty much nothing to sell, but you can charge significantly more for larger sizes. Plus, the large sizes will seem like a bargain compared to the smaller ones - double the size for an extra buck! You have an incentive to keep offering larger versions, not because people will buy the largest, but because it makes the largest sizes less outrageous in comparison.
I wonder how much of it is because Americans suck at units? If instead of 64 ounces you said half a gallon, people would be like..."Woah, hold on a second. That's a shit load of soda." But instead they hear ounces and have no fucking clue. Or maybe liter. I'm not sure if that'd have any impact because the only thing we buy in liters is a 2-liter, and that's requiring a bit of math in itself to figure out that it's half of that.