God of War (2018)

spronk

FPS noob
yeah don't worry too much about hidden stuff there is absolutely nothing you cannot backtrack to, which makes certain areas easier - if you are ever finding yourself in a CGI-ish cutscene that entire area probably has no hidden items since its unlikely you will return to it. Don't waste too much time trying to go to places you think you should be able to go, you can always come back post game.

The world map is lame but it does tell you at least what parts you have done in each area, so you know you have 4 of 6 ravens done etc. I had to lookup some youtube videos for some of the ravens, puzzles, chests, etc since I couldn't find them on my own. None felt contrived though, just easy to miss. A game I definitely enjoyed getting the platinum on. You can get the plat on any difficulty, its not one of those games where you have to finish the game in the hardest mode or anything.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I definitely recommend either using a guide for the ravens or coming back to them later and using the guide. If you kill them as you go and are still missing some, it's going to be shitty trying to figure out which ones you missed.

The chests that you can't open will be accessible later on.

The map is great as it can track quests.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
How do you activate them? I’ve got them too but didn’t notice any additional function. I thought they were just cosmetic.
Guess I shouldn't be on this board and drinking rofl, finished a 5 year project and went on a binge, must have gotten playing around with abilities while figuring out Sigrun mixed up with thinking the shield skins had abilities rofl, ahh man at least Vegas for 2 weeks was a blast.

• 2Like
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 2 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I definitely recommend either using a guide for the ravens or coming back to them later and using the guide. If you kill them as you go and are still missing some, it's going to be shitty trying to figure out which ones you missed.

The chests that you can't open will be accessible later on.

The map is great as it can track quests.

There is also a enchanment you get from doing the Valk's makes it a ton easier to hit the flying Ravens..

Siliconemelons

Got this for Father's day :) lol - I haven't read anything and I actually enjoy the GoW story - I started on "normal" difficulty but...yeah I really suck and could not kill the giant... so story mode it was, and "the stranger" yeah even on normal I would have gotten wrecked because I suck.

It is a new feel and way of fighting from the other games, the others where between this and dynasty warrior swarm games.

But I am not far, just left the start area and headed up some. Story seems good and interesting thus far. Kratos typical grumpy dad

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I don't have a PS4 (yes, I deserve the ridicule) and don't really play but one game casually on my phone, but my little nephew got this recently and I only saw him play the first 30 minutes but was blown away by... well... everything about it. So I decided to watch This Movie of all the relevant parts of the game and it's honestly just as enjoyable as watching a quality, high-budget motion picture. I guess that's the level these games have evolved to now, which is really, really fucking awesome. I'm about 2 hours into the vid so I still have a lot to watch but damn this game is impressive; I obviously can't make any opinion on gameplay/fun (which I can safely assume is top tier) but cinematography-wise this may be the most amazing game I've ever seen.

If anyone has any other games that are enjoyable to simply watch as a film like this one is, please post some suggestions :)

If you enjoy GoW's story, you will love TLOU. Might be a better compilation out there, just linking this one as it has the most views. Probably one of the better opening scenes in recent gaming memory as well.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I love the YouTube series “Game Makers Toolkit”. He just released a spoiler free design analysis of the Leviathan axe. If you’re at all interested in game design, I couldn’t recommend this channel more strongly.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Finally beat it, what a journey.

Must buy for anyone on the fence.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got this for Father's day :) lol - I haven't read anything and I actually enjoy the GoW story - I started on "normal" difficulty but...yeah I really suck and could not kill the giant... so story mode it was, and "the stranger" yeah even on normal I would have gotten wrecked because I suck.

It is a new feel and way of fighting from the other games, the others where between this and dynasty warrior swarm games.

But I am not far, just left the start area and headed up some. Story seems good and interesting thus far. Kratos typical grumpy dad
I did too lol, I’m really enjoying the the game. I started out not loving it but as the game continues there was some moments that made me say “this game is sick” I haven’t finish it yet cause fuck the valkyries

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have to say this thread helped me infinitely more than the tutorial slog they force you through in the first few hours. I was about to walk away until I saw the tip a page or so back to have boy shoot his arrows on your locked Target by spamming square. I legit thought you had to manually aim so I was totally fuck this I can't precision aim for shit. I also figured out double tapping O is a real dodge. So I am finally getting the hang of the battle system as well. But I'm not going to lie those first few areas leading up to the lake were annoying as shit. Too linear and cinematic for my tastes. Now that I'm figuring out character customization, my Kratos is falling into his own (although I still feel like the RPG stuff is tacked on).

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I have to say this thread helped me infinitely more than the tutorial slog they force you through in the first few hours. I was about to walk away until I saw the tip a page or so back to have boy shoot his arrows on your locked Target by spamming square. I legit thought you had to manually aim so I was totally fuck this I can't precision aim for shit. I also figured out double tapping O is a real dodge. So I am finally getting the hang of the battle system as well. But I'm not going to lie those first few areas leading up to the lake were annoying as shit. Too linear and cinematic for my tastes. Now that I'm figuring out character customization, my Kratos is falling into his own (although I still feel like the RPG stuff is tacked on).
Granted, it’s been a while since I’ve played the original God of War, but there was experience, skill leveling, and combat items in all those games, weren’t there? Not sure which RPG elements you’re referring to, but the only complaint I had was that the crafting system wasn’t as polished as it could’ve been.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm a total GoW noob... I just assumed it was strictly action along the lines of the modern Ninja Gaiden games. I got it just because I could not resist the word of mouth this game was getting along with my adult nephew's glowing recommendation.

And complaint may be a little harsh. It just seems kind of tacked on in a world with no real respawns and what seems like finite resources. I just think a system akin to Zelda where you find power up items and what not throughout the world (They already do with this with life and rage) would have been better to an extent. However, the further I go, the less that even seems to be an issue as I already have most of the skills that I want already unlocked, so it most likely will be a moot point anyway.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just got this yesterday and stayed up most of the night playing it because I couldnt put it down. Got rekt many times too because i suck.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah the experience seems pointless pretty early on. I have unlocked almost every skill. I'm just waiting to hit level 5 so I can get the remaining ones. I guess you're supposed to focus on runic attacks later in the game.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm a total GoW noob... I just assumed it was strictly action along the lines of the modern Ninja Gaiden games. I got it just because I could not resist the word of mouth this game was getting along with my adult nephew's glowing recommendation.

And complaint may be a little harsh. It just seems kind of tacked on in a world with no real respawns and what seems like finite resources. I just think a system akin to Zelda where you find power up items and what not throughout the world (They already do with this with life and rage) would have been better to an extent. However, the further I go, the less that even seems to be an issue as I already have most of the skills that I want already unlocked, so it most likely will be a moot point anyway.
There's respawns and infinite resources, eventually =)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the experience seems pointless pretty early on. I have unlocked almost every skill. I'm just waiting to hit level 5 so I can get the remaining ones. I guess you're supposed to focus on runic attacks later in the game.
Sounds gross. I want to smash shit, not cast stuff :(

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
You don't have too use Runic(if you don't want too) if your playing on GoW diff though, it's pretty much required cause of the draugs ability too auto-level once they hit certain weakness points, it's a really awesome game, that has ties back to the original story, and also brings in tons of revealations as the story unfolds..

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well, about 50% through and all I have to say is that despite it not providing anything new or groundbreaking, it literally takes every aspect of the genre and executes it flawlessly. Mechanics, story, sound effects, graphics, voice acting-- it just can't get any more perfect than this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's respawns and infinite resources, eventually =)

I wanted to do jonesing but was afraid if it was a neg or not... so you got a like. Seriously that just made my day. Everywhere I've read it says nothing respawns (which is kind of a turn off for me). Very glad to hear that.